#1  
Old 08-09-2019, 05:46 PM
markmcc's Avatar
markmcc markmcc is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wherever the RV is parked
Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 267
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 583
Niced 169 Times in 72 Posts
Default "Bit of a Lazy Mark Job by ..."

There have been a few discussions about marking discs, marking violations, etc. and here is a case where a marking violation clearly occurred. It didn't make any difference in the scoring and it would have been easier to not mark the disc and just drop another in.

The commentators mention it but otherwise nothing happened.

Does it matter? Do we care? Does it matter if we care?

https://youtu.be/IBHzaM9Govs?t=354
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-09-2019, 05:55 PM
Jay Dub's Avatar
Jay Dub Jay Dub is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SW Ohio
Years Playing: 39.5
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,796
Niced 801 Times in 306 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Default

It shouldn't be done that way but this one didn't matter.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-09-2019, 05:58 PM
hiflyer's Avatar
hiflyer hiflyer is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SoCal
Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 462
Niced 241 Times in 124 Posts
Default

As far as I know, you are not required to mark the disc:
So yeah, just set it in the basket and be done.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-09-2019, 06:01 PM
JC17393 JC17393 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Years Playing: 21.7
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 7,655
Niced 3,427 Times in 1,437 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
As far as I know, you are not required to mark the disc:
So yeah, just set it in the basket and be done.
You're absolutely required to mark the lie if you intend to use the disc on the ground to hole out.

The player in the video did it incorrectly, but the worst that comes of it, if it's called and assuming it's the first of the round, is a warning anyway. So ultimately not a huge thing but still not a good look for a so-called professional player.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-09-2019, 06:25 PM
Putt for D'oh's Avatar
Putt for D'oh Putt for D'oh is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,080
Niced 442 Times in 253 Posts
Default

Ok, so super lazy with the marker, but... this doesn't really appear to be cause for a warning.
The mini is on the playing surface (literally slid off the disc into a spot touching the front of the disc and his foot was in the correct placement when he dropped in.

I guess we want to see him lean the mini up against the pole then retrieve then pickup the disc?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-09-2019, 06:31 PM
Jay Dub's Avatar
Jay Dub Jay Dub is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SW Ohio
Years Playing: 39.5
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,796
Niced 801 Times in 306 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
Ok, so super lazy with the marker, but... this doesn't really appear to be cause for a warning.
The mini is on the playing surface (literally slid off the disc into a spot touching the front of the disc and his foot was in the correct placement when he dropped in.

I guess we want to see him lean the mini up against the pole then retrieve then pickup the disc?
No, just use a different disc to drop into the basket.

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-09-2019, 06:42 PM
Putt for D'oh's Avatar
Putt for D'oh Putt for D'oh is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,080
Niced 442 Times in 253 Posts
Default

Fair enough, its what I would normally do. I also always putt with two putters so drop in like that all the time.

But there is a way that we are expected, maybe traditionally mark a lie, BUT looking at the rules I don't really see how this would be considered a marking violation.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-09-2019, 06:48 PM
markmcc's Avatar
markmcc markmcc is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wherever the RV is parked
Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 267
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 583
Niced 169 Times in 72 Posts
Default

By the rules, he had two choices. First was leave the thrown disc where it was and use a different disc. Second was to place the mini in front of the thrown disc, and then pick up the disc and use it.

He picked up the thrown disc before it was correctly marked, and the mini ended up in the wrong place. It clearly didn't effect the result but the marking was not handled correctly.

I'd say that this clearly was a marking violation.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-09-2019, 07:03 PM
Putt for D'oh's Avatar
Putt for D'oh Putt for D'oh is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,080
Niced 442 Times in 253 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmcc View Post
By the rules, he had two choices. First was leave the thrown disc where it was and use a different disc. Second was to place the mini in front of the thrown disc, and then pick up the disc and use it.

He picked up the thrown disc before it was correctly marked, and the mini ended up in the wrong place. It clearly didn't effect the result but the marking was not handled correctly.

I'd say that this clearly was a marking violation.
Its not prescriptively spelled out like that anywhere. Maybe tribal knowledge. "touching the front edge of the disc" still doesn't say "in front" of the thrown disc.

Its something I wondered a while ago. I would bump my disc when putting the mini down and one day wondered if moving the disc while I was placing the mini was a violation or not, not that I ever really moved it much but bumped it with the mini. I looked it up, again not likely it would be noticed or if so anyone would say anything but wanted to know. I don't see where the process of marking as we pass on through tribal knowledge is in any way spelled out.
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 08-09-2019, 07:15 PM
JC17393 JC17393 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Years Playing: 21.7
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 7,655
Niced 3,427 Times in 1,437 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
Its not prescriptively spelled out like that anywhere. Maybe tribal knowledge. "touching the front edge of the disc" still doesn't say "in front" of the thrown disc.

Its something I wondered a while ago. I would bump my disc when putting the mini down and one day wondered if moving the disc while I was placing the mini was a violation or not, not that I ever really moved it much but bumped it with the mini. I looked it up, again not likely it would be noticed or if so anyone would say anything but wanted to know. I don't see where the process of marking as we pass on through tribal knowledge is in any way spelled out.
The rule used to be a lot more descriptive and exact about the marking procedure. From the 2011 rule book (803.03): "A. After each throw, the thrown disc must be left where it came to rest until the lie is established by the placing of a marker. This can be done by placing a mini marker disc on the playing surface between the hole and the disc, directly in line with the hole, on the line of play, touching the thrown disc. A player may instead choose, without touching or repositioning the thrown disc, to use the thrown disc as the marker. The marker may not be moved until the throw is released. A marker inadvertently moved prior to the throw shall be returned to its correct location."

I think you're correct that there is an element of "tribal knowledge" that has led to some much more vague descriptions/instructions in the rule book than there used to be.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Innova 150 Class Shark "The Doors" Not A Dye Job ilovesandwiches Discs 3 08-28-2014 03:46 PM
Discs acting very "lazy" with better form Snailpowered Technique & Strategy 9 08-22-2013 11:02 PM
Mark "Lizard Lawyer" Ellis' Signature Prototype The Marketplace 4 01-27-2012 07:33 AM
Big time "For Sale" thread, mostly used, a bit of new bbwrenn The Marketplace 19 09-28-2011 01:40 PM
Does a custom dye job count as being "uniquely marked"? zenbot Technique & Strategy 10 09-16-2009 01:58 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.