Eagle Member

Years Playing: 29.2
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 74 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Stratus
This. The more understable, the slower, the better for absolute beginners. Leopards are even too much for somebody who has never thrown a Golf Disc in their life. It will dive left for almost all of them too. You want something that can go relatively out there and relatively in the direction they want with minimal speed and spin.

My first Disc was a Stingray in 1989. PDGA #315 who sold it to me was wise.

Once they can throw a Stratus or Stingray or something to that effect out there with minimal wobble, then it makes sense to start mixing in something more.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2018, 05:55 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 7
Niced 190 Times in 131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite View Post
... so I pulled a pink 173 gm Neutron Atom from the box to play a one disc round today...
I just added a light pink Atom to my bag yesterday for touch approach shots. It shaved a few throws for me the first time out. I think I found a new friend.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:59 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 134
Niced 964 Times in 659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBokor View Post
I just added a light pink Atom to my bag yesterday for touch approach shots. It shaved a few throws for me the first time out. I think I found a new friend.
If i wasnt such an ion whore the atom would be in my bag 4 sure. Good mix of the envy/proxy.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:09 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 128 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
This. The more understable, the slower, the better for absolute beginners. Leopards are even too much for somebody who has never thrown a Golf Disc in their life.

Not that you weren’t giving good advice overall, but I have to disagree a little bit here. Sure a 180 is going to be a lot to chuck but I got my kids (they’re 11 & 13) Leopards in super light weights- 109 & 110 I believe- and told them to just throw it smooth, not hard. When they throw it with the right form it coasts forever. The light weight allows them to not have to muscle the disc at all, but still experience the glide when they throw it right. They LOVE them.

Just wanted to add that to your consideration, as light weight discs have really helped me show some low arm strength beginners how to throw flat and flex a disc without generating wild arm speed. They will outgrow them quickly but it’s a great tool to teach the basics with as long as it isn’t windy.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-25-2018, 09:47 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 6
Niced 162 Times in 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
If i wasnt such an ion whore the atom would be in my bag 4 sure. Good mix of the envy/proxy.
Ion whore??? Thats a new way to put it! Glad to know im not alone in my "whoring" tho LMFAO

Old 04-25-2018, 09:34 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 29.2
Courses Played: 133
Niced 74 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
Leopards in super light weights- 109 & 110 I believe.
They have 110g Leopards?? Dang, I might have to find one of those for my kids!
Old 04-26-2018, 07:58 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 128 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
They have 110g Leopards?? Dang, I might have to find one of those for my kids!

It’s seriously the perfect kid disc if you can find them.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:06 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 447 Times in 221 Posts

We had our newbie disc golf outing this past weekend.

Sixteen of us showed up. The group was composed of two leaders (myself and another person that I play rounds with often), two other experienced players, nine twenties-ish newbies, and three toddlers in tow with their parents.

It was fun, nerve wracking, exhausting, and informative. I came away from this thinking that we did alright for a first shot at this, but I do not think that I would want to be a tournament director any time soon.

A few of the attendees had discs already, but the bulk of the group was supplied with bright shiny Neutron Atoms and Proxies. Thank you again to Aim for the Chains for assisting us with acquiring the MVP/Axiom discs. Everyone was very impressed with the good materials that we had at our disposal.

The newbies had the chance to try out their discs in a small field before beginning the round, and one can imagine the varied results from that. There were lots of short hyzers that went a good deal off track from the intended destinations.

I learned that running a activity like this involves a whole lot of people skill, and then a bit of technical skills after that. The participant's responses to their throws varied greatly from happy surprise at any bit of success, to intense diligent concentration, to wild agonizing frustration at unwanted results.

One participant, after grip locking her disc and releasing it approximately 90 degrees further right than she intended, fled in shame and dismay behind her friends, rather than simply retrieve it from its resting place square in the middle of an adjacent road.

Since our group was so large, we broke up into two groups of 8, with a leader in each group. Groups of eight is really far too large for this type of activity, but that was the best we could manage. As you can imagine, it was slow going, and there were not many pars to be had during the round. Fortunately, the course was not super busy. We were super conscious of other players, and immediately allowed them to play through when they caught up to us. Hopefully no one was negatively impacted by our presence.

The participants all improved measurably as the round progressed, although Paul McBeth need not be concerned about any of these up and comers just yet. By about the midround, each person had gained confidence, and seemed to settle in and become comfortable. I think they could enjoy engaging in this activity more in the future.

In truth, I would gladly be involved in holding more activities like this in the future. It is hard to know just who from this group might get the disc golf bug and jump in like so many of us have. But, I am seeing that this sport can have appeal to a broad spectrum of people. It is just a matter of giving them some exposure and letting them go.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:55 PM
Par Member

Niced 84 Times in 56 Posts

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience!