Old 05-19-2021, 09:17 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 433 Times in 196 Posts

Pick a spot in the distance directly to your right. Pretend your arm is literally a whip and try to “whip” your target with the tip of your whip (fingertips).

Do it without thinking about how you should do it.

Pay attention to how your arm is seemingly moving forward without being “active.” Notice how the lower body is how you get it moving.

The opposite would be like trying to punch. All muscle, no lower body required.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 05-19-2021, 10:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 749 Times in 428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocraDeez View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In terms of human physiology, many uses of the hammer involve coordinated ballistic movements under intense muscular forces which must be planned in advance at the neuromuscular level, as they occur too rapidly for conscious adjustment in flight. For this reason, accurate striking at speed requires more practice than a tapping movement to the same target area. It has been suggested that the cognitive demands for pre-planning, sequencing and accurate timing associated with the related ballistic movements of throwing, clubbing, and hammering precipitated aspects of brain evolution in early hominids.

Old 05-19-2021, 10:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 245
Niced 5,612 Times in 3,314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_evns View Post
The opposite would be like trying to punch. All muscle, no lower body required.
Disagree with this. More like throwing a jab.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-19-2021, 11:56 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 284 Times in 183 Posts

Another analogy; it’s almost like casting a fishing rod... but sideways...

Also another analogy- like turning a key, but you’re using your body to power your arm during / into the key turn release at the hit.

Old 05-20-2021, 12:40 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 6
Niced 936 Times in 480 Posts

Its also like putting - which some people call a push, while Dave D insists its a pull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Think more inverted basketball free throw or granny shot, you wouldn't ever start with the elbow extended or wait to full extension to spring the wrist. The elbow extends and slows to spring the wrist just like driving. I would start with your stance more staggered left/right instead of being so inline. Your rear foot is moving all around in the backswing instead of being a single point of leverage.

I putt on hyzer although the angle is largely irrelevant inside the circle a la Ken Climo's phone book. I'm just putting the weight/ed end of the disc to the apex of the line going through the chains on the way down. After I address the target with the arm/disc, I let it hang/dingle arm straight down and just feel the weight of it and waggle and then sling it. The arm naturally pronates coming into center and supinates to neutral when it's whipped away from center and depending on how hard the whip, the hand may snap back into pronation. The centrifugal force on the disc from the grip and whip also snaps the disc flattish. I'm not trying to pronate or supinate, just springing the weight to the target.

You can see Simon's hand is shaking with the pole right after release and then snaps palm down. Mine does the same sometimes although I tend to finish higher/high five which would be palm down with the arm horizontal...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlYYZFJmtLI#t=1m20s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhiLUjMMyUY#t=3m

Old 05-20-2021, 01:25 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 116
Niced 144 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_evns View Post
Notice how the lower body is how you get it moving.
How does the lower body get the system moving?

When you use your arms to swing a heavy object about your core, the body naturally uses the ground to brace & keep from toppling over, or resist the weight of the object as it extends past the COG on either side. The body anticipates the forward movement by opposing it; the heavier the object, the greater the brace. From this, the mind learns the confusing lesson that to oppose can be to accelerate, or that the arm-disc unit pops forward because the foot-ground unit pushes back (courtesy of some complex intermediary blood'n'bones architecture).

The free-floating arm feeling is most likely the product of such a properly leveraged* from-the-ground-up swing system, in which the weightless feeling of the arm-disc unit moving forward is counter-balanced by the weighted feeling of the lead foot-ground unit pushing back.

*The adjective form of the Latinate origin of the word "Lever" was used to mean both "not heavy" & "able to be raised".

When you walk forward, there is a brief moment when the heel of the lead foot lands & pushes back as the trail foot pushes forward from the toes. This also happens in the disc golf swing, though the ground pressure here should more so run diagonally from back toe/heel to front toe/heel in the sit 'n squeeze position.

When you plant to initiate the forward swing, it can be helpful to really focus on the feeling of pushing with the front toe