Old 09-01-2020, 10:08 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46.4
Courses Played: 426
Niced 2,213 Times in 1,059 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
I would say if 50% of the open field is making birdie on any hole that hole is birdied too often. I have seen many holes over 60%. Yet the hole is never eagled either, so if you made the hole a par 2 or 3 then that makes no sense either. Yes it does come down to the basket as well because a tougher basket will raise the scores, make that 50-60% birdied hole much less.

Unless you want to argue that a smaller basket won't change anything, which is asinine.
If over 50% of the open field is making birdie on any hole that hole should likely have a lower par.

If a hole is getting 60% 2s, it's a par 2. If it's getting 50% 3s, it's a par 3. How would those pars not make sense?

Or are you in the "all holes must be birdie-able" camp? Or are you part of the "Par is one more than a good score" cult? I forget to list that bit of misguided thought. Look again at the definition.

Most holes with well-set pars will never (or almost never) be eagled. To eagle a hole, a player needs to make one throw that is as good as three errorless throws by an expert. One example would be a 1275-foot drive on flat ground. Possible, sure. Happen multiple times? Almost certainly not.

Let's say a smaller basket adds one entire throw. If you still believe that par is a good score plus one (or if TDs still set par according to one of the other false notions floating around), you'll still get too many birdies. The so-called birdies will just be one higher in score.

There may be reasons for smaller baskets, but masking over the (now-diminishing) problem of setting par too high is not one of them.
Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2020, 10:37 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 137 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
If over 50% of the open field is making birdie on any hole that hole should likely have a lower par.

If a hole is getting 60% 2s, it's a par 2. If it's getting 50% 3s, it's a par 3. How would those pars not make sense?

Or are you in the "all holes must be birdie-able" camp? Or are you part of the "Par is one more than a good score" cult? I forget to list that bit of misguided thought. Look again at the definition.

Most holes with well-set pars will never (or almost never) be eagled. To eagle a hole, a player needs to make one throw that is as good as three errorless throws by an expert. One example would be a 1275-foot drive on flat ground. Possible, sure. Happen multiple times? Almost certainly not.

Let's say a smaller basket adds one entire throw. If you still believe that par is a good score plus one (or if TDs still set par according to one of the other false notions floating around), you'll still get too many birdies. The so-called birdies will just be one higher in score.

There may be reasons for smaller baskets, but masking over the (now-diminishing) problem of setting par too high is not one of them.
I do think a birdie should be possible with a very good to great shot. If the hole is say 650 feet, mostly open, the pro field is going to get 50-60% birdies. But not one player will eagle it. Now if the basket lowers the birdie percentage to 40%, all of a sudden it's still an easy hole, but not a snooze fest. Some challenge is created by having a tougher basket. I just don't agree with a Par 2. It's a bad hole then. No birdies, most pars. Silly. I guess if it's 60 feet.

The primary objective of smaller baskets wouldn't be to "fix" par. But it would be a side effect and help.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 65
Niced 741 Times in 358 Posts

Maybe they should put a tree in that fairway. It’s cheaper than new baskets and would be big enough in 20-30 years.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-01-2020, 11:36 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 280 Times in 132 Posts

118 pages.

Which 650 ft par 3 has mostly birdies?

This whole thread is “my opinion” is all that matters. I feel like a moth to a flame. I can’t resist this ridiculous argument.

The vast majority of respondents seem to disagree on various points.

Yet one persists that this is a solution to a problem that is only an opinion.
Old 09-02-2020, 01:41 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.4
Courses Played: 150
Niced 586 Times in 242 Posts

Where does this thread rank in DGCR's worst ever list? It's been 118 pages of a real doozie.

Niced: (4)
Old 09-02-2020, 02:25 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 2
Niced 280 Times in 132 Posts

so, I figured it out. Smaller baskets are a half assed solution. The solution is OB islands (something of a links style course). Each hole has successively smaller OB islands leading to a tiny green. Why bother making the baskets smaller when you can make the green 10' in diameter?
Old 09-02-2020, 02:28 AM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 18.6
Courses Played: 41
Niced 1,221 Times in 610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
118 pages . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
. . . It's been 118 pages . . .
You should try the 40 post per page limit in the userCP. Only 30 pages for me

/drift

Old 09-02-2020, 08:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,542 Times in 879 Posts

Here's one for you long time PDGA dudes...

How different would the game be today if 40+ years ago instead of hitting trees, poles, baskets, etc, a 2ft diameter hole/cup with a flag pole in the middle was decided on? Everything about the game stays the same except now the velocity of the disc to hole out is a much greater factor, hell...the word finesse might even be used more often in disc golf. An ace or a far throw in would still be dramatic to see the disc coil around the hole and fall in. And if I'm not mistaken...putting just became as hard as ball golf if not harder.
Old 09-02-2020, 08:30 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 137 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
118 pages.

Which 650 ft par 3 has mostly birdies?

This whole thread is “my opinion” is all that matters. I feel like a moth to a flame. I can’t resist this ridiculous argument.

The vast majority of respondents seem to disagree on various points.

Yet one persists that this is a solution to a problem that is only an opinion.
Its a par 4 on the scorecard. Really the par doesn't matter. A bad hole is a bad hole and because putting is so easy, we have lots and lots of bad holes in disc golf!!!

Old 09-02-2020, 08:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 92
Niced 2,520 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
Its a par 4 on the scorecard. Really the par doesn't matter. A bad hole is a bad hole and because putting is so easy, we have lots and lots of bad holes in disc golf!!!
Opinions. Not facts.

If that were true why do I constantly see people playing casual rounds at my local course? Why do I have constant attendance at my leagues? Why do people keep showing up to my tournaments I run? Must be because of all the bad holes.

In fact, if that's true why are you still playing? Do you actually play dg?

Niced: (1)