Old 12-02-2014, 02:28 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 47
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default My Great Putter Problem

First, I know there are a lot of putter decision threads (and I've read them all) but I still don't feel like I have found the perfect putter for me and I'm really itching to make a decision and stick with it. So, I thought I'd lay out what I'm looking for and see what you all have to say.

For some background, I'm more of a hybrid/spush putter. I to try to run straight at the pole, as opposed to some hyzer or anny line. I've used the Rhyno, Dart, Voodoo, Wizard, and Judge for my primary putting duties at various times in the past ~5 years... while also having some passing experience with the Aero, Aviar, PA1, Warlock, Magic, Warden, Pure, P2, Focus, Magnet, Challenger, and Anode. However, that's not to say any of those can't be THE putter for me. In fact, perhaps they are, but they didn't seem like it at the time. Feel free to let me know if I should go back to one of them.

So, here's what I'm looking for:

1. Shallow - I've got relatively small hands, and I feel like I can't get the grip I want with most putters. I use a fan grip and (with the Wizard specifically) I can barely get my finger pads on the flight plate. It's more than just rim depth, though, because discs like the PA1 have a relatively low rim depth but feel incredibly thick/awkward in my hand.

2. Stable/Overstable - I definitely don't want an understable putter. I prefer something pretty straight/stable, but I think I can handle something on the overstable side. Mostly, though, I want to be able to use my putter mold for drives as well as putts, and I want something HSS that won't flip off the tee.

3. Plastic Options - I want a grippy/chalky plastic. My favorite plastics are Gateway's Eraser and the Trilogy Medium/Blend. So something that feels similar would be awesome. I'd also REALLY like the putter to be available in a Champ or Star type of plastic for driving.

4. Bead vs Beadless - I have more experience with beaded putters and I like that they seem to retain their stability longer, but honestly, I really don't care that much. Blasphemous, I know.

5. Availability - This is probably the least important, but I'd prefer a disc that's not OOP or from a tiny company that's difficult to track down.

So, that's it, folks. My perfect putter... or at least what I think is my perfect putter. If there are other questions that are important to answer, let me know. But I'm really excited to see what you think will fit my description. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2014, 02:30 PM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 608 Times in 227 Posts

The judge is a nice little take on the wizard/bb aviar but features a lower profile.
Avaiable in champ style as well as several baseline feels. They fly stable to slightly OS off the tee and put nicely. Id say this would be an easy disc to give a go.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:37 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.9
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Have you tried a Harp? I have been having good luck with it for driving and putting. Its kind of a tweener so you have to adjust a little so you dont overshoot your target on longer putts. Fits the stability you are looking for. Nice plastic options including VIP. I would like to make it my only putter but am having a hard time giving up a more neutral putter mold like the Swan2 or Pure.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.7
Courses Played: 156
Niced 154 Times in 101 Posts

Zero Medium Pure. Shallow, great plastic, stable.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 48
Niced 887 Times in 598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exovel View Post

2. Stable/Overstable - I definitely don't want an understable putter. I prefer something pretty straight/stable, but I think I can handle something on the overstable side. Mostly, though, I want to be able to use my putter mold for drives as well as putts, and I want something HSS that won't flip off the tee.
I have never understood how people putt with stable to overstable putters. I guess i just don't have the power.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:50 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 18
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

I spush putt as well. I have 3 Pures, Zero Hard, Soft, and a RGL for driving. I love this putter. I started out using a Dart, then moved to a SSS Voodoo. I'll probably get the Pure in Opto as well (not impressed with the RGL mold.) and I'll deferentially get one in Frost if it comes. I don't have a lot of experience with OS putters. i'll likely try a Sinus out if I come across one cheap at PIAS.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 227
Niced 74 Times in 64 Posts

Maybe you could elaborate on what you didn't like about the Warden, Judge, Magnet and Challenger
Old 12-02-2014, 03:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 21 Times in 19 Posts

The tricky part is you want something that is stable enough to drive with as well.
I'd say wizard...
most straight putting putters aren't great for driving in my experience.
maybe you should copy some pros that putt straight up.
eric mccabe likes the mercy.
sarah cunningham i think uses a r pro aviar.
simon lizotte p2
not sure what michael johansen uses but it's pretty straight
i'm sure i'm missing a bunch of others
Old 12-02-2014, 03:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 39
Niced 181 Times in 68 Posts

I'm biased to the Judge, but if I had to suggest an alternative that fits into your criteria...

Vibram Ridge

Old 12-02-2014, 03:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 184
Niced 173 Times in 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcassidy1990 View Post
The judge is a nice little take on the wizard/bb aviar but features a lower profile.
Avaiable in champ style as well as several baseline feels. They fly stable to slightly OS off the tee and put nicely. Id say this would be an easy disc to give a go.
Agreed. Judge has really been successful as a more user friendly big bead putter. Lucid Judge is a solid driving putter, it's not quite as stable as a Wizard or KC Aviar but definitely has a good amount of glide. I've never putted with them, but the plastic feels nice and is readily accessible.