Old 08-20-2019, 10:56 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 692
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,494 Times in 676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
Don't remember ever hearing "padded" and "OB" in the same sentence.
Consider that players throwing 1000 rated rounds at Eureka averaged about 58 actual throws plus 6 strokes of OB boosting their total score versus players on HB Gold actually making 64 throws with maybe 0.2 penalty boost (no UDisc data but also minimal OB) in their 1000 rated round. Peppering a typically temp course with OB design elements with 1 and up to 2-throw equivalent penalties has become a popular way to boost scoring and SSA on tour courses without actually increasing the number of throws required. Thus, the term "penalty padding."
Sponsored Links

Niced: (3)
Old 08-20-2019, 12:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 29
Niced 316 Times in 205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
Scores went up sometime last night.

I played BB on Monday morning and it was amazing. I like the the new flow with a few holes that got changed up. I will miss old hole 8 though.
I played it Monday as well, fantastic weather and a really fantastic course. If blueberry were used instead of Woodlands it could have been a sort of remake of 2007 worlds. The one new hole I think is an excellent addition.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:08 PM

Blueberry has some additional changes underway with three new holes being developed. The first half of old 8 will be reversed and descend into a large previously unused area with par 4 and par 5 pin placements like old 8. Looking at combining 18 tee to 1 basket as new 18. Sounds like signature hole 2 may become Hole 1 in the new flow.

Old 08-20-2019, 03:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 453 Times in 193 Posts

Quote:
Don't remember ever hearing "padded" and "OB" in the same sentence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Consider that players throwing 1000 rated rounds at Eureka averaged about 58 actual throws plus 6 strokes of OB boosting their total score versus players on HB Gold actually making 64 throws with maybe 0.2 penalty boost (no UDisc data but also minimal OB) in their 1000 rated round. Peppering a typically temp course with OB design elements with 1 and up to 2-throw equivalent penalties has become a popular way to boost scoring and SSA on tour courses without actually increasing the number of throws required. Thus, the term "penalty padding."
Thanks for the clarification.
I understand the concept, it just struck me as a jarring juxtaposition.
Knowing I may be in the minority, I actually enjoy watching championship-level DG on a course like temp Eureka and Winthrop Gold and Memorial.

Here's the way I look at it (admittedly simplistic):
Woods disc golf, (like Northwoods, Maple Hill) means you have to worry most about the flight (trees, hanging branches, open lines).
Park disc golf, (like Temp Eureka, Winthrop Gold, Fountain Hills) means you have to worry most about the landing (wind, OB ropes, water, pavement).

Again, very simplistic, but generally true.
Personally, I enjoy the thought process that it takes to play each course in the way it demands.
Enjoy watching it and playing it.
I'm one of those people that enjoys playing park golf and woods golf.
They each have their place and I enjoy both, and maybe a slight nod to Park disc golf.

Pardon the thread drift.
I am excited for the resurrection of HH and hope to play those courses someday.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by DiscJunkie; 08-20-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:51 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 70
Niced 20 Times in 4 Posts

I had a ton of fun playing the HHO and camping with a bunch of friends. It was awesome to see that many people there and the place is looking great.

Players meeting:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-20-2019, 04:50 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 101
Niced 536 Times in 265 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification.
I understand the concept, it just struck me as a jarring juxtaposition.
Knowing I may be in the minority, I actually enjoy watching championship-level DG on a course like temp Eureka and Winthrop Gold and Memorial.

Here's the way I look at it (admittedly simplistic):
Woods disc golf, (like Northwoods, Maple Hill) means you have to worry most about the flight (trees, hanging branches, open lines).
Park disc golf, (like Temp Eureka, Winthrop Gold, Fountain Hills) means you have to worry most about the landing (wind, OB ropes, water, pavement).
When I was getting into this sport 17 years ago, it was the FLIGHT of the discs that intrigued myself the most and was also the most gratifying. Now I do believe the ability to land your disc onto every surface is another wrinkle/skillset that is important but nothing tops the flight of the disc.

Being able to make a disc fly 300 feet straight and then get a late turn just when needed is a thing of beauty. Forcing a flexshot to perfectly snake through a tight fairway without touching a thing, again is marvelous. I could go on and on...

Old 08-21-2019, 05:18 PM

For those of you who played in the event and haven't written any course reviews, consider posting a new one or two or three if you feel comfortable doing so to help update conditions. Or, if you have an old review please consider updating it.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 49.8
Courses Played: 52
Niced 540 Times in 224 Posts

MM, Buzzflicker and I just finished playing 1-10 on Bear this evening. Awesome experience!

Old 08-22-2019, 08:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 135
Niced 963 Times in 512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Crippler View Post
MM, Buzzflicker and I just finished playing 1-10 on Bear this evening. Awesome experience!
I'm planning on coming back Oct 3-5, with dreams of playing Bear. And I always wanted to go up there during fall colors.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:17 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 49.8
Courses Played: 52
Niced 540 Times in 224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
I'm planning on coming back Oct 3-5, with dreams of playing Bear. And I always wanted to go up there during fall colors.
It should be in excellent shape by then. All the baskets are out now and all 18 should be either mowed, brush hogged or weed whipped by tonight. We're gonna try to play all 18 this evening.

Niced: (2)