Old 08-02-2021, 12:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,348 Times in 606 Posts

I had absolutely no idea what people were talking about with "pour coffee" until I watched that video.

I've been low key watching co-workers and people at hotels for the last 3 years. And virtually everyone pours coffee at a steep nose up anny angle.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 08-04-2021, 11:34 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 29 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
This video contains a little bit about throwing ‘pour coffee’ (Ezra) versus throwing ‘supinate’ (Ricky). Neither are wrong.
I've tried to pour coffee for a long time, but with mixed results. I tend to struggle with anything that requires "isolated tension" (keeping some parts loose and others tight). I think ideally you would clamp down or push with the thumb right before the hit, but...that's challenging (for now).

I recently switched to supination. I let the disc flop in the backswing and then my wrist naturally moves from pronation (flop) to neutral/slightly supinated as I near the hit. I resisted going down this path as it looks like more moving parts. In reality it was simpler, as it requires no focus on anything other than remaining loose. Overall it's been better.

I think the grip factors in as well. I find the power grip generates some unwanted tension (and if you back off on grip strength, you get inconsistent planes). I've been using the modified fan grip for everything (except putting) and found it's much easier to keep loose and maintain more consistent planes.

Niced: (1)

Old 08-04-2021, 07:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 965 Times in 554 Posts

I haven’t been able to find a rhythm with the supinate - things go nose-up (more than normal). I find more consistency with Ezra’s ‘opposite of relaxed’ position (pictured). Of course I’m still working through form and feeling things out. I think holding the disc this way tends to keep my elbow forward and leave more room in the pocket for the disc to come through. In other words, it compensates for sub-optimal form. For me, of course, not for Ezra. I use a lot of fan grip and power grip.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4DF1FFE9-5CFC-4218-B587-3B9D78AAE116.jpg (63.7 KB, 63 views)