Old 03-14-2018, 11:32 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 306 Times in 195 Posts
Default Intermediate Player Bag Critique

Hey all, just wanted some speculation / feedback on my current bag setup. I've been playing for a year now, and have about 300-325ft of consistent RHBH driving power, along with 250-300ft forehand driving power.

Bag = DD Sniper

Contents: -Aviar XT (main putting putter)
-Evo Magic
-Champ Rhyno
-Z-FLX Zone
-ESP Comet
-Big Z Comet
-FLX Drone
-Neutron Resistor
-ESP Archer (super flippy)
-Big Z Mantis
-X Heat (beat in, flippy tomahawk/thumber disc)
-Z Heat
-Z 150g Flick (distance overhand shots / uphills)
-Ti Flick
-X Thrasher (flippy tailwind driver)
-ESP Force (headwind driver)
-Z Nuke OS (big skip shots / power forehands)

Anything that seems missing, or something new i should try out. Feel free to nit-pick away. I know there is probably some overlap in some slots, but i'm unsure which molds to take out of the bag to simplify. Appreciate any constructive criticism!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2018, 04:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,631 Times in 1,656 Posts

I would look into a Champ Thunderbird. At your BH/FH range that should be a sweet spot for stable-OS control driver when it's not too windy and you don't need to throw your Force or Nuke OS. I haven't thrown a Mantis, but it looks like you don't have a true stable-OS driver in your arm speed range right now. You could also go with a Teebird as well if you'd prefer to not have to throw it super hard all the time.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-14-2018, 06:52 PM
Eagle Member

Thanks for the disc reccomendation. That is a hole in my bag that I haven’t quite figured out yet. The mantis is a speed 8 stable-under stable fairway; like a glidier teebird. But the thunderbird would be a good fit because it would be useful BH/FH and preform well even in windier conditions (without having to disc up to something warp speed) Definitely will try to find a champ X-out somewhere and try it out!
Old 03-14-2018, 08:39 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 83
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,534 Times in 976 Posts

It seems like you probably have a lot of overlap. It looks a bit like my bag from years 2-3 that I played.

It was better for me to do a smaller selection of molds at the time with a couple of each rather than try to have one each of 12 molds.

That could be a way to move in the future.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,521 Times in 788 Posts

I like the Thunderbird pairing with the Mantis. Besides one being concave and the other straight, they've the same rim width, same notch on the wing.

At 300-325 though, I think the Mantis should cover all your fairway duties. Get a heavy Z and add a bit of hyzer. My Big Z required a hyzer release but that was trying to push it out to 380.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:11 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
It seems like you probably have a lot of overlap. It looks a bit like my bag from years 2-3 that I played.

It was better for me to do a smaller selection of molds at the time with a couple of each rather than try to have one each of 12 molds.

That could be a way to move in the future.
That is a motto I would like to adapt the more i play. Simplicity seems to go a long way with not having to second guess your disc / shot choice.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:14 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
I like the Thunderbird pairing with the Mantis. Besides one being concave and the other straight, they've the same rim width, same notch on the wing.

At 300-325 though, I think the Mantis should cover all your fairway duties. Get a heavy Z and add a bit of hyzer. My Big Z required a hyzer release but that was trying to push it out to 380.
I love the Mantis. Mine is 170g, It’s got a decent amount of stability, but you can still get some turn out of it. It’s been working so far as my primary stable fairway driver, but on the PNW in the woods, the wind is rarely an issue at my local courses. However I would like something more beefy for those “what if” moments.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:43 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 26
Niced 51 Times in 42 Posts

lat 64s Culverin is what replaced my Thundy, It seemed to have a bit more glide/seemed more controllable- for me

still has a dependable fade and does ok in the wind

The Culverin/Escape or Saint pairing works great for me in that Fairway/Control Driver slot

just thought you needed more Trilogy to go with that DD sniper bag

Old 03-15-2018, 11:24 AM
Eagle Member

I have a buddy who swears by his Culverin / Saint combo. He seems to do well with them. I just honestly haven't had much of a chance to test out much DD, doesn't have much exposure out here. You have a solid point though!

I'm wondering if a Predator would suffice as an OS fairway as well (or do i need nate doss power for that)?

Old 03-15-2018, 12:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,521 Times in 788 Posts

Predators have a lighter, penetrating fade compared to a Firebird. I think you could just anny flex your Flick on windy days, though.

You don't need to bother with anything shipped from the other side of the globe. If anything, mix some Daredevil in your bag. A Wolverine should do it. Or stick with Discraft. They're kind of Canadian in spirit.