Old 11-27-2017, 01:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 130
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 975 Times in 483 Posts

Darkgreen nailed it on the OLF description. I carry them in stages of wear and use them like I use my destroyers. except I mostly only throw Destroyers in the open, and I will throw an OLF on just about anything a Roc won't reach if I'm in the woods. They're so versatile, I hardly ever use any other fairway driver, and I could easily use them as my only driver, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevis View Post
xcals feel like destroyers, but have no turn and more fade (more stable)
I cant completely agree with this. I prefer medium-domey Destroyers, for the added glide and LSF. I prefer flatter Xcals, for penetration based purely on speed. XCals are a faster than Destroyers by a noticeable touch. And they feel like it in your hand. And they do have some turn once seasoned a bit.
But they retain late fade REALLY well. So where my most OS Destroyers will start to fade very early in their flight (and are pretty glideless until they season a bit), a seasoned Xcal will show some initial flip and glide and get a good long way before they fade out. The combination of pure speed, ability to hold some early turn of flip up to dead lock straight into a headwind, and the super reliable hard fade, makes them long trustworthy drivers in any conditions. It isn't a direct comparison like Xcals are to Destroyers what Firebirds are to OLFs.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 12-04-2017, 12:57 PM
* Ace Member *

27 at Milo:

5 Destroyers (Star and Pro)
1 Star Firebird
3 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs
1 Champ Roadrunner
4 Rocs (KC and DX)
2 Hard Harps
4 stiff flat Wizards (well, one is a beat Scale)

Old 12-14-2017, 11:31 PM
* Ace Member *

36 at Milo:

1 Star Firebird
3 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs
1 Champ Roadrunner
5 Rocs (1 Champ/4 KC)
2 Scales
3 stiff flat Wizards
Old 12-15-2017, 03:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODRB View Post
36 at Milo:

1 Star Firebird
3 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs
1 Champ Roadrunner
5 Rocs (1 Champ/4 KC)
2 Scales
3 stiff flat Wizards
^BOOOOOoooooo-ring.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:41 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 97 Times in 59 Posts

Why did you drop the harps?
Old 12-15-2017, 11:55 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 41
Niced 325 Times in 176 Posts

He is trying to work Tanks back into the bag.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-15-2017, 01:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by riltim View Post
Why did you drop the harps?
This is my version of tinkering, since I don't try new molds really ever anymore.

I firmly believe I play better golf with fewer molds. Sometimes I test that by playing without one or two. (I know for certain I could score within a stroke or two with only Firebirds, OLFs, Rocs and Wizards.) Usually, I realize that I either: (a) have enough fun with a mold to justify keeping it around; and/or, (b) I save a stroke or two by using certain molds. Destroyers and Harps fit both a and b, but I don't really need them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocheez View Post
He is trying to work Tanks back into the bag.
Funny, I was pawing one in my basement last night. Such a great mold. And if I was throwing beadles putters, a Tank would be my Scale. But Wizards are to Scales as Aviar P&As are to Tanks.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:01 PM
Eagle Member

Understood.

Even though I have only had them in the bag for a month or two, I really can't imagine playing without a BT Hard Harp in my bag. I never had a FH game but the harps have made me as confident 200' and in FH as I am BH with my wizards. It doesn't get me many birdies but it has saved me multiple pars a round when I shank a shot in the woods. Stepping up to an upshot and having the confidence to throw a FH where it's a better play than forcing a BH is huge for me.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by riltim View Post
Understood.

Even though I have only had them in the bag for a month or two, I really can't imagine playing without a BT Hard Harp in my bag. I never had a FH game but the harps have made me as confident 200' and in FH as I am BH with my wizards. It doesn't get me many birdies but it has saved me multiple pars a round when I shank a shot in the woods. Stepping up to an upshot and having the confidence to throw a FH where it's a better play than forcing a BH is huge for me.
I don't have a decent FH. I can work a FB when need be, or a Destroyer if I need a little more distance, but I use Harps almost exclusively BH where I can't let a Roc or Wizard flip up or glide out at all. And I use my beat one in tight tunnels where I need solid HSS with almost no fade.

Such great discs. Everything I always wanted from my Zones, except for the trickshot skip stuff.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:33 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODRB View Post
I don't have a decent FH. I can work a FB when need be, or a Destroyer if I need a little more distance, but I use Harps almost exclusively BH where I can't let a Roc or Wizard flip up or glide out at all. And I use my beat one in tight tunnels where I need solid HSS with almost no fade.

Such great discs. Everything I always wanted from my Zones, except for the trickshot skip stuff.
I never had a decent forehand either, until I tried the Hard Harp. Zones were always tough for me to dial in with the right amount of snap and power to control the fade. The Harp was like hitting the easy button for me, something just clicked.

Short arm motion, solid wrist snap, and finish wrist up is all you need. Start practicing at about 100' out and work your way back from there.

Don't know your game so I'm not going to assume I know what you need. But if you're looking to work a FH into it the hard Harp is a great starting point.