Old 12-20-2017, 10:56 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 32 Times in 16 Posts
Default Kaxe vs Cro vs ???

My traditional setup is driving putter -> traditional mid -> teebird. I have become attached to Colts as a driving putter, which is a step up from a traditional driving putter in distance. As such I want to bump up my mid a slot to avoid overlap and create a smooth transition to my teebirds.

What discs would you suggest? Kaxe seemed like a good fit. Cro may not be enough of a step up, how does the reduced diameter help distance compared to Rocs? Any and all suggestions welcome, but I would prefer a small diameter. I would like to have a disc to hit around 340'.

My stats:

Colts - 300'
Rocs - 320'
Teebirds - 380'
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2017, 11:51 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 192 Times in 129 Posts

Rocs can hit every bit of that. For a similar feel but more glide maybe try a warship, but they don’t handle wind as well to me.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:59 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 408 Times in 310 Posts

Yeah the Cro is not really longer than the Roc, it’s like a slightly faster Envy, it’s a good disc but long it is not.

You can totally hit 340 with a Roc eventually, but yes a Kaxe will do it.

Personally I run Bards/Stags and there isn’t much of need for another disc there for me but some people have that Kaxe/Truth type disc and like it a lot.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:02 PM
Bogey Member

So let's not worry about throwing further, if I improve form and put my Rocs out to 340' my Colts will also increase in range and the overlap still exists.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:36 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 138 Times in 104 Posts

Sounds like the suspect or the pine are both a little smaller diameter and might go farther. Haven't thrown either, but they pop up in an advanced search on infinite discs.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21
Courses Played: 29
Niced 176 Times in 109 Posts

the kaxe or kaxe z would be a good fit, it is a tweener mold like the stalker that will give you the extra midrange distance but not quite driver distance i suppose. personally, i throw a RDG gila, its a large diameter midrange but it has great glide and reliable stability,i can get them out a little longer than my wasps and feel comfortable throwing them when i get to those tweener holes where a fairway driver is a little too much.

i think if you are wanting to get that extra distance with a mid, its going to come down to form or a larger diameter/faster mid. the buzzz is actually a great disc for this and still has the midrange feel as opposed to the slightly driver feel of the kaxe.

smaller diameter is nice but they lack the glide that the larger slightly slower counterparts have.

give these a try

kaxe
kaxe z(less stable than the kaxe if i remember correctly)
stalker
gila

Niced: (1)
Old 12-20-2017, 01:02 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 318 Times in 167 Posts

I throw K1 Kaxe and Kaxe Z right now, and have thrown Star Cros quite a lot in recent years.

Cros are not longer than Rocs, and neither are Kaxe in my view. Both are a tiny bit faster than a Roc, but have a bit less glide, which shouldn't be surprising since they have smaller diameters and less dome than a Roc. I generally get about equivalent distance with Kaxe and Roc; maybe a tiny bit less with a Cro.

Kaxe are listed as speed 6 by most people, but in my opinion they are speed 5. It is, in my view, a true midrange, not a crossover between midrange and fairway as some say.

Both Cro and Kaxe share the characteristic of being straightforward point and shoot discs that don't give you much variance in their flights. I am throwing Elite X Comets right now, and everyone knows that results can vary greatly when throwing Comets, because wind conditions affect its flight. For this reason, I always also carry a mold in my bag that I know will simply give me reliable flights (the Kaxe); nothing earth shattering, but a known quantity. When I am not jelling with my Comets on a given round, I fall back on the ol' reliable Kaxe and Kaxe Z.

I found the Kaxe to be just that bit more stable/reliable than Cros (and Rocs) when thrown at my midrange throwing speed, so I am with them right now. I've got the "wowwee look at that!" mold in the Comet (sexy supermodel, but sometimes impractical). The Kaxe, on the other hand, is the perfectly respectable mold that your parents would love to see you end up with, even if it is not anywhere near as sexy.

Listen to your parents and go with a Kaxe.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:06 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booter View Post
give these a try

kaxe
kaxe z(less stable than the kaxe if i remember correctly)
stalker
gila
Completely overlooked the Stalker, good call

No experience with the Gila, can you cycle them?
Old 12-20-2017, 01:11 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 408 Times in 310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
Completely overlooked the Stalker, good call

No experience with the Gila, can you cycle them?
You totally can, especially in the Fossil plastic.

Maybe check out the squall too, I’ve not thrown one much but I’ve seen several people use them here.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21
Courses Played: 29
Niced 176 Times in 109 Posts

yes,as moose has stated,you can cycle the gilas in the fossil plastic,might take a while in the amber though. might lighter weight proto is getting more use now that its straighter and gaining more glide.

squall is a good option too,not too familiar with the plastics other than the proline(esp) but i think its kind of understable.