Old 08-22-2010, 11:13 PM
Maryland State PDGA Coordinator

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 253
Niced 34 Times in 18 Posts

I think it would be really hard....maybe impossible.
9 holers have potential to get monotonous. Often times the second tees are so similar it is not really like playing 18, more like a redo of 9. Bluemont is a great 9 hole course with 3 tee pads, but it is not the same as a 27. ESPECIALLY during tournaments.

you like your 9 holers though best 9 hole thread started by OP you can become the 9 holer expert for DGCR
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2010, 11:47 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nope. If there was a 9-hole that had multiple tees that gave dramatically different looks I would consider giving a 4, but no way to a 4.5 or 5. Those ratings should be saved for the absolute best courses in the country.

I also think that those who would be capable and willing to put in the effort of making a 9-hole course, would much rather put in the same time and effort to make a good 18-hole course.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykeg44 View Post
Nope. If there was a 9-hole that had multiple tees that gave dramatically different looks I would consider giving a 4, but no way to a 4.5 or 5. Those ratings should be saved for the absolute best courses in the country.

I also think that those who would be capable and willing to put in the effort of making a 9-hole course, would much rather put in the same time and effort to make a good 18-hole course.
sometimes adding 9 more baskets can ruin a good course, especially in tight spaces, I have seen it many times, also sometimes the funding is only there for a 9 hole course. Would you rather have 9 targets to make it an 18?

It's not the same time and effort, it's double time, double effort, double space, double maintenance, and double money.

Last edited by prerube; 08-22-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:59 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 67
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerube View Post
sometimes adding 9 more baskets can ruin a good course, especially in tight spaces, I have seen in many times, also sometimes the funding is only there for a 9 hole course. Would you rather have 9 targets to make it an 18?

It's not the same time and effort, it's double time, double effort, double space, double maintenance, and double money
I agree, I'd rather play a good, open 9-holer, than a cramped 18-hole course. But if lack of land or funding is an issue, the course is already inherently limited, and will almost definitely lack what it takes to be a 4+ disc course.

And take out the word "same" and my point still stands. Somebody capable of putting in a great 9-hole course would probably rather spend his time designing an 18-hole course.

Last edited by mykeg44; 08-23-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:02 AM

but for $xx,xxx you can make a 3 star rated 18 holer, or a killer 9 holer that you can maintain by yourself.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:20 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 65
Niced 53 Times in 38 Posts

The biggest issue between a good 9 hole course and a good 18 hole course is the 18 holer can force a wider variety. A 9 hole course is limited. A spectacular 9 hole course (unless its a par 36) at best can only give you 9 challenges, and by default that is a shortcoming to a true 5 disc rated 18 hole course. I have only played (or luckily played) one of the courses in the top ten rated here. Connifer. I only have played it once, and would like to do 2 rounds in a day before I write it a review. That said, I do not believe I would rate it 5 discs. Amazing course in amazing shape though, well worth 4.5 for sure though
Old 08-23-2010, 02:24 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 53
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Heres a sample 5 disc rated 9 hole course:

Hole 1- Throwing over a pit with fire blasting out of it.
Hole 2- Throwing off a 1000 foot hill you take a ski lift to get up to.
Hole 3- Throwing over several ponds filled with alligaters.
Hole 4- Throwing through the boxcar of a moving train.
Hole 5- Throwing into a basket on a speeding rollercoaster.
Hole 6- Throwing into a basket in a wheelbarrel being moved around by a miget in a bikini.
Hole 7- Throwing into the 5th floor window of shady hotel filled with hookers.
Hole 8- Throwing into hole on #8 (blind basket placement)
Hole 9- Throwing into basket floating in a pool on raft.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 1317
Niced 359 Times in 152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry C View Post

Hole 6- Throwing into a basket in a wheelbarrel being moved around by a miget in a bikini.

I played that course last weekend, It was ok - I docked points for lost discs (lost 17 discs that day) the tees were uneven, the hookers were ugly, and I lost my left hand. I'm never playing that one again, I only gave it a 2.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-23-2010, 09:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 278
Niced 1,559 Times in 807 Posts
Default Possible? ABSOLUTLEY.... Likely? NO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
But that is part of the problem. You play every hole twice and you have 100% repetition. Even if they are amazing holes, there are only 9 amazing holes, not 15, 16, 17 or 18 amazing holes.

If there are 2 tees per hole and they drastically different (as in do not share any of the same fairways) you do not have repetition, so in that scenario, it would be much easier to get to a 5.0.
Bingo! The things that drive a course's ratings up in my book are variety and being well thought out. How much variety can you fit into 9 baskets?

I don't like to speak in terms of absolutes, but, IMO the ONLY way to achieve a 5.0 rated course with 9 baskets would be with a decent piece of land (prefereably with some elevation changes) and dual tees.

The tees should not necessarily be set up as short/long, but with holes/lines in mind. A few baskets could feature tees at different elevations (Wagner Park in Royal Oak, MI has a couple like that).

On a few others, set up one tee to pretty much force a hyzer (FH annie) line and the other to force an annie (FH hyzer) line.

Set up others to come at the basket from completely different angles, using different obstacles.

Lastly, perhaps what the course lacks in length can be compensated for with novelty: A basket mounted on a tree stump, interesting mandos or creative use of water (a pin located where one tee shot takes you over water, but the other doesn't). These types of things would keep it fresh and interesting.

Keep in mind, chances are one of the reasons a course is a niner in the first place is limited space. Admittedly, this makes it harder to put in 18 tees that provide significantly different looks at the same pins, while increasing the risk factor of people driving while someone's coming up the fairway from another direction (and wouldn't any of us ding a course's rating for something like that)?

Niced: (1)

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 08-23-2010 at 09:31 AM.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 58
Niced 133 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry C View Post

Is the hooker hole handicap accessible? If not, then no 5 from me. I'm no handicapcist.