Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 01-17-2020, 11:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 28
Niced 49 Times in 30 Posts
Default I Want to go from US hyzerflip to Flex distance

For my max distance drivers RHBH I've been throwing understable discs (Vulcan, Bolt, etc.) on a hyzerflip line but I'm tired of the touchiness. Too many times the disc will turn over and not fade back due to a slight gust of headwind, a bit of OAT, or not enough hyzer angle.

I'm looking to move to flex shots with a flat release for a more reliable fade at the end of the drive. What are some discs that would be good for this?

For reference I throw max d about 350 or a bit further on a pure distance line, and something like a Destroyer I have to release with a bit of anhyzer to get it to flex, which is not what I'm looking for.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2020, 11:40 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.3
Courses Played: 87
Niced 13 Times in 9 Posts
Send a message via AIM to _.-Dut-._

Quote:
Originally Posted by skurf View Post
For my max distance drivers RHBH I've been throwing understable discs (Vulcan, Bolt, etc.) on a hyzerflip line but I'm tired of the touchiness. Too many times the disc will turn over and not fade back due to a slight gust of headwind, a bit of OAT, or not enough hyzer angle.

I'm looking to move to flex shots with a flat release for a more reliable fade at the end of the drive. What are some discs that would be good for this?

For reference I throw max d about 350 or a bit further on a pure distance line, and something like a Destroyer I have to release with a bit of anhyzer to get it to flex, which is not what I'm looking for.
Opto air culverin 158g

Gstar daedulus

Star shryke light weight or even Max weight if you just give it a touch of anny

New champ roadrunner/sidewinder
Old 01-17-2020, 11:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,805 Times in 1,009 Posts

My max D is the same as you and after i have tested around 100 drivers, the two i like the most for that kind of flight is:

156g Blizzard Wraith and 156 Star Shryke. . if i want more stability i just go up in weight
Old 01-17-2020, 02:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,409 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skurf View Post

You are trading wind problems for release problems. Even Nikko, arguable the best Flex line player there is, still has shots where he does not get the release angle correct and he dumps the disc OB.

Unless you are:
1. Doing a full reach back AND
2. Are low back dominate
You are creating more problems than you are solving.

Learn to throw a neutral flying disc on a distance line before moving over to a flex distance line.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-17-2020, 03:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 30
Niced 515 Times in 319 Posts

I throw about the same distance as the OP and I agree with Wolfmandagon. There's no problem putting an overstable complement in the bag for headwinds, but most of the time hyzerflips are still probably going to be your best bet on max distance shots.

I dabbled in forced flexes for max distance for a while and my driving accuracy actually got worse. I'd have the occasional crush and convince myself that I could learn to execute the shot consistently...but that consistency never occurred. I'm back to hyzerflipping stuff like Trespasses and Waves (both a little slower but also a touch more stable that the discs you're throwing) and finding myself in a good position off the tee way more often. I do carry Wraiths and occasionally a PDx for headwinds and controlled hyzers, but I'm typically better off throwing flippy stuff.

Now, the answer to the question you actually asked: Star Shryke (as domey as you can find) as a stable complement to the Vulcan/Bolt. Bump up to a Lucid Raider if you want some added overstability, but not quite Destroyer level stability. Yo also can try dropping down to a slightly smaller rim for some extra control...Wraiths and Photons are a good place to start, or a Trespass if those discs don't flex enough for you.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 802 Times in 624 Posts

You can stick with the hyzerflips, just pick a disc with slightly more beef. A heavy star Shryke would probably work, as would a lucid Sheriff or star Katana. You'll get the high speed turn, but the disc won't turn all the way over.

If you want to throw flex lines you'll need a disc that has initial high speed turn, but also has decent late fade. At 350' distance you could get by with a Wraith, Destroyer, or maybe a Raider. A Ballista could also work.

If you really want to unleash some power, learn to release the disc anny. Done properly this produces massive S curve flex power. There are tutorial vids out there that will show you how to throw anny, if you have any interest.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 802 Times in 624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
I throw about the same distance as the OP and I agree with Wolfmandagon. There's no problem putting an overstable complement in the bag for headwinds, but most of the time hyzerflips are still probably going to be your best bet on max distance shots.

I dabbled in forced flexes for max distance for a while and my driving accuracy actually got worse. I'd have the occasional crush and convince myself that I could learn to execute the shot consistently...but that consistency never occurred. I'm back to hyzerflipping stuff like Trespasses and Waves (both a little slower but also a touch more stable that the discs you're throwing) and finding myself in a good position off the tee way more often. I do carry Wraiths and occasionally a PDx for headwinds and controlled hyzers, but I'm typically better off throwing flippy stuff.

Now, the answer to the question you actually asked: Star Shryke (as domey as you can find) as a stable complement to the Vulcan/Bolt. Bump up to a Lucid Raider if you want some added overstability, but not quite Destroyer level stability. Yo also can try dropping down to a slightly smaller rim for some extra control...Wraiths and Photons are a good place to start, or a Trespass if those discs don't flex enough for you.
I agree with this. Throwing the disc high and anny for distance produces my best power. I get these crazy sweeping S curves that stay in the air forever. That said, the consistency is awful. There are a lot of variables to a good anny shot. Sometimes the disc won't fade back, or you'll put too much anny on it initially and spike it into the ground right. If you throw an anny shot poorly you generally get a high, lazy stall that goes nowhere.

When I'm feeling it I'll start throwing anny bombs out past 450'. If I'm not feeling it everything will be stalled and not have enough anny on it.

Hyzerflipping is way easier, but I don't quite get max distance out of it. The key there is using a disc with some high speed turn, but also decent late fade.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:18 PM
I'm With Her

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,366 Times in 1,725 Posts

The Tern (in Star or Champion, and heavier weights) might be a happy medium between the understable discs like the Vulcan and more OS discs like the Destroyer. The Infinite Discs line Pharaoh might also fit well here, as well as the Sheriff.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:30 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 48 Times in 42 Posts

Star Wraith in the 160s. GStar and Pro have better glide for max distance, you just have to go heavier. They will show some turn but always fade back if you give them the height. Pro will get flippy eventually.

Niced: (1)

Old 01-17-2020, 07:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,298 Times in 609 Posts

Another vote for Star Wraiths.

Niced: (1)