Old 08-26-2020, 12:25 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 26.5
Courses Played: 55
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 165 Times in 54 Posts
Default Moving Across the Country - Disc Golf Along the Way

Hi y'all,

In not too long, it is possible that I might be moving across the country to take a new higher paying job (fingers crossed - interviewing today!). The move would be from roughly Milwaukee, WI to Maryland, southeast of Washington DC. Among this is going to be a long drive, that I sure as hell am not going to pass up on the opportunity to play some disc golf courses that I'd otherwise probably never have the opportunity to play.

So - I come to you asking for suggestions. I would be tentatively traveling thru the following metro areas:

Chicago
Indianapolis
One of Cincinnati OR Cleveland, not both
Columbus
Pittsburgh (pretty far south of it, but still worth mentioning)
DC

I'm looking to keep this trip wrapped up in two days, so I probably don't have a ton of time to play a lot of extra courses - maybe 2 or 3 of them tops. I've played pretty much everything good around Milwaukee/southeastern WI, as well as Fairfield in northern IL, and am not super concerned with trying to hit DC or Baltimore area courses because I'll be close enough when I settle down, but what are some "can't miss" courses in these other in-between metro areas?

Idlewild is high on my list (it's the main reason I'm even considering going thru Cincy, it's kind of out of the way otherwise), and I haven't done The Canyons in Lockport, IL, though I'm not super thrilled about going out of my way in Chicago traffic, and may bypass it for that reason alone. But, I'd love to hear anyone else's suggestions for other courses in these areas!
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Kegelexercise; 08-26-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.7
Courses Played: 96
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,520 Times in 964 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

If you get to Idlewild and crunched on time play Lincoln Ridge instead (both if you have the time), challenging and a lot of fun.

Niced: (3)
Old 08-26-2020, 12:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 1193
Niced 93 Times in 41 Posts

Moraine State Park
Deer Lakes

^^^ Pittsburgh area. Those are all u need!!!

Niced: (3)
Old 08-26-2020, 02:24 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 226
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 105 Times in 45 Posts

Hot takes incoming: Easily the best course around Indy is Hazel Landing and it's not too far off the beltway and easy to bag (play the short tees, they're funner). Idlewild should be reason enough to not take the Cleveland route and should be the anchor of your trip. Simsbury AKA Pickerington is on the way on the south side of Columbus. If you take RT 32 from cincy instead of the columbus route, there's a hidden gem Pike Lake that's a quick and really interesting wooded course. You might find yourself near Orange Crush/Seth Burton in WV on that route so that's well worth looking into as well.

Last edited by dr.chainslove; 08-26-2020 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-26-2020, 02:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 180
Niced 1,570 Times in 613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegelexercise View Post
Hi y'all,
Maryland is borderline y'all territory, fyi

Quote:
In not too long, it is possible that I might be moving across the country to take a new higher paying job (fingers crossed - interviewing today!). The move would be from roughly Milwaukee, WI to Maryland, southeast of Washington DC. Among this is going to be a long drive, that I sure as hell am not going to pass up on the opportunity to play some disc golf courses that I'd otherwise probably never have the opportunity to play.
Good luck on the interview!

For what it is worth, we used to drive from Maryland to your part of Wisconsin every year for family holidays. Unfortunately I was not playing much disc golf back then.

Now, I kick myself regularly for missed bagging opportunities on those trips. Better to extend your trip, do more bagging, and live a life free of regret.

Quote:
So - I come to you asking for suggestions. I would be tentatively traveling thru the following metro areas:

Chicago
Indianapolis
One of Cincinnati OR Cleveland, not both
Columbus
Pittsburgh (pretty far south of it, but still worth mentioning)
DC
The fastest route from Milwaukee to DC takes you through Pittsburgh. If you drive that way, can't miss courses would be:

Deer Lakes (4.64)
No. Boundary (4.17)

If you have time, Knob Hill (4.0) is near Deer Lakes and NoBo, and Moraine (4.66) is about 45 minutes north and well worth the drive.

If you end up in the DC area, keep in mind that Pittsburgh is "only" a 4+ hour drive, with plenty of good courses on the way.

Cincinnati adds an hour or two of driving time, but Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge would be worth it, and I enjoyed Mount Airy. From Cincy, check out some West Virginia courses:

Grand Vue Park - Black (4.05), White (4.0 with 1 review), and Yellow (2.54 putter course)
Orange Crush (4.17) / Seth Burton (3.85) are a little out of the way, but worth it.

Whether you route through Cincinnati or Pittsburgh, Paw Paw WV is a must-stop location:

Whippin' Post (4.41)
The Woodshed (4.27)

And if you have time:

Ditto Farms (4.08) in Hagerstown, MD is just off I-70.

Clearly, there are more "can't miss" courses than time allotted. So, um, allot more time!

Niced: (2)
Old 08-26-2020, 03:11 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 220
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,623 Times in 846 Posts

I would save Idle for another trip and stay north. The Canton area one day and Pittsburgh the next is hard to beat for bagging fun.
Old 08-26-2020, 03:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34.5
Courses Played: 367
Niced 125 Times in 64 Posts

I'd save 2 days for the Pittsburgh area: Moraine, Knob, N Boundary(a monster) and Deer Lakes are all top notch.

Ditto in MD was a surprise to me, that course is very nice.

Skip Ohio along the way and get to the other choices.
Old 08-26-2020, 03:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 525
Niced 1,659 Times in 793 Posts

I have basically the same trip lined up for the end of September. So I haven't actually played any of them, but Monocacy's list is pretty much what I'm going to do. The Pittsburgh ones sound like the best options. And Paw Paw.

Niced: (1)

Old 08-27-2020, 04:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 530
Niced 123 Times in 44 Posts

Quote:
Idlewild is high on my list (it's the main reason I'm even considering going thru Cincy, it's kind of out of the way otherwise), and I haven't done The Canyons in Lockport, IL, though I'm not super thrilled about going out of my way in Chicago traffic, and may bypass it for that reason alone. But, I'd love to hear anyone else's suggestions for other courses in these areas!
Yeah, as much as I like the Canyons and Highlands down in Joliet, it's really not worth the detour off of 294 to play them. I can't really recommend any courses between Fairfield and Lemon Lake on 294 TBH.