Old 06-26-2019, 11:24 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 29 Times in 22 Posts
Default Coverage changing expectations?

Basically what the title says, has the coverage of the best of the best, warped some viewers expectations as to how they should perform? I played league with a guy today that was getting upset for not parking every reachable hole. And when I say reachable, it still required shaping a shot.

When I asked him why that was his reaction, his reply was basically “this is an easy hole, I’ve seen so and so park way harder holes.”

I’ve been playing 10 plus years so maybe I’ve just had the opportunity to realize how bad I am, but has anyone else noticed people thinking it should be as easy as the pros make it look more recently, or has this just always been a thing?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2019, 11:51 PM
Par Member

Niced 92 Times in 48 Posts

I don't think it's a "watching the pros" thing, I think it's a "golf" thing. We all know we can birdie almost any hole, but we aren't consistent enough to do it all the time. Even if the odds are against you, knowing that you can do something and failing sucks. But that's golf. Some people get angry, others shake it off, but what it all comes down to is not being as consistent as we would like.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:27 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 716 Times in 614 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by konza_kid View Post
Basically what the title says, has the coverage of the best of the best, warped some viewers expectations as to how they should perform? I played league with a guy today that was getting upset for not parking every reachable hole. And when I say reachable, it still required shaping a shot.

When I asked him why that was his reaction, his reply was basically “this is an easy hole, I’ve seen so and so park way harder holes.”

I’ve been playing 10 plus years so maybe I’ve just had the opportunity to realize how bad I am, but has anyone else noticed people thinking it should be as easy as the pros make it look more recently, or has this just always been a thing?
No in 2004 I was trying to do what others did on the same hole who were better. This was before I knew about the modern full foot over the other X-Step as it was not as widely known to players, as the info on the internet was not there nor was YouTube available or used for Disc Golf Info.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 06-27-2019 at 12:31 AM.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:20 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 70
Niced 94 Times in 50 Posts

I think people get their expectations of what a certain disc should do and never really consider it is the pro making the disc fly. A lot of people are rushing out to get the Big Z Lunas after Paul parked a 450 foot hole with one. I imagine a lot of people are going to have a new putter they can throw 200-250 in premium plastic.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:56 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 25
Niced 716 Times in 614 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B The V View Post
I think people get their expectations of what a certain disc should do and never really consider it is the pro making the disc fly. A lot of people are rushing out to get the Big Z Lunas after Paul parked a 450 foot hole with one. I imagine a lot of people are going to have a new putter they can throw 200-250 in premium plastic.
Or a Disc they horded to sell for big bucks when Paul is touring as a Master at best if he does not stop to work more with Discraft to design and test discs as well as possibly be a Disc Golf Designer seeing as how Paul has plans to make a disc golf course as heard in a Johnny Disc Golf YouTube interview.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 06-27-2019 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 46
Niced 3,615 Times in 1,563 Posts

Unless he's rocking a full Grip bag with identical setups to Paul, Eagle, etc...then I think you just played with a perfectionist (which is annoying). Nothing to do with the pro game or coverage.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-27-2019, 07:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,021 Times in 510 Posts

Quote:
Basically what the title says, has the coverage of the best of the best, warped some viewers expectations as to how they should perform?
No, and I don't think this happens for any professional sport. I doubt people watched Wayne Gretzky and said "Hey why can't I get 1000 points in my beer league?"

Well, there may be exceptions - the grandiose delusions some people have are very strong.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:14 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 29 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Unless he's rocking a full Grip bag with identical setups to Paul, Eagle, etc...then I think you just played with a perfectionist (which is annoying). Nothing to do with the pro game or coverage.
I have seen this phenomenon a lot more now too, people buying every new special run, which is cool, even if maybe they would be better off with a simpler and beginner oriented bag.

This particular person was definitely emulating the pros in my opinion though. Which again, no judgement, you do you kinda mentality.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-27-2019, 01:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.6
Courses Played: 77
Niced 42 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:

Always been a thing. Some people are just that way. I was already pretty good at throwing discs when I got into playing golf so the game came easier to me than it did to some of my friends. One guy used to get madder and madder as a round went on so I asked him once why. He said, "Because I can't do this as good as YOU!"

Old 06-27-2019, 02:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 307
Niced 2,081 Times in 1,031 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateWesternSky View Post
I don't think it's a "watching the pros" thing, I think it's a "golf" thing. We all know we can birdie almost any hole, but we aren't consistent enough to do it all the time. Even if the odds are against you, knowing that you can do something and failing sucks. But that's golf. Some people get angry, others shake it off, but what it all comes down to is not being as consistent as we would like.
^ This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B The V View Post
Only true for inexperienced players.
Not true of players who understand their game.

There's a reason the top touring Pros are still quite a bit better (day in and day out) most local area Pros and top AM 1 players. The expectation that anyone else can do what they do, as consistently as they do it, is deluded.

That said, it's worth striving for.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 06-27-2019 at 02:05 PM.