Old 09-01-2020, 06:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,487 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
I took the top 12 scores from that weeks league. Most of which were playing in the pro division. So sure, the percentages are a little lower then if all the top guys were putting, but it gives us a good look at the drop off from the current normal basket size to a marksman basket.

We can estimate the most of top guys would be not dropping off quite as much. I should look up Meltons and Dickersons numbers for fun over the course of the season.

It is still a recreational league.

Not only that, but it's most likely not a basket that they are used to putting on or have much practice on.

Your logic is flawed because you are not using sound science.

You have a hypothesis and are trying to make the "evidence" fit that.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-01-2020, 07:01 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 146 Times in 101 Posts

Melton -

64.33% from 33 feet. 90 putts over the season on Veteran basket.

51.16% from 33 feet. 90 putts on the marksman.

Dickerson -

70% on Veteran basket. 33 feet, 60 putts.

60% on Marksman basket. 33 feet, 60 putts. (really impressive)

(2 weeks Dickerson putted better/made more putts on the Marksman) I doubt the 10% spread hold true over a longer period. I think it widens as those are outliers.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:03 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
It is still a recreational league.

Not only that, but it's most likely not a basket that they are used to putting on or have much practice on.

Your logic is flawed because you are not using sound science.

You have a hypothesis and are trying to make the "evidence" fit that.
Are you trying to say a smaller basket is just as easy?

What is your theory exactly?
Old 09-01-2020, 07:14 PM
Eagle Member

Wow.

Did some 25 footer math as well. 60 putts on each.

Dickerson on Veteran = 91.75%

Dickerson on Marksman = 77%
Old 09-01-2020, 07:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 7
Niced 1,285 Times in 643 Posts

Quote:
Wow.

Did some 25 footer math as well. 60 putts on each.

Dickerson on Veteran = 91.75%

Dickerson on Marksman = 77%
What are those percentages on your 3" smaller basket??? Marksmen are way smaller than 3" smaller.

Also, 91.75 doesn't equal 100, last I checked.....you claimed c1 was absolutely automatic, 100%. Hmmm. Could it be you were wrong????
Old 09-01-2020, 08:06 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 2
Niced 298 Times in 142 Posts

I watched b-tier lost valley open. Pretty sure lights out putting is only an issue when watching the upper levels of the major events.

Smaller baskets would simply narrow the field to a handful of people.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-01-2020, 08:44 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
What are those percentages on your 3" smaller basket??? Marksmen are way smaller than 3" smaller.

Also, 91.75 doesn't equal 100, last I checked.....you claimed c1 was absolutely automatic, 100%. Hmmm. Could it be you were wrong????
I never said 100% and 91.75% is close! I said essentially gimmes, Not worth watching. Maybe we need to go much closer to Marksman size to get the desired result.

This league though, rewards the most points for the station 4 and station 5 putts. So the amount of focus could have slightly been higher for those as well, not to mention the putter is warmed up after firing 15 putts from stations 1-3.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:00 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46.4
Courses Played: 426
Niced 2,222 Times in 1,066 Posts

Quote:
Like I said, it comes down to the size of the basket. Unless you create man made obstacles like artificial OB, raise the basket, place it on a mound, add a triple mando or simply leave a wall of trees that creates 3 foot gaps, it's simply going to be too many birdies.

I don't know why some people cannot understand this basic logic.
Because it's wrong.

How many birdies is too many? What do you count as a birdie? Most events are held on courses designed for recreational play and use pars that are overly generous for the MPO division.

Could it be that you are looking at those (often) stupidly soft pars when you conclude there are too many birdies?

Or worse, are you one of those old guys who insist par is "reach plus two" so you think we need two putts?
It never was.

I'm not saying there aren't too many birdies, but that is a problem with TDs failing to set par according to the definition. If we merely set par according to the definition, exactly the proper amount of birdies will remain. On any size basket. That's the flaw in your logic.

From the Rule Book: "Par is the score that an expert disc golfer would be expected to make on a given hole with errorless play under ordinary weather conditions, as determined by the Director. "

Old 09-01-2020, 09:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 92
Niced 2,530 Times in 1,013 Posts

Steve this is the exact thing I said many many pages ago. OMDG issue is with par but I got completely ignored.

oh well

Old 09-01-2020, 09:25 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Because it's wrong.

How many birdies is too many? What do you count as a birdie? Most events are held on courses designed for recreational play and use pars that are overly generous for the MPO division.

Could it be that you are looking at those (often) stupidly soft pars when you conclude there are too many birdies?

Or worse, are you one of those old guys who insist par is "reach plus two" so you think we need two putts?
It never was.

I'm not saying there aren't too many birdies, but that is a problem with TDs failing to set par according to the definition. If we merely set par according to the definition, exactly the proper amount of birdies will remain. On any size basket. That's the flaw in your logic.

From the Rule Book: "Par is the score that an expert disc golfer would be expected to make on a given hole with errorless play under ordinary weather conditions, as determined by the Director. "
I would say if 50% of the open field is making birdie on any hole that hole is birdied too often. I have seen many holes over 60%. Yet the hole is never eagled either, so if you made the hole a par 2 or 3 then that makes no sense either. Yes it does come down to the basket as well because a tougher basket will raise the scores, make that 50-60% birdied hole much less.

Unless you want to argue that a smaller basket won't change anything, which is asinine.