Old 08-22-2019, 01:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 958 Times in 509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
If its radar then it is still evaluating the raised seams. Could be done with a reflective stripe on the edge of the disc maybe.
I don't think that is true. It's hard to find much info on how the baseball system works, but I think it comes down to using multiple sensors, and the fact that various parts of the ball are moving at different speeds, which radar can detect.

Here's the patent application for the spin rate detection:
http://baseball.physics.illinois.edu...BallPatent.pdf
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2019, 01:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 124
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 677 Times in 321 Posts

It's probably really tough to get "real world" spin data on discs. For baseball pitches, they are all travelling in a known and very narrow corridor, so it's much easier to set up the equipment to regularly and accurately record measure/record spin data during actual gameplay. (Also there's enough interest and money in baseball analytics to make that pursuit worthwhile.)

Whereas in disc golf, even when throwing from the same tee pad, players are taking a variety of different lines. Then subsequent throws from a large variety of locations. So just positioning the equipment to try and track spin rates during a round would be a huge task and still likely produce incomplete results.

Throwing into nets indoors would make it easier to collect disc spinning data on a reliable basis, but then the question becomes: does that environment skew the results at all? Are you really getting a data set that is representative of how folks throw during competitive rounds? Hard to know for sure.

So I guess what I'm saying is:
The OP raises some interesting questions, but I doubt there's a reliable dataset out there that would allow them to be answered.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by ThrowBot; 08-22-2019 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Spin to Win!
Old 08-22-2019, 01:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 162
Niced 1,159 Times in 573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODRB View Post
"[No] good thrower thinks anything about . . . spinning it, at all."

-Nate Sexton
And yet here we have an entire thread about spinning it.

Way to go DGCR.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:11 PM
Par Member

Niced 247 Times in 98 Posts

It would be hard to do in a tournament setting, but it would be easy enough to do in a field session using slo-mo video. If nothing else it would be interesting to get a couple numbers on some pro throws (like Ricky, Paul, Paige) and see how disc speed at release, spin rate, and distance correlate.

I have a hypothesis that with good form spin rate mostly correlates with arm speed. As evidence, let’s look at the 500’ putter throws. The only way to get a putter out that far without turn and burn is if there’s a lot more spin on it than you and I can do-it would be like throwing into a 30+ mph headwind.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
Throwing into nets indoors would make it easier to collect disc spinning data on a reliable basis, but then the question becomes: does that environment skew the results at all? Are you really getting a data set that is representative of how folks throw during competitive rounds? Hard to know for sure.
That's more what I was thinking. Like how some tourneys already do this with radar guns so people can see their velocity. I'd like to see that done with the full trackman setup and then let the pros just mess around on it for a while.

Quote:
And yet here we have an entire thread about spinning it.

Way to go DGCR.
Wow, Nate Sexton said not to think about it, cooooooool. You're so smart for not wasting your time thinking about it......except for posting more times in this thread than anyone else.

Niced: (4)
Old 08-22-2019, 01:42 PM
Par Member

Niced 98 Times in 47 Posts

There are some old threads on this that somebody could prerube if they're less lazy than me. Or if I get bored, hahaha.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:53 PM
Par Member

Niced 98 Times in 47 Posts

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum.../t-111158.html
Old 08-22-2019, 02:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 19
Niced 789 Times in 468 Posts

Quote:
"Neither Paul [McBeth] nor I nor any good thrower thinks anything about consciously snapping the disc on a drive."
-Nate Sexton
Is that from one of his older interviews? I think I remember seeing that years ago, good stuff. The reason no good thrower is thinking about it is due to muscle memory learned from years of practice. I think it's vital for new throwers to understand the concept and how it affects the disc, especially on slower speed discs, glide, etc. But I certainly agree over time you stop thinking about it and it becomes 2nd nature.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Is that from one of his older interviews? I think I remember seeing that years ago, good stuff. The reason no good thrower is thinking about it is due to muscle memory learned from years of practice. I think it's vital for new throwers to understand the concept and how it affects the disc, especially on slower speed discs, glide, etc. But I certainly agree over time you stop thinking about it and it becomes 2nd nature.
I agree. But being below the level of conscious decisions doesn't mean players aren't throwing shots with more or less spin.

Like headwind putts. I think most everyone puts some extra snap/spin on a short putt into a headwind vs with a tailwind. I know I do.

I wouldn't say I consciously "think about spin" per se, but it's definitely one of the variables my brain is calculating as I stand there feeling the wind, trying to lock into the line I want to hit.

Maybe a better example of using spin intentionally is a short putt, 30-50', with a large tree directly the path, so I'm trying to get left as quickly as possible after the tree. Spin putting is much easier to get the putter to glide over left, compared to push putting. Some shots like that I almost feel like I am trying to spin the disc in place - snapping the wrist really hard while still throwing a putt-speed shot.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 27
Niced 297 Times in 179 Posts

Here is some more information with data https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...7&postcount=20. I can't remember the spelling of the name but the data was from someone like "Podansky".

This is the DGCR thread where HUB also posted https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=115020