Old 09-03-2020, 10:25 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,262 Times in 630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
There is a stark difference between cutting a few trees for a "fair"way versus nearly none at all too. I see the nearly none at all more often. Again a fairway doesn't have to be wide, 6 feet is enough. That's not much. Not all courses are like this but many are, or have some bad holes. I think the Houck courses are great, along with Ironhill. Maybe a tree or two could be out of place but not much. Others not so good.
We are in agreement there. However, I was just pointing out that, a lot of times, the landowner didn't hire the designer.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2020, 01:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,486 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
Closed minded? You are the ones who comes and give all the various poor reasons this can't and shouldn't happen.

FYI

I have the land

I have the money

Just trying to actually decide if i like the game and fellow competitors enough to actually go forward with it. If my only experience was chatting with the folks here it would be a definite NO. Even people i thought were ok, have turned themselves into jerks on this thread. That is the real problem with disc golf to tell you the truth.

"Yeah guys, I'm building a course where I will test my theories and prove that they're true, but none of you will be welcome to play it."

The DGCR version of taking your ball home.

Old 09-03-2020, 01:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Niced 1,262 Times in 630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
"Yeah guys, I'm building a course where I will test my theories and prove that they're true, but none of you will be welcome to play it."

The DGCR version of taking your ball home.
This makes me chuckle. Is he going to interview all the people who want to play his course to see if they have been on here? Guy doesn't know me from Adam. I'm going to pick up Dave on my way thru too lol. Nobody would ever know....

Old 09-03-2020, 02:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 92
Niced 2,520 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
This makes me chuckle. Is he going to interview all the people who want to play his course to see if they have been on here? Guy doesn't know me from Adam. I'm going to pick up Dave on my way thru too lol. Nobody would ever know....
Woohoo!!! Roady!!!!

Niced: (1)
Old 09-03-2020, 04:57 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 418 Times in 224 Posts

Quote:
That's per course. 5-6 guys should be able to get it done in an hour. If you have 10 courses to do, you should have quite a few people around to help and the means to raise that money pretty easily.
O. M. G!!!!!! This had me laughing soo hard, I peed a little. I'm not involved in my local club (I should be, though) but even I know that this statement is the epitome of ignorance. Have you ever tried to organize a fundraiser? Ever try to convince 60 people to give up their free-time for FREE?!!

Niced: (3)
Old 09-03-2020, 05:27 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 238 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
I like to think, can you drive a small car along the path to the basket, it's a fairway. If you get stopped by a tree in the middle, it's not.
First, I'm a 619 rated player...not very good....but PLEASE don't make fairways all big enough to drive a small car along! That would be boring, even I could hit that fairway 100% (or close to it).

I play some tough courses with trees/bushes in the way...you just have to go around them.

I've hit lots of trees, but it isn't due to bad design. It's just due to my bad form.

The nice thing about disc golf courses....there are all kinds of different layouts. If you don't like a tree course, find a course that is more open. If you don't like throwing over water, there's most likely a course that doesn't have ponds/rivers/lakes.

We can each find and play courses that work for us.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-03-2020, 05:38 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 238 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
That's per course. 5-6 guys should be able to get it done in an hour. If you have 10 courses to do, you should have quite a few people around to help and the means to raise that money pretty easily.
Do you mean 5-6 people and an hour to put in an entire disc golf course (tee pads, baskets, signs)-or did I misunderstand what you are talking about doing?

If I'm right and you meant putting in a full disc golf course....read on....

The club I am part of HAS put in disc golf courses....in fact, we just finished a new one. 18 holes, wood framed tee pads with mats, and baskets (set into the ground). 10 people took all day - 5:30 AM to 5 PM (okay, not all day, but longer than one hour). And that didn't complete everything....signage hasn't been done and a couple of tee pads were done another day.

If you are talking about putting in a temporary course, just dropping mats for tee pads, movable baskets....then okay, it's close, but we do that at one of our courses where the tee pads already exist. Just carrying the baskets to their location takes about an hour - and that is with more than 5-6 people.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:25 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 137 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
First, I'm a 619 rated player...not very good....but PLEASE don't make fairways all big enough to drive a small car along! That would be boring, even I could hit that fairway 100% (or close to it).

I play some tough courses with trees/bushes in the way...you just have to go around them.

I've hit lots of trees, but it isn't due to bad design. It's just due to my bad form.

The nice thing about disc golf courses....there are all kinds of different layouts. If you don't like a tree course, find a course that is more open. If you don't like throwing over water, there's most likely a course that doesn't have ponds/rivers/lakes.

We can each find and play courses that work for us.
Do you know how wide 6 feet is? Yet you say you can hit the fairway? Sorry dude, I'll say you can't. I play with guys who are 920 rated and can't half the time. Cmon man quit the nonsense.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:41 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46.4
Courses Played: 426
Niced 2,213 Times in 1,059 Posts

Quote:
Do you know how wide 6 feet is? Yet you say you can hit the fairway? Sorry dude, I'll say you can't. I play with guys who are 920 rated and can't half the time. Cmon man quit the nonsense.
Here is what happened on a tunnel 12 feet wide.

http://www.stevewestdiscgolf.com/CorridorAccuracy.pdf

Old 09-03-2020, 10:38 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46.4
Courses Played: 426
Niced 2,213 Times in 1,059 Posts

If it were a single gap, then we need to know how far from the tee the gap is.

A 6 foot gap 100 feet from the tee requires the throw to be within 1.7 degrees of center. Hitting that angle is 97.1% luck for 1000-rated players.

Attached Images
File Type: png GapLuck.png (26.3 KB, 84 views)