Old 05-21-2017, 02:43 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 57
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Public Course Design?

My apologies if this belongs somewhere else...

I've built a couple of courses, neither of which any of you have ever heard of probably :-), but i've "designed" a couple of dozen in google earth. i am addicted to the design process.

Now there is a local golf course that is being considered for conversion to multi-use, including a "Championship Disc Golf Course". my addiction has kept me up for 2 nights now and i think the results are pretty great (yes, i know you're laughing now).

My question is, is it ok to post my layout for review and input to this online community or to the local community via club pages, etc.?

No one has asked me to do this, almost no one knows i've done this, and i've never been nor do i ever expect to be paid for doing this. i do admit to enough vanity that i would like to be recognized and appreciated if my ideas are used. Ok, i've handed the knife to you... cut me.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2017, 05:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,123 Times in 2,000 Posts

Nothing wrong with doing so, as long as you're willing to accept criticism, constructive and otherwise.

Though it's hard to really critique a design online, from maps and satellite photos. I think it's easier, for everyone else, to spot bad ideas, than to provide good alternatives. But a lot of us are closet designers, and you won't be the first to post a hypothetical course design. So go for it.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-21-2017, 05:51 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 7
Niced 206 Times in 138 Posts

No reason not to, as you have already indicated relatively thick skin. Take the good and forget the rest.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 15
Niced 469 Times in 285 Posts

Man I have done the same thing in my head lots of times. A friend of mine has a farm we do an ever changing course on. We just kinda walk around as we are playing and say "man, that would be a great shot!" I say throw your ideas out there. It can't hurt, and even if they don't use it as is, there will probably be some ideas that get used. Bear in mind looking at an aerial view is a lot different than being feet on the ground and seeing it as it will be played.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-21-2017, 08:14 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

ok, first an overall description. existing golf course, relatively flat, a number of ponds. what i've done is to lay out 2 separate 'normal' 18 hole courses, blue and yellow, and one super long champ course, red. champ course occupies the space of both other courses and is not intended for use except for Championship of the Universe level tournaments (remember, i'm dreaming). The red course is monstrous, but still requiring skill, placement, planning, etc. there are 2 white 'rulers' representing 300 and 500'. green line represents pathways i have chosen to leave available for walking and running, etc. there are some tpads that will be used for different courses which will face different directions. these will be round and have covered seating in the center.

pictures next...
Old 05-21-2017, 08:19 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

the pro course, and then the other 2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pro course.jpg (155.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg blue and yellow courses.jpg (153.3 KB, 36 views)
Old 05-21-2017, 08:21 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

oh, and the bunkers cost a stroke.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:55 PM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 174
Niced 2,610 Times in 1,206 Posts

I recently played my first DG course on a ball golf course which is The Rock at Stonewall in Germanton, NC (user Mike C. has a great vid of it on here) and the one thing that I came away with right away is that without the usual obstacles associated with a DGC like trees it really places elevation change and greens at a premium. If you can throw decently far, the elevation and fast greens are basically the only challenge left unless there's a lot of water available.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:32 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 48.8
Courses Played: 60
Niced 398 Times in 220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by f'in draggin' View Post

Now there is a local golf course that is being considered for conversion to multi-use, including a "Championship Disc Golf Course". my addiction has kept me up for 2 nights now ..., i've handed the knife to you... cut me.
Have you researched any available public records from the authorities that would be involved? (Beyond obvious social media disc groups and clubs) relevant City Council, county board, etc... There may be some documentation or mention of organization, sponsors, and leadership in place.

You said cut...,

No layout on local pages unless they are mostly your bros. does not sound like they are st this time.

Other than research,, you got to physically go to the club / league for the lowdown. This project may have been in the works for a long time. Scenario overall sounds like a stranger know it all wants jump into decision making position. Basic volunteer, ease into the scene is realistic.

Last edited by MarkDSM; 05-22-2017 at 01:36 AM.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:33 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

"No layout on local pages ..." is good advice, and appreciated.

while in the throes of addiction, i was thinking the obvious brilliance of my vision would shine for the world to see. now that i've put it out there, i see mediocrity. but maybe that is all that can be done with an old golf course. back to the real world now...