Old 05-03-2018, 04:12 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 94
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 322 Times in 162 Posts
Default Course Optics/Visibility

I'm interested in hearing about those of you who have designed courses and whether you have taken into account how a hole looks from the tee or how a course looks as it is walked.

For example, in a course that I am designing I have designed some holes based, in some part, on whether and how much the basket is visible from the tee box or near the tee box at least on the par 3 holes. For example, on the first hole, I chose a straight fairway based partly on the idea that when I play a new course, I like to be able to see the first basket from the tee. I think the hole works better that way anyway (because it has OB directly behind the basket and a somewhat narrow gap about midway down the fairway on a 250' slightly downhill hole).

On a couple of other holes basket placement will also be chosen in part on visibility from the tee box. Some of the clearing that is being done is also for the aesthetics of the course because the course is in a very pretty area but has a lot of underbrush that doesn't come into play but gives it an almost jungle feel that I'd rather avoid is some places.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2018, 04:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 321 Times in 155 Posts

absolutely try to get the basket visible from the tee, even if it's only in the winter. navigation is so much easier when you can see the basket from the tee.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 47.7
Courses Played: 60
Niced 360 Times in 199 Posts

Curious why ‘no blind placements from tee’ would be a design concern in regards to navigation.

My rationales for blind is fine if safety is reasonable:
The vast majority of course plays are locals and repeat plays.
Allows for reward of advanced flight paths like huge hard fades, long s-curve flights, and turning rollers.
Walking up fairways to check lines and distances is normal expectation of competive play.
Map and sign reading are part of playing disc golf.
Blind positions allow for flexibility in alernate pin positions which add some variety in replaying a course.

I do agree that hole one being clear sight is good in general. In my perfect world numbers one and two are pretty straight fairways, no big obstacles first 2/3rds of the fairway and no nasty OB. Number two basket near number one tee and parking is ideal. Great for waiting for friends, warm-ups and extra play after a round when traffic allows.

Last edited by MarkDSM; 05-03-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:21 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.4
Courses Played: 360
Niced 1,665 Times in 816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
... the course is in a very pretty area but has a lot of underbrush that doesn't come into play...
I've never met an underbrush that can be seen and doesn't come into play.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:19 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 94
Niced 322 Times in 162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
I've never met an underbrush that can be seen and doesn't come into play.
You've never been to this course.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,296 Times in 1,458 Posts

Yes and no. Only one (private) course where I can take partial blame for the design. Yes, some holes are designed with consideration for optics---how they look from the tee, and what the view is from the tee. No holes designed to make sure you can see the basket from the tee; for that matter, on many or most, you can't see it.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 311
Niced 2,134 Times in 1,059 Posts

Most "championship caliber" courses feature many (if not the majority of) holes that are blind from the tee... and I'm fine with that. How else do you create interesting and complex holes that force you to hit a landing spot for a approach to the green?

I never mind walking even long fairways on a course I'm unfamiliar with, to figure out just what I'm trying to do, as long as:
1) it really is a good hole.
2) it's obvious where I should look.

Decent signage showing intended route, distance, and pin position... so players know which direction to look, after walking 300' down a 450' fairway to spot the basket.

If the basket's in the thick woods/shadows... PLEASE USE SOME COLOR! for crying out loud... even if it's just spray painting the pole a florescent color.

Searching for plain Chainstars or DGAs on long, heavily wooded courses is a buzz kill.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 05-03-2018 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Most "championship caliber" courses feature many (if not the majority of) holes that are blind from the tee... and I'm fine with that. How else do you create interesting and complex holes that force you to hit a landing spot for a approach to the green?
Exactly.

It can be difficult to design a hole where there's enough open space to see the basket, but not to throw to the basket along that sightline. Sometimes you have woods with just the right density to see through, but not throw through, but not often.

The longer the hole, the more difficult that is.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:11 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.5
Courses Played: 169
Niced 45 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Exactly.

It can be difficult to design a hole where there's enough open space to see the basket, but not to throw to the basket along that sightline. Sometimes you have woods with just the right density to see through, but not throw through, but not often.

The longer the hole, the more difficult that is.
On par 4's and 5's, sure. On par 3's MOST of the time a sight-line can be created. I see a lot of holes where the baskets are intentionally hidden when they could be visible a couple feet one way or the other. I do NOT see the upside of this.

Niced: (2)

Old 05-09-2018, 07:03 AM
* Ace Member *

At our course, there are a bunch of par-3s where the basket can't be seen from the tee. None are intentional.

For a few, we'd like to cut peepholes through the thick rough---enough to see through, but not to throw threw. We intend to do so. But there's always a lot more work to do than gets done, and these never get high enough on the priority list.

A few others are the exceptions you cite (by using "most of the time")---the hilly terrain, or large trees, block the view.

You're right that there's no upside in not seeing the basket---but not much downside, either. After playing a time or two, you know where the basket is, and generally know where a decent shot has landed. We generally feel that the better holes outweigh their being blind.

Niced: (2)