Old 04-14-2021, 08:33 AM

Niced 14 Times in 11 Posts

You should still keep a loose arm in OLD. And you can still pump the swing on one leg.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 04-14-2021, 08:50 AM

Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts

Could you elaborate on the 'pump the swing on one leg'?
Old 04-14-2021, 08:55 AM

Well to paraphrase SW22. It's like puming a swing set, on the way down you pump the swing with your body to accelerate it.

Niced: (3)
Old 04-14-2021, 09:09 AM
Par Member

Niced 235 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlan View Post
Could you elaborate on the 'pump the swing on one leg'?
Do this but on one leg (at about 12:23):

You need to create a bit of tension which is released when you push against the ground.
Easiest way to feel this is to:
Stand up straight on the front leg only. Use the toe of the back foot for balance. Reach back about as far as you can with your hips and shoulders. Feel the torque. Now squat your front leg a bit and let your hips bend, butt back for balance.
You should be able to reach back further when you do.
Keep feeling the tension through your body. Now stand up straight again (slow and steady like a push, not a kick) on your front leg again. You should feel your body wanting to unwind forward towards target. That is the push you want. When you've found that feel try it a bit more relaxed and accelerate the push. Don't try to be fast. Focus on balance.

Last edited by navel; 04-14-2021 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:37 AM

https://youtu.be/XLEtTbELsec

Niced: (1)
Old 05-17-2021, 11:04 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 49 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_evns View Post
If you feel as if you're "pulling" it's wrong. The arm should be shooting forward into the power pocket, not being dragged into it. It's a lack of effort for a moment, made possible by the effort put in before it happens with your lower body.

It should almost feel as if your arm is whipping straight out to the right. The reality is, your body will rotate once your hips have hit their full range of motion and your shoulder angle will compress closer to 90 degrees (most pros are very close to 90 degrees).

When you think about the throw in this way, as a series of movements to get your arm to whip forward, your brain starts to automatically understand what it needs to do to make it happen. It's a more reliable "swing thought" that really allows you to focus on the throw as a single motion.

It also is frustratingly simple once you've cracked it.
So this is something I still struggle with mightily! I just can not for the life of me figure out the arm part of this whole equation and would love to get back into discussing it with people much more knowledgeable and better than I am. I also am still working on other parts of the swing, but this year, I'm going to just try and work on one problem at a time, fix it, get it down well, THEN move on to another issue. Which I have many, haha. But since I last posted in my form thread (a LONG time ago, probably 2019), I have become more consistent in my throwing and slightly longer, more balanced, etc. But still have not "figured" the throw out. So....

The first thing out of this entire post that caught my eye and I DON'T understand still is this part: If you feel as if you're "pulling" it's wrong. The arm should be shooting forward into the power pocket, not being dragged into it.

I almost always feel as if I'm pulling the disc at any given point no matter how slow I go or fast I go. My arm does NOT ever feel like it's just being pulled into the power pocket by my body or the kinetic sequence, and I truly do not understand HOW I'm supposed to do this, and how it works? So my question here is HOW exactly does the disc get to the power pocket? What parts of my body or the swing are getting it there, how should it feel to get it there, and what is the reality of getting it there?

Then once it's there, what should be happening? From what little I understand, it seems as if ONCE the disc is in the pocket, your bodies momentum and weight shift forward, along with the opening of the torso and shoulders will then just RIP the disc out of your hand? Because the elbow is now out in front of the body (but with closed or squared shoulders), the lower arm and disc have nowhere to go except to lever out. And the shoulders and torso opening at this moment in the timing impart a tremendous force on the lower arm and disc, leveraging it out, and making it feel heavy and like it's almost impossible to hold onto. According to HUB.

But I don't understand how to get here. I've ALWAYS struggled with not understanind HOW to get the disc into the pocket in the proper way, to allow the "physics experiment of levers" to sling the disc out.
Old 05-17-2021, 11:45 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 199 Times in 137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWookie View Post
Then once it's there, what should be happening? From what little I understand, it seems as if ONCE the disc is in the pocket, your bodies momentum and weight shift forward, along with the opening of the torso and shoulders will then just RIP the disc out of your hand? Because the elbow is now out in front of the body (but with closed or squared shoulders), the lower arm and disc have nowhere to go except to lever out. And the shoulders and torso opening at this moment in the timing impart a tremendous force on the lower arm and disc, leveraging it out, and making it feel heavy and like it's almost impossible to hold onto. According to HUB.

