Old 02-05-2021, 02:50 AM

Years Playing: 1.4
Niced 21 Times in 14 Posts

Just noticing things while watching disc golf. Saw this slow-motion capture of McMahon and the second move in the DEAD drill was really obvious. Look how disconnected his hips are from the upper body, it almost looks unnatural. This man is known to throw far, so this may be worth looking into ... After being observant of the "second move" I see it everywhere.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skjermbilde 2021-02-05 kl. 07.27.44.jpg (43.4 KB, 19 views)
Sponsored Links

Old 02-05-2021, 05:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 234
Niced 4,662 Times in 2,822 Posts

Niced: (1)
Old 02-11-2021, 06:02 PM

Years Playing: 1.4
Niced 21 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Don't think I have fully understood the door frame drill until now. It IS the "second move". I can really feel the connection between the rear foot and the hip movement by holding a door frame, as well as a significant weight shift by using gravity – storing potential energy for later in the swing.

In a real disc golf throw, should I have the feeling of being held back by an invisible door frame, keeping the disc in place for a moment while only moving my hips? To get in the position Eagle is in, as shown above, I feel I have to "actively" hold the disc back with my upper body while I move the hips. Is this the correct feeling?

Haven't had the opportunity to do field practice for a while because of the snow and cold in my area, but I can't wait to try this out more. This has to be the secret to the effortless distance that the people who "get it" talks about, aka. loading the oblique sling/rubber band?

Niced: (3)
Old 02-11-2021, 07:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 234
Niced 4,662 Times in 2,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arezaki View Post
Don't think I have fully understood the door frame drill until now. It IS the "second move". I can really feel the connection between the rear foot and the hip movement by holding a door frame, as well as a significant weight shift by using gravity – storing potential energy for later in the swing.

In a real disc golf throw, should I have the feeling of being held back by an invisible door frame, keeping the disc in place for a moment while only moving my hips? To get in the position Eagle is in, as shown above, I feel I have to "actively" hold the disc back with my upper body while I move the hips. Is this the correct feeling?

Haven't had the opportunity to do field practice for a while because of the snow and cold in my area, but I can't wait to try this out more. This has to be the secret to the effortless distance that the people who "get it" talks about, aka. loading the oblique sling/rubber band?
Yep.

Old 02-21-2021, 08:14 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 47
Niced 145 Times in 101 Posts

Between the OP video and HUB's Disc Golf 101 series, things sort clicked for me. That's not to say I didn't watch or listen to any other videos. I've watched and read Sidewinder and HUB explain things before but this time around it kind of "clicked".

I think the biggest takeaway was the idea of sitting down into the brace from the back leg to the front leg with the butt leading the way. Think of it as a weight sit along with a shift. That and letting the shoulder and hand stay back until that happens.

The weight shift and lag in the shoulders and the hands reminded me of hitting in baseball. You shift weight lateral before "releasing" the hands.

Old 02-23-2021, 11:27 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 627 Times in 345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arezaki View Post

I’ve been discovering quite a few parallels with the SW22 drills lately.

First move - turn back the shoulders- this is doorframe drill 1. This is also the inside swing drill. This is also the first move on the butt wipes drill.

The butt wipes drill is all 3 of these moves. It is a great way to see if you are doing the squat to square and post transition correctly.

Niced: (2)

Old 02-24-2021, 03:08 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 47
Niced 145 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azplaya25 View Post
I’ve been discovering quite a few parallels with the SW22 drills lately.

First move - turn back the shoulders- this is doorframe drill 1. This is also the inside swing drill. This is also the first move on the butt wipes drill.

The butt wipes drill is all 3 of these moves. It is a great way to see if you are doing the squat to square and post transition correctly.
It's funny going back and watching SW22 videos and others and seeing how things make more sense upon gaining further understanding. That's what happened to me when I watch the OP video. It solidified (even more) what SW22, HUB, etc. have been saying.

In some ways it makes me feel stupid because I've seen and heard it before while trying to implement it, yet it took another video saying the same thing in a little bit different way for me to go "I get it."

Kudos to all the patient DG teachers out there. Thank you.