Old 05-24-2017, 09:07 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 54 Times in 34 Posts
Default Sheriff and Sword

I can bomb both of these discs. I do a ton of field work and it has recently come to my attention that they are almost identical. Anyone else get this? I bomb some broken in trespasses as well and they are not that different either, though the Trespasses do fade quite a bit more. But all 3 of them I bomb similar distances, throw on a slight hyzer, flip up, over a bit and fade back. I am not saying this is bad they fly beautifully. Just makes it hard to pick a disc to bag

I don't throw any of these for max d by the way. I throw the mvp catalyst. Is there really a way to tell which one of all of these really fast discs is the longest? Maybe include the Ballista, Shryke, and Destiny as well. I had some Ballista's and could crush them, ended up losing them. Considering getting another, but I hate chasing distance constantly with all of the new discs. Surely any one of those other discs can go almost as far. FYI I throw normally in the 350-400 range and can get out to 425 on really good rips.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2017, 10:38 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 59
Niced 150 Times in 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfonseski View Post
I can bomb both of these discs. I do a ton of field work and it has recently come to my attention that they are almost identical. Anyone else get this? I bomb some broken in trespasses as well and they are not that different either, though the Trespasses do fade quite a bit more. But all 3 of them I bomb similar distances, throw on a slight hyzer, flip up, over a bit and fade back. I am not saying this is bad they fly beautifully. Just makes it hard to pick a disc to bag

I don't throw any of these for max d by the way. I throw the mvp catalyst. Is there really a way to tell which one of all of these really fast discs is the longest? Maybe include the Ballista, Shryke, and Destiny as well. I had some Ballista's and could crush them, ended up losing them. Considering getting another, but I hate chasing distance constantly with all of the new discs. Surely any one of those other discs can go almost as far. FYI I throw normally in the 350-400 range and can get out to 425 on really good rips.
I found the tournament ballista to have more HSS than the vip Destiny and a lot more HSS than the star Shryke I threw. For me that makes the ballista longer as its more likely to get a full flight on an actual golf line, even though it didn't have as much glide as the Destiny. Also, I've been able to get 500' rollers with the straight finishing Ballista so I'll vote Ballista hands down longer.

With regard to which one to bag( Trespass, sword, sheriff), since they all go about the same distance for you then I'd choose the one with the smaller rim, Trespass. The trespass is 2.1cm vs Sword 2.2cm , and Sheriff 2.4cm. Smaller rims mean more consistency almost every time. Also, if they're broken in then their flight shouldn't change and it sounds like you may have trespass backups already so why $pend for more discs that do the same thing. Finally, the trespass fade is a plus. It's less likely to get pushed around in the wind and makes for more workable lines. Want a trespass that doesn't fade, get a biofusion. They're my favorite anyway, bios may beat in faster but they have the best grip.

I tried the Catalyst for max d. I guess I didn't click with the large dome and the big turn. I needed to throw it too high in order for it to fade at all and that extra height killed the D for me.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:14 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 54 Times in 34 Posts

The only problem I have with the trespass is inconsistency. I had a fuzion trespass in a hard version of Fusion plastic from about 18 months ago. It was really stable for a while. Now I throw it on a hyzer flip to flat line and it bombs. I bought another one a little while back and it was softer Fusion plastic. As a result was much more flippy from the get go. I would love a more stable one to break in again. I had a bio one and lost it, maybe will try and get another
Old 05-24-2017, 12:23 PM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 169
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,523 Times in 1,166 Posts

Never thrown a Sheriff but I have thrown Trespasses, Swords and Destinies. The Trespass is a bit shorter for me due to the late flight fade being a little dumpy whereas the other two can be hyzer flipped to fade forward. I've got two Fuzion Trespasses and they can't be anymore different. One's tie dye that I've beat in and it's a huge S-curve disc now, has to be thrown with a bit of hyzer to keep from turning and burning but still hooks up given enough air or hyzer. The other is practically a Giant, really HSS and LSS.

The Destiny is finicky so I like it in max weight (it's almost King touchy) but it absolutely bombs if you can control that turn, huge glide even for Trilogy standards. I think the Sword is a bit more manageable thanks to a little more inherent HSS plus it's a 2.2 rim but it really feels more like a speed 11 like a Wraith or Surge in my small hands. I prefer the Sword for more controlled distance as long as there isn't much headwind.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,605 Times in 1,650 Posts

I'd keep a Trespass or two so that you can shape shots with the fade (versatile for long hyzers, and also should pan out of annies nicely), and one of the others for long distance straight shots.

What it'd come down to for me is which feels better in my BH and FH grips, which one I prefer for FH in addition to BH, and how they handle headwinds and tailwinds. If the higher speed discs don't do much better in a headwind but you notice they get knocked down in a tailwind, then that's a factor. But if the Sheriff cuts through headwind better than the Trespass...then that's the bonus there.

I can make so many of my discs fly similar lines on a field, but when I'm trying to throw a shot off the tee around a tree or two and there's a mild headwind, usually my disc selection is very obvious.