Old 09-26-2021, 10:41 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 941 Times in 522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas30066 View Post
what’s with Fission discs at 174 and 175? The whole point, I thought, was to reduce mass in the flight plate.
I might be wrong, but I think the heavier fissions do carry a higher percentage of their weight in the rim compared to say a normal plastic. I haven’t thrown one but I think a max weight fission disc would work better than the same disc with more of its weight in the flight plate.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-26-2021, 12:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,916 Times in 1,244 Posts

Yes Ray is correct about heavy fission. Want the same flight going from a neutron to a fission.. Buy fission about 4g lighter. With the caveat that there's separate cores 155-167 and 169-174, meaning a 169g might get less gyro/fade than a 166.

Hey so kind of gyro question.. I had a bunch of backhand hyzer turns yesterday, many of which were downhill. I have much better success with the Spin than the Envy. Obviously the spin was a hyzer release and the envy a nearly flat hyzer. It did this hyzer "skate" sideways, like LHBH it skated wide to the left of my line a few degrees off or 8' off the line. So I used the Spin more and it cut those downhill lines perfectly. I was going for parks over aces.

It's something I've experienced before with drives and what not too, but I corrected for that throwing a more stable disc flat. Anyone else using an understablish disc for a downhill hyzer?
Old 09-26-2021, 12:22 PM
Par Member

Niced 108 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
Yes Ray is correct about heavy fission. Want the same flight going from a neutron to a fission.. Buy fission about 4g lighter. With the caveat that there's separate cores 155-167 and 169-174, meaning a 169g might get less gyro/fade than a 166.

Hey so kind of gyro question.. I had a bunch of backhand hyzer turns yesterday, many of which were downhill. I have much better success with the Spin than the Envy. Obviously the spin was a hyzer release and the envy a nearly flat hyzer. It did this hyzer "skate" sideways, like LHBH it skated wide to the left of my line a few degrees off or 8' off the line. So I used the Spin more and it cut those downhill lines perfectly. I was going for parks over aces.

It's something I've experienced before with drives and what not too, but I corrected for that throwing a more stable disc flat. Anyone else using an understablish disc for a downhill hyzer?
This might explain why my 165 Tesla is beefier than my 169s

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM

Niced 21 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
I might be wrong, but I think the heavier fissions do carry a higher percentage of their weight in the rim compared to say a normal plastic. I haven’t thrown one but I think a max weight fission disc would work better than the same disc with more of its weight in the flight plate.
Still working through this. I’m operating on the (perhaps false) premise that the (neutron, I think?) wings are all of roughly the same density, regardless of flight plate plastic. There are likely some drag differences between plastic surfaces, but it feels like the point of the Fission plastic would be to accentuate the delta between the variable plate and the (roughly) constant wing mass.

If I’m correct and the wings are consistent in their construction, then I’m curious as to the mechanical difference between a 174 Fission and a 174 Neutron Wave, since the wing/plate ratio should be nearly identical.
Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 941 Times in 522 Posts

I definitely see your thought process and I am definitely not in the disc molding business so who knows.

I do know if the fission plastic is supposed to be lighter but you can still get them in max weight then they must be making up the weight difference in the rim somehow. Maybe.

I have heard rumors that metal salts can be added to plastic to increase the weight but I don’t have a reliable source to confirm or deny if this plays out in disc manufacturing or not.

Maybe there’s some YouTube videos or something.

Niced: (1)

Old Today, 05:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 6,871 Times in 3,488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas30066 View Post
Hokom Crave. Perfect anhyzer. Release may have been a little high and tight.

Separately, while we’re waiting on MVP to recognize the market for things other than Envies and Nomads, what’s with Fission discs at 174 and 175? The whole point, I thought, was to reduce mass in the flight plate. Between that and scarcity-adjusted pricing, I’m sitting tight for now.
People liked the way they break in faster than the other premiums without getting stupid flippy like the Electron.