Old 08-12-2019, 08:56 AM

Niced 5 Times in 2 Posts
Default Missing holes due to an emergency

In which of these cases shall a player be allowed to continue the competition and receive a rating for their round, should they miss one or more consecutive holes due to an emergency

a) at the beginning of the round,

b) in the middle of the round,

c) at the end of the round?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2019, 09:01 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 35
Niced 865 Times in 420 Posts

D. None of the above.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:19 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 90
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 72 Times in 31 Posts

Depending on the circumstances, the player could continue in any of these cases.

See rule 811 Misplay for applicable situations and penalties for the misplay.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:56 AM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 28.2
Courses Played: 144
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,486 Times in 578 Posts

Never.

There are too many "what ifs" involved and the line has to be drawn.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.1
Courses Played: 127
Niced 7,082 Times in 2,630 Posts

Continue the competition and receive a rating for the round are two different things.

Generally, you can continue the competition.

Not sure why you'd want the rating, but you'll get it. If you miss many holes, with the penalties it's likely to be so low it'll be dropped from your player rating, anyway.

Whether it's an emergency doesn't come into play. Missed holes are missed holes. With the possible exception of whether they were missed deliberately, to gain an advantage.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:42 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 147
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 868 Times in 386 Posts

A. Yes. This has been covered and happened before, late arrivals. You get a score of par + 4 for every hole you miss and you can finish the round.

B. Depends. If in a foursome then you might permitted to leave and return, receiving par + 4 for every hole you miss. If you're in a threesome however you won't have a group to come back to. Should you be forced to leave then one person goes to the card in front and the other to the card behind as twosomes are not allowed by rule.

C. No. If you're not there when the others finished then I don't see how you could complete the round. In this case it would be a DQ, either 999 or 888 depending on the circumstances for your departure. You can arrive late but you can't finish early so this would be a disqualification, no rating.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 152
Niced 3,984 Times in 1,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future_Primitive View Post
A. Yes. This has been covered and happened before, late arrivals. You get a score of par + 4 for every hole you miss and you can finish the round.

B. Depends. If in a foursome then you might permitted to leave and return, receiving par + 4 for every hole you miss. If you're in a threesome however you won't have a group to come back to. Should you be forced to leave then one person goes to the card in front and the other to the card behind as twosomes are not allowed by rule.

C. No. If you're not there when the others finished then I don't see how you could complete the round. In this case it would be a DQ, either 999 or 888 depending on the circumstances for your departure. You can arrive late but you can't finish early so this would be a disqualification, no rating.
Point of clarification, but it would not be a DQ. If we're talking about an emergency situation that could not be avoided, the TD has the discretion to give the player par + 4 for each hole missed no matter when they occurred in the round (beginning, middle, or end) and allow the player to continue to compete in the event if they wish. It would not automatically be a 999 or an 888 just because the missed holes occurred at the end of the round.

888 and 999 are code for voluntary withdrawal from the event, not a disqualification (which is, definitionally an involuntary withdrawal). They are different only in that they signify the nature of the withdrawal.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.2
Courses Played: 122
Niced 3,976 Times in 1,540 Posts

Even though any of the three ought to be subject to disqualification the PDGA allows all of them under varying circumstances.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:32 PM

Niced 5 Times in 2 Posts

If, for instance, after completing the penultimate hole of the final round while leading the field by five strokes, I happened to get injured so that I couldn't be able to play the last hole, would I still be eligible to win the competition, if my closest rivals failed to birdie the last hole?

Old 08-12-2019, 06:56 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 90
Niced 72 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnttiM View Post
If, for instance, after completing the penultimate hole of the final round while leading the field by five strokes, I happened to get injured so that I couldn't be able to play the last hole, would I still be eligible to win the competition, if my closest rivals failed to birdie the last hole?
You can't win the competition of you are unable to complete the event. See the following from the PDGA ratings FAQ:

Quote:
If you do not complete a round due to sickness, injury or other emergency, you will receive a score of 999 indicating you Did Not Finish (DNF) that round. You will not get a rating for that round but will receive ratings for any other rounds you completed before and sometimes after that round (if TD allows). You or someone in your group must inform the TD that you did not complete the round and why. If you complete the round even though sick or injured, you will receive a rating for the round. So keep that in mind when deciding whether to complete the round.

Niced: (1)