Old 08-02-2019, 12:09 AM

Courses Played: 15
Niced 36 Times in 11 Posts
Default Let's Increase PDGA Membership Fees...

Pro Membership:
  • 9,522 currently active. Total members with 1 year term, est @ 75% = 7,140

Outcome: Let the Pros take the biggest hit. Increase the membership fee to $100.

Assuming all 1 year term members renew and no additional new memberships are added, this is a $178,500 increase in fee revenue.

Am Membership:
  • 37,091 currently active. Total members with 1 year term, est @ 75% = 27,818.

Outcome: I'm giving Ams and Juniors the same increase. If you're an Am paying $50, I'd sure hope you'd be an Am paying $60. And I don't see Mom or Dad pinching pennies over a $10 increase for a Junior membership. The kid is obviously dedicated to playing if they are a member, or share the hobby with a parent who's a member as well.

Same assumptions, no churn rate and no new memberships, and this becomes a $278,180 increase in fee revenue.

Now, the true question is, what does the PDGA do with an extra ~$500k?
Sponsored Links

Last edited by gemini55; 08-02-2019 at 12:14 AM.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:33 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 317 Times in 169 Posts

Well, no new memberships would probably be a good assumption. This all sounds a little elitist to me, but what do I know?

Niced: (1)
Old 08-02-2019, 01:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 248
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,308 Times in 903 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
Well, no new memberships would probably be a good assumption. This all sounds a little elitist to me, but what do I know?
Well, there would likely be a decrease in renewal, as some take a stand on the ten buck increase. I would think that we could look to the mission statement of the PDGA to see where they should be spending that extra income.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,155 Times in 669 Posts

"Let's Increase PDGA Membership Fees..." nah...let's don't.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 127
Niced 3,891 Times in 1,643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini55 View Post
[SIZE="2"][B][U]Now, the true question is, what does the PDGA do with an extra ~$500k?
I think the true question is, WHY?

It's backwards to collect more money, and look around for ways to spend it. The process should be (1) identify a spending need, (2) decide whether increasing fees is the right way to fund it, as opposed to cuts elsewhere, etc., and (3) decide if the need is compelling enough to warrant the increase.

An any rate, the assumptions are unrealistic, so that $500K won't happen. The reality is that if you increase fees, you decrease memberships (compared to not increasing fees), just like with almost anything else people spend money for.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:46 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 50.3
Courses Played: 52
Niced 647 Times in 276 Posts

I'm told by people who know about these things that less than 3% of discers have a PDGA #. I was a bit shocked by that but the source is reliable. The PDGA only cares about the top 50 pro men and maybe the top 10 pro women, everyone else is a pot feeder. I think I'll forego renewal next year and just pay the extra $10.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:57 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 26.9
Courses Played: 4
Niced 392 Times in 172 Posts

In 2017 the PDGA made 3.4 million and spent 3.1. Looking at the expenses line items they could definitely use the additional 500k to step up advertising/marketing - maybe buy some TV time and see how it goes? Use some to keep Jomez on the road full time and key partner of the PDGA? They spent around 151k on advertising. They could also use it towards the tour, maybe bring consistent baskets to each event and do course prep work to meet professional standards? As that total spend came in at around 310k (In comparison they pay 620k in salaries). Otherwise I’m sure they have some debts or liabilities worth paying off....
Old 08-02-2019, 08:33 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 26.9
Courses Played: 4
Niced 392 Times in 172 Posts

Or use it to build lodging, camp grounds and training facility (weights, indoor putting, ice baths etc.) at the international disc golf center. The PDGA could extend training/free place to stay offers to international pros, tour pros and up and up and comers on the NT/AM scene. They could then hold camps/clinics to give these pros additional income while at the center. Kinda like what USA track and field does but on a smaller scale. Additionally if a top pro gets hurt, it could be a nice place to recover and train. I would assume more people who can reach the top ratings of our sport, the better product the PDGA can market to sponsors. Additionally they could rent the lodging and camp grounds to the rest of us during the NT season when pros or high level AMs are on tour - discounted or free rate for PDGA members.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:51 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 107 Times in 66 Posts

Shouldn't there be a reason for collecting money beforehand? Increasing the fees and then deciding what to do with the extra money sounds backwards.

Old 08-02-2019, 09:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 248
Niced 2,308 Times in 903 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinosaurThunder View Post
In 2017 the PDGA made 3.4 million and spent 3.1. Looking at the expenses line items they could definitely use the additional 500k to step up advertising/marketing - maybe buy some TV time and see how it goes? Use some to keep Jomez on the road full time and key partner of the PDGA? They spent around 151k on advertising. They could also use it towards the tour, maybe bring consistent baskets to each event and do course prep work to meet professional standards? As that total spend came in at around 310k (In comparison they pay 620k in salaries). Otherwise Im sure they have some debts or liabilities worth paying off....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinosaurThunder View Post
Or use it to build lodging, camp grounds and training facility (weights, indoor putting, ice baths etc.) at the international disc golf center. The PDGA could extend training/free place to stay offers to international pros, tour pros and up and up and comers on the NT/AM scene. They could then hold camps/clinics to give these pros additional income while at the center. Kinda like what USA track and field does but on a smaller scale. Additionally if a top pro gets hurt, it could be a nice place to recover and train. I would assume more people who can reach the top ratings of our sport, the better product the PDGA can market to sponsors. Additionally they could rent the lodging and camp grounds to the rest of us during the NT season when pros or high level AMs are on tour - discounted or free rate for PDGA members.
While I appreciate your thought into this, I cannot disagree more. I have absolutely zero interest, as a PDGA member, in funding a penny for any of this.