Old 03-15-2018, 02:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 199
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 990 Times in 624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANBURGARLAR View Post
I'm wondering if a Predator would suffice as an OS fairway as well (or do i need nate doss power for that)?
The Predator will be a little more OS than the Thunderbird slowplastic recommended. It feels different too, with a kind of bead. You could try a ESP or Big Z instead of Z to see if it's less beefy. I do like Predators, since they're consistently beefy but still have very good glide.

I'm not good at looking at your bag and finding gaps. If you're pretty new, I think it's fine to try lots of different stuff, try some new stuff based on what you think would benefit your game and what people recommend, and then just let your bag grow with you. I'm barely new anymore, but I still notice plenty of throw-to-throw variation which reminds me never to "blame the disc."

Just some observations, based on liking Discraft myself: for one thing, give an ESP Surge a try. At your distance it might even bump the Force as a headwind driver. Great glide and forward fade, but very little high speed turn. Have you thought about trying DGA stuff? Tsunami's are kinda OOP but they're basically a slightly less beefy Predator (old Pred mold) and are magic if you find a good one. I've been tempted to pick up one of these but have resisted so far.

Also, someone above mentioned a Teebird. They're not Discraft, but they're awesome and worth a try. There's a reason they've been around forever and aren't leaving anytime soon.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-15-2018, 04:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 67
Niced 751 Times in 364 Posts

I can't give you any constructive advice, but I do have a question.

The Z 150g Flick (distance overhand shots / uphills) - how are you throwing that when you throw it uphill?

Thanks.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:45 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 306 Times in 195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
The Predator will be a little more OS than the Thunderbird slowplastic recommended. It feels different too, with a kind of bead. You could try a ESP or Big Z instead of Z to see if it's less beefy. I do like Predators, since they're consistently beefy but still have very good glide.

I'm not good at looking at your bag and finding gaps. If you're pretty new, I think it's fine to try lots of different stuff, try some new stuff based on what you think would benefit your game and what people recommend, and then just let your bag grow with you. I'm barely new anymore, but I still notice plenty of throw-to-throw variation which reminds me never to "blame the disc."

Just some observations, based on liking Discraft myself: for one thing, give an ESP Surge a try. At your distance it might even bump the Force as a headwind driver. Great glide and forward fade, but very little high speed turn. Have you thought about trying DGA stuff? Tsunami's are kinda OOP but they're basically a slightly less beefy Predator (old Pred mold) and are magic if you find a good one. I've been tempted to pick up one of these but have resisted so far.

Also, someone above mentioned a Teebird. They're not Discraft, but they're awesome and worth a try. There's a reason they've been around forever and aren't leaving anytime soon.
Funny thing you mentioned it, I spotted an ESP pred + surge on amazon for cheap. Will for sure give those a try, the Surges flight numbers seem pretty ideal. I'm still at the stage where i enjoy trying new molds from other companies occasionally. But i seem to be more biased towards Discraft because it suits my style of game play a little more.

I have tried a champ teebird, it flew well, but i didn't quite like the feel in my hands (was pretty domey for a teebird). I also have tried an S-FD which was more like my Mantis. I have yet to try any DGA stuff, but will keep my eye out in the future.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:49 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecoin View Post
I can't give you any constructive advice, but I do have a question.

The Z 150g Flick (distance overhand shots / uphills) - how are you throwing that when you throw it uphill?

Thanks.
Usually throwing it as a thumber, at least it feels the most comfortable that way. Pans out real wide. You can do tomahawks aswell, but feels a little awkward in hand for me. I use my beat up X-heat for tomahawks.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:58 AM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 690
Niced 880 Times in 380 Posts

You probably don't need a Zone and a Drone. I was guilty of carrying both for a while as well, and found they were just too close to each other.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-16-2018, 06:52 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
You probably don't need a Zone and a Drone. I was guilty of carrying both for a while as well, and found they were just too close to each other.
I feel like you are right. Im at a crossroads with my rhyno, zone, and drone. Its awkward because the zone flies faster than a putter, but i can get my drone out farther still and fills my OS mid slot. And the rhyno is nice for backhand and forehand approaches where I dont need as much dump as the zone... tough choice.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:55 AM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 690
Niced 880 Times in 380 Posts

Quote:
I feel like you are right. Im at a crossroads with my rhyno, zone, and drone. Its awkward because the zone flies faster than a putter, but i can get my drone out farther still and fills my OS mid slot. And the rhyno is nice for backhand and forehand approaches where I dont need as much dump as the zone... tough choice.
I doinked around with a Rhyno for a minute as well. I ended up settling on Zones. The different plastics help a bit and can do different things.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:21 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
I doinked around with a Rhyno for a minute as well. I ended up settling on Zones. The different plastics help a bit and can do different things.
Totally. I blame market oversaturation. And I havent even tried a pig yet. The zone is real solid. But its almost closer to a mid. I just like how slow the rhyno is, and it doesnt skip or do anything funny that the zone does sometimes.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:11 PM

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 18
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
I have a buddy who swears by his Culverin / Saint combo. He seems to do well with them. I just honestly haven't had much of a chance to test out much DD, doesn't have much exposure out here. You have a solid point
Now is the chance for you to dominate the scene. I ditched Axiom, discraft and innova a few years back for the Trilogy and never looked back. I prefer lat gold line plastic to any other plastic out there. Stag and river for fairway, which i rarely use. My main discs enforcer, destiny, havoc, anchor and judge. I bag 13-18 but those are the stitching that holds the bag together.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:44 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 66 Times in 52 Posts

Depending on the culverin you get, (weight and plastic) you might end up with a decent amount of overlap. For the most part I only carry sparks and culverins when it comes to fairways. I use 3 culverins, 172 opto, which is for straight shots, and some softer hyzers, 170 GL which is for tight tunnel shots with a little turn and lastly, I carry a 166 beat GL that I can use for hyzerflips, and long turnovers. If you get one thats 173+ it shouldn't have much overlap but I would suggest at least trying one out!