Old 09-02-2020, 08:52 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 146 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
Opinions. Not facts.

If that were true why do I constantly see people playing casual rounds at my local course? Why do I have constant attendance at my leagues? Why do people keep showing up to my tournaments I run? Must be because of all the bad holes.

In fact, if that's true why are you still playing? Do you actually play dg?
Sure it is my opinion, but I see bad holes on nearly every course. Most of the time it's either too easy or ridiculous with trees everywhere/no fairway, basket next to artificial OB, etc.

In order to make disc golf difficult enough I see many courses with 3 foot wide "fairways" or simply the land is open and it's too easy. Either way I see both ends of the spectrum very often.

If the basket was more challenging it could remedy both of these problems. The holes in the open could be a little tougher, while the course designer wouldn't be afraid to cut down a tree or two to create a fair line through the woods.

I guess that is basically what it comes down to.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2020, 09:02 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,313 Times in 652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
In order to make disc golf difficult enough I see many courses with 3 foot wide "fairways" or simply the land is open and it's too easy. Either way I see both ends of the spectrum very often.
Where do you play that you see all these fairways that are unfair, 3ft fairways? I've never played one. Not saying they don't exist. I know they do. But they are the exception. I've seen 2 holes on coverage that I remember saying, wow, there's no line. Just because trees exist, doesn't mean there isn't a fair line. If you aren't good enough to hit that line, maybe you should focus some practice on that. Because obviously you don't need to practice putting. That parts easy.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by jakebake91; 09-02-2020 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:14 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 146 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
Where do you play that you see all these fairways that are unfair, 3ft fairways? I've never played one. Not saying they don't exist. I know they do. But they are the exception. I've seen 2 holes on coverage that I remember saying, wow, there's no line. Just because trees exist, doesn't mean there isn't a fair line. If you aren't good enough to hit that line, maybe you should focus some practice on that. Because obviously you don't need to practice putting. That parts easy.
I think the last two weeks I saw many bad holes on youtube coverage. Did you watch the coverage at Pittsburgh? I would say I saw multiple holes that had 3 foot gaps, or just a wall of trees. I'm not even necessarily blaming course designers, it's the baskets fault for being so large. Which again an open area is too easy, then on the other end we have the tricks used to make it difficult. It's very difficult to create fair and challenging holes. For instance the last hole at Moraine. That looked like a great hole. So sure, many holes are great too but I see many bad holes too.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:33 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 7
Niced 1,313 Times in 652 Posts

Quote:
I think the last two weeks I saw many bad holes on youtube coverage. Did you watch the coverage at Pittsburgh? I would say I saw multiple holes that had 3 foot gaps, or just a wall of trees. I'm not even necessarily blaming course designers, it's the baskets fault for being so large. Which again an open area is too easy, then on the other end we have the tricks used to make it difficult. It's very difficult to create fair and challenging holes. For instance the last hole at Moraine. That looked like a great hole. So sure, many holes are great too but I see many bad holes too.
Maybe we are looking at different things. Which is fine. I'll concede I haven't yet watched the coverage of Pittsburgh. And maybe that one course is just poorly designed. I don't think smaller baskets are the answer there though either. I'm positive no course designer has ever taken into account basket size when choosing (if they even have a choice) to take out trees. Switch that hole to Marksman size, and the trees stay. I guarantee it.

So, to understand, your dream hole is a hole with a 15' wide fairway, totally hazard/obstruction free, and ends with a smaller than normal basket at the end? And all holes in existence should be this way?
Old 09-02-2020, 09:52 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 2
Niced 169 Times in 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
You must not play or help with disc golf. Where do you think my club is going to come up with 4,000 dollars and 40 volunteer man hours.....TO REMOVE CHAINS. Players would revolt. The only LESS thought out idea than old man's, is yours to remove chains, lol. This is why nobody is responding to your posts.

I am not going to make a 20 bullet point list of problems for this idea, as well.
I have never asked anyone to reply to my posts.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:55 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
And where will that money and volunteer time come from?

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...postcount=1094

It's going to take A LOT more than just 4-5 hours. Someone is going to have to raise the money somehow. Go to the parks, petition for money from the budget, solicit sponsors, etc. Then place the order for materials. Coordinate delivery of the materials at the course. Coordinate volunteers. Answer questions from bitchy dg'ers who don't like the change...etc. etc. etc.
That's per course. 5-6 guys should be able to get it done in an hour. If you have 10 courses to do, you should have quite a few people around to help and the means to raise that money pretty easily.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,161 Times in 1,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
That's per course. 5-6 guys should be able to get it done in an hour. If you have 10 courses to do, you should have quite a few people around to help and the means to raise that money pretty easily.
Maybe your club has a model for volunteer procurement and money raising that you would like to share. I know many here spend countless hours giving back to their local disc golf communities. Proven suggestions on how to improve these two very tough issues would be great.

Perhaps you could expound on your simple solution above to include the forgone cost of the labor and money?
Old 09-02-2020, 10:33 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Maybe your club has a model for volunteer procurement and money raising that you would like to share. I know many here spend countless hours giving back to their local disc golf communities. Proven suggestions on how to improve these two very tough issues would be great.

Perhaps you could expound on your simple solution above to include the forgone cost of the labor and money?
You can't get 4 guys per course to do work for an 2 hours?

Between leagues and a special fundraiser you shouldn't have too much of an issue raising $500. We get crap participation in these type of things and we still pull it off. How did you get your tee signs, pads, baskets, kiosks, etc. to start with?
Old 09-02-2020, 10:33 AM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46.4
Courses Played: 426
Niced 2,224 Times in 1,068 Posts

Quote:
Its a par 4 on the scorecard.
So make it a par 3 in the scorecard.

Quote:
Really the par doesn't matter.
So there is no reason not to make it a par 3 in the scorecard.

Also, if par doesn't matter the number of birdies or bogeys doesn't matter.

My point is that in deciding whether to make baskets smaller the "side effect" of reducing the number of birdies is inconsequential. It either doesn't matter or it can and will happen without smaller baskets.

Niced: (1)

Old 09-02-2020, 11:02 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Niced 323 Times in 157 Posts

Quote:
Its a par 4 on the scorecard. Really the par doesn't matter. A bad hole is a bad hole and because putting is so easy, we have lots and lots of bad holes in disc golf!!!
So your answer is that it doesn’t exist BUT IF IT DID, it would be fixed with a smaller basket.

Niced: (1)