But I don't understand how to get here. I've ALWAYS struggled with not understanind HOW to get the disc into the pocket in the proper way, to allow the "physics experiment of levers" to sling the disc out.
I'll take a whack at this as I return to form work/changes. Drk's rocking the hips thread really got me going along this path. I think you really just have to forget about your throwing arm, at the very least from the top of the backswing --> forward. If you're at the top of your backswing, shift your hips laterally forward (use HUB's cue: move your belt buckle targetward). If your throwing arm is passive and your only focus is shifting that hip forward, NOW look at your throwing arm and observe how it's so conveniently in the center chest/right pec/power zone.

Once you're there, I think that because you've built up forward momentum and got braced up on your front leg, you really have no choice other than to sling the disc outward.
Old 05-17-2021, 11:50 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 23 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
I’m chasing the dragon on this feeling. I think I have it but haven’t been in the field for a month to really work on it. When it’s happened in the past ii haven’t known what I did different from an ok throw but I’ve described here before it just feels like the arm is along for the ride and I could really feel the disc rip out
Ha, chasing the dragon indeed.

That lag is so elusive. I can force it by sort of yanking (open too early). But usually I fake it by using my arm muscles (and telling myself it's all part of the minimal arm "framing", keeping the disc at the right height, etc.). I find the idea of working around the disc great for consistency, but hard for keeping my arm loose (as you have to keep the disc in place). Whereas using the dingle-arm pendulum idea keeps the arm looser, but is hard to keep consistent. That's where I'm at, anyway.

What's so annoying is that I have on occasion done it correctly, but I couldn't isolate whatever it was I did right. Frustratingly simple? I wish.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:08 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 49 Times in 35 Posts

And another thing about the arm and getting the disc to the pocket I don't understand is the idea of using a Hammer or Baseball bat or something heavy like that to get the correct "feel". When doing the hammer throw for example with a normal framing hammer, are you supposed to just be moving it around to get a "feel" for how the disc should get heavy right when it's over your lead plant foot? Or are you also TRYING to throw the hammer far by executing a perfect throw using proper weight distribution, timing, brining it into the pocket and good balance? Like when you're doing hammer throws, are you trying to let the hammer come in to your right pec and then let your body sling it out? Or is it just a drill to get FEEL?

Old 05-17-2021, 03:34 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 817 Times in 296 Posts

I've been meaning to respond to you wookie. It's not exactly a one size fits all answer, which is why I think some of your questions are hard to answer.

1. you can increase the disc redirection by putting your arm into the position using muscle. This is not required and probably requires a degree of flexibility and it can get dangerous if you bottom out your elbow.

2. you can simply keep your hand on the outside of the disc while allowing your elbow to bend to varying degrees. The important part is to keep your hand on the outside of the disc until the disc is "about at center chest". Everybody has a spot where they can max out leverage on the disc.

3. The thing that ultimately works the best at accelerating the disc is having some sort of un-curling whipping motion based at either A. Your trailing shoulder (like GG) or B. You lead shoulder like Ezra. When a whip is curling (downswing) it's important that you don't lose a link in the chain by introducing a motion or a stiff muscle. Your primary goal is to control the outside of the disc with the hand on the outside and control the momentum.

With a hammer drill, the hammer weight gives you some insight on where your ability to resist really needs to be. It clearly weighs a bunch more, so it doesn't exactly match up on how you would throw a disc in all situations - but it's a great tool - just like using a towel can work.

For me, the way that best works for feeling is the following.

1. I have to feel that the extension of the disc forward is based at my back shoulder.
2. I have to feel that the extension of the disc forward is happening with my plant foot solidly braced on my instep and heel.
3. If my off arm is loose, I'm probably throwing weak shot. It needs to be behind my back hip or fist tight and pulled right up against my left hips.

I literally cannot think about where the disc is, where my hand is or anything else... I pre-swing from plant foot, feel it really and truly engage with the ground. I pre-push out my plant leg so that I can feel the pressure of my lead hip coming backwards.

Then I say "short stride" and my last thought is that I want the back of the whip to be my trailing shoulder.

Nothing is trying to open or spin, everything that happens should be a byproduct of the lateral move keeping that hand on the outside.