Old 12-14-2018, 03:28 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 264 Times in 177 Posts

Traded for a couple of these at a swap meet. Pretty interesting, very forgiving. If you throw it on a bit of an anny it will kind of anhyzer flip to flat and if you throw it on a slight hyzer it will hyzerflip a little bit to flat. Less overstable than a * thunderbird, about equivalent distance for me.

I'll toss one in my bag from time to time for fun, but I don't think it will kick out my normal disc in that slot -- a starfire, just because of the added distance the starfire gets.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2019, 06:18 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 60 Times in 43 Posts

Someone described these as a 1.1 SOLF. I picked one up and agree. Really nice disc, gonna knock my SOLF outta the bag for sure (1.1's are too hard to replace).

My Proline is nicely marbled and they have them available in a lot of weights. If you like the lesser stable SOLF's these things are a must try. Didn't get a sparkle so not sure how those compare to Proline.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:33 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 41
Niced 92 Times in 72 Posts

The Banzai is a very underrated workhorse fairway.

I never would have thought that my Eagle-X's would have been supplanted as my workhorse fairway but due to a recent tournament and feeling like they were a little sluggish, I opted to try out the Banzai more. I initially bought a labeled 167-169 (Proline) Banzai a while back to try out and liked it. While I didn't bag it I did keep it on the back-burner just in case.

Yesterday I did some field work and was crushing the Banzai. I honestly don't feel I had a bad throw with it. I was getting more distance with them than with my Eagles. I don't know why I did put them in the bag earlier. Maybe I thought it would be better to ride out with the Eagles.

I'm going to put the Banzai through some rounds to see if they will truly supplant my Eagles. I'm curious to find out.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:18 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd 81 View Post
The Banzai is a very underrated workhorse fairway.

I never would have thought that my Eagle-X's would have been supplanted as my workhorse fairway but due to a recent tournament and feeling like they were a little sluggish, I opted to try out the Banzai more. I initially bought a labeled 167-169 (Proline) Banzai a while back to try out and liked it. While I didn't bag it I did keep it on the back-burner just in case.

Yesterday I did some field work and was crushing the Banzai. I honestly don't feel I had a bad throw with it. I was getting more distance with them than with my Eagles. I don't know why I did put them in the bag earlier. Maybe I thought it would be better to ride out with the Eagles.

I'm going to put the Banzai through some rounds to see if they will truly supplant my Eagles. I'm curious to find out.
I'm in the same boat as you. I got a Banzai to try for a longer Eagle and I think it is just that, without looking for OOP 1.1 SOLF's. Also prefer it to my 1.1 although I only have one of them.

After having it in the bag a few weeks I am about ready to get rid of my Eagles, I like to have a smaller bag and don't want another mold for a longer shot. Scored my personal best at my favorite course with the Banzai bringing me up from a crappy first 9 holes (mostly putter mid shots).

Definitely picking up a few more of these.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:50 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBMeistor View Post
Someone described these as a 1.1 SOLF. I picked one up and agree. Really nice disc, gonna knock my SOLF outta the bag for sure (1.1's are too hard to replace).

My Proline is nicely marbled and they have them available in a lot of weights. If you like the lesser stable SOLF's these things are a must try. Didn't get a sparkle so not sure how those compare to Proline.
My dilemma is not knowing whether to bag the Bandai or OLF. There is a sight difference between the two but it is very little.

Aside from what you said, are there any other differences and similarities between the two for you?
Old 08-07-2019, 12:11 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd 81 View Post
My dilemma is not knowing whether to bag the Bandai or OLF. There is a sight difference between the two but it is very little.

Aside from what you said, are there any other differences and similarities between the two for you?
I am throwing Banzai because they are a better choice than Eagle and OLF together, for me at least. I don't let chosing between Eagle/OLF get in my head anymore. They throw very similar lines for me to the OLF but aren't so speed dependent I think.

My favorite course has all the long holes I normally use OLF's for at the last 7 or 8 holes. If I get tired by then my OLF's only go as far as if I threw an Eagle (even if I was tired with the Eagle shot).

I throw Eagles on holes from 300' to 330' and OLF's were my distance driver, good to about 350' on a good day for me. Banzai throws the same as my 1.1 OLF as far as turn/fade/distance but when I threw those holes I am normally getting fatigued on they were still getting further out than a throw with an Eagle.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:32 PM
Eagle Member

How close would you all say the Banzai is to the Vulture? I've read where the Vulture is more OS but I've heard someone say that the Banzai is a little more OS.

The reason I ask is that I like the Banzai flight but I want more plastic options. If the Vulture is similar, then I might try that out.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:47 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 78
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 102 Times in 63 Posts

I just got an SP Banzai (they still have some at SunkingDiscs). It is a little more stable than the Proline. I really like it. I am auditioning these against the FD2 right now. FD2 feels better in the hands but I get 20-30ft more distance with the Banzai with the same control. The Banzai is a really good disc, but like crd 81, I am concerned about future availability and plastic options. I may end up bagging it anyway.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:15 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzer Ale View Post
I just got an SP Banzai (they still have some at SunkingDiscs). It is a little more stable than the Proline. I really like it. I am auditioning these against the FD2 right now. FD2 feels better in the hands but I get 20-30ft more distance with the Banzai with the same control. The Banzai is a really good disc, but like crd 81, I am concerned about future availability and plastic options. I may end up bagging it anyway.
To ensure future viability, we have to keep buying them.

I'm glad you got a SP. I've been eyeballing the same ones. I need to get one.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:37 PM
Eagle Member

Here's the responses I got from the Vulture thread about the comparisons between the two:

jjmiller:
Quote:
Never thrown a Banzai. Shop has one in the used bin. Rim measured ~.710”, or same as the Undertaker/Tracker. Vultures come in around .735”, same as Predator/Raptor. Doesn’t say much except a Banzai theoretically isn’t as “fast” and may be more likely to have more turn and/or less fade.
NotHarambe:
Quote:
The Banzai feels slower with a harder finish than a Culture (comparing Proline to ESP). You might get a more similar flight out of some of the more stable plastics for the Vulture like BigZ or that run of Cryztal that's supposed to be nice and beefy
wolfmandragon:
Quote:
I have never thrown a Vulture but the Banzai is very MOLF like in its flight. A little harder fade, but later. It's got plenty of fade
Hope this helps out for people who are checking in this thread.

Niced: (1)