Old 08-24-2017, 09:28 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 737 Times in 629 Posts

One of my local courses requires an understable disc, from the Tee Pad you can't throw forehand and the hole is a wooded must go right disc. I use the an Express in Elite X on this hole, only Express that has right turn to it for this hole. I also have use That Express on other courses when you must go right on the hole and you can't throw forehand.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2017, 10:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 194
Niced 1,748 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
One of my local courses requires an understable disc, from the Tee Pad you can't throw forehand and the hole is a wooded must go right disc. I use the an Express in Elite X on this hole, only Express that has right turn to it for this hole. I also have use That Express on other courses when you must go right on the hole and you can't throw forehand.
Why cant you throw fh? Or do you mean YOU cant throw fh?
Old 08-25-2017, 01:05 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 737 Times in 629 Posts

On that hole most can't throw Forehand, trees, bushes, etc get in the way. My dad can on this hole, as that was his initial type of throw and even putted at one point forehand with a Hard Wizard. He has since learned how to throw back hand. I think it was that he had to throw forhand as all Wham-O Frisbee's and other brand discs were understable Until he threw Disc Golf Discs in 2004. I had played catch an ultimate with him as a younger kid but I had not seen anybody except him throw exclusively forehand. My dad used those as his first disc an even older disc but a knock off version of the saucer disc, that the originals were made by the guy who went on to Wham-O and make the original. Though this is the original model my dad had the mid 1960's version that was different and made cheep by some company, all after originals were knock offs after the guy who made the original went to work for Wham-O and stopped making these original toys. Somebody was still making a version of this disc in the 1990's though I used a knock off of the Wham-O Fastback, a promotional toy that was like a Wham-O Fast back as my first disc but then would play with my dad with his 1980's black with red shiny lettering 172 gram World Class Frisbee in the 1990's I have a junior 130 gram one I bought in 2001 but that one might be gone as I did use it along with my 2000 pre DuPont Rubber Putter as one of my original discs to play Disc Golf with. My mom has the Old Rubber Putter she uses it as an Approach disc.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 08-25-2017 at 01:07 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:50 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 98
Niced 232 Times in 124 Posts

When the aliens finally get hold of disc golf world tour video from this era, they will assume that all the humans' frisbees were over stable because of they will see mostly hyzerfesting. They will have no way to know that the normal humans that were not recorded had understable plastic to help them throw further and shape certain shots. The aliens will figure it out for themselves once they start producing their own discs, just like many humans have had to do.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 29 Times in 23 Posts

My reasons to carry understable discs.

- Low power throwers can throw farther.
- Some left to right lines don't work as well for forehand were you get hard skip right, or for a flex shot where it will be fading back to the left.
- Tunnel shots are often best for hyzer flip lines with understable discs.
- Even if it isn't a tunnel, sometimes you want a low power shot to stay straight or turn a bit, instead of fade hard. Understable Mid.
- Long shots with a tailwind (tailwind makes a disc more stable).
- High elevation makes discs more stable.

Watch Michael Johansen sometime and you can see the amazing lines you can get with a Comet or Mantis.

They have a down side as well:

- Flip hard in the wind.
- Harder to control the line - sometimes flips too much, sometimes stables out too early. (at least for me).
Old 08-25-2017, 12:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 163
Niced 1,172 Times in 577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG_Before_Breakfast View Post
My reasons to carry understable discs.

- Low power throwers can throw farther.
- Some left to right lines don't work as well for forehand were you get hard skip right, or for a flex shot where it will be fading back to the left.
- Tunnel shots are often best for hyzer flip lines with understable discs.
- Even if it isn't a tunnel, sometimes you want a low power shot to stay straight or turn a bit, instead of fade hard. Understable Mid.
- Long shots with a tailwind (tailwind makes a disc more stable).
- High elevation makes discs more stable.
All of this. Add sky annies, rollers that finish right (RHBH), and playing your 12th 18 of the weekend.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,206 Times in 531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODRB View Post
All of this. Add sky annies, rollers that finish right (RHBH), and playing your 12th 18 of the weekend.
Also add a high hyzer with an understable disc has more lateral movement than a disc with more stability. Useful.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-25-2017, 03:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,071 Times in 535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODRB View Post
rollers that finish right (RHBH)
this is a really important one for me and other people who can't blast a sidearm 300'+. I roll with a mongoose on a lot of holes where players with more power will throw a sidearm.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:46 AM

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 1
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bag a beat McPro Aviar, beat Nova, beat Champ Mako3, beat Fusion Truth, and a beat star Wraith for my more US discs. I play a lot of wooded courses so being able to throw straight a long ways is absolutely necessary. Being more US, I am able to either hyzerflip them, or power down and get an extremely straight flight. If you have good form, you'll quickly understand the beauty of an understable disc. I'm lucky and one of the our local course pros played a round with me with a really beat up Roc and was throwing the most amazing hyzer flip-to flat shots I've ever seen; I was sold after that.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:22 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 15
Niced 464 Times in 281 Posts

Because hyzerflip to slow turnover is the prettiest shot in disc golf.

Because turnover backhand lines are different than overstable forehand lines.

Because leopards are cool.

Because I just won't take these beat to hell aviars and rocs out of my bag. I know too well how they fly and they do many, many things stable discs won't do.

Because on the east coast spike thumpers with an understable disc are a thing that will shave strokes.