Old 09-02-2020, 01:37 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 133 Times in 95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
You keep using one percentage as if all putts are made from there. That is not the case. Putts are made from every distance out to extreme jump-putt range. The ideal would be that 50% of all putts were made. (That would give us the most effective test of putting skill, statistically speaking.)

Without knowing the distribution of ranges from which putts are attempted (and the success rates at each distance), we cannot know whether we are above or below that ideal.

I could just as easily (and nonsensically) say that almost 90% of putts are missed from 100 feet, so any number of misses lower than 90% would be better, therefore we need larger baskets.
Depends what a putt is? I could classify inside 33 feet as a putt. Anything outside that is a throw/jump putt. What is the difference really between a jump putt and throw? Not much.

If you go with that then the top pro's are over 90% of all putts made. By your criteria that is way too much.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2020, 01:46 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 18.6
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,221 Times in 610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
When my course gets completed there will be large baskets for the beginner course, regular baskets for the medium course, and Chainless baskets for the long course. All players will tee from the same pads play the medium course.
FTFY

Old 09-02-2020, 01:47 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46.4
Courses Played: 426
Niced 2,211 Times in 1,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
Depends what a putt is? I could classify inside 33 feet as a putt. Anything outside that is a throw/jump putt. What is the difference really between a jump putt and throw? Not much.

If you go with that then the top pro's are over 90% of all putts made. By your criteria that is way too much.
A putt is when if the disc didn't go in the basket, it was a failure.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-02-2020, 01:55 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
A putt is when if the disc didn't go in the basket, it was a failure.
So 500 feet? I could argue a true putt is 33 feet or less. You cannot at that point jump putt and extend beyond your lie.
Old 09-02-2020, 03:35 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 36.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 165 Times in 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I have a meeting next Wed. I will run this by our league board and membership. I will report back on the feedback to taking the chains off the baskets on all 198 holes we help support. Of course, we don't own these courses, so permission from the couple other area clubs would be crucial. How do you think this will go. :w all:
Since there isn't even a prototype yet, I would guess it wouldn't go too swimmingly. perhaps you would ask them instead, if once a prototype is ready would they be willing to try it out for a while. I am sure some of courses have multiple pin positions so you could install and not have much of an effect on players who only want to play regular chains.
Old 09-02-2020, 04:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,484 Times in 690 Posts

Quote:
I have a meeting next Wed. I will run this by our league board and membership. I will report back on the feedback to taking the chains off the baskets on all 198 holes we help support. Of course, we don't own these courses, so permission from the couple other area clubs would be crucial. How do you think this will go. :w all:

Or approaching a Parks Department, telling them that you're going to take the chains off of their baskets because putting is too easy.

Hilarious.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-02-2020, 04:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,484 Times in 690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
Since there isn't even a prototype yet, I would guess it wouldn't go too swimmingly. perhaps you would ask them instead, if once a prototype is ready would they be willing to try it out for a while. I am sure some of courses have multiple pin positions so you could install and not have much of an effect on players who only want to play regular chains.

Wait, didn't you suggest just taking the chains off of existing baskets?

Now you're talking about prototypes?

You guys should keep notes.

Old 09-02-2020, 04:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,063 Times in 1,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
Wait, didn't you suggest just taking the chains off of existing baskets?

Now you're talking about prototypes?

You guys should keep notes.
This thread is so filled with outrageous contradictions, it is pathetic. Every single statement made has a contradiction a few pages later. I don't think he is capable of even understanding the discussion. I think that is why he is so closed minded. For a while I thought old man was just a troll. I now think he is not a disc golfer at all, and is sick. I mean an honest mental illness.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-02-2020, 05:00 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
This thread is so filled with outrageous contradictions, it is pathetic. Every single statement made has a contradiction a few pages later. I don't think he is capable of even understanding the discussion. I think that is why he is so closed minded. For a while I thought old man was just a troll. I now think he is not a disc golfer at all, and is sick. I mean an honest mental illness.
"When a debate is lost slander becomes the tool of the loser" -Socrates

Old 09-02-2020, 05:18 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 18.6
Courses Played: 41
Niced 1,221 Times in 610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
"When a debate is lost slander becomes the tool of the loser" -Socrates

Great quote, sure, but you're so far off. Funny you didn't respond to my overstable/understable quote in a separate thread after denying anything but the word "stable" should be used.

Socrates liked children by the way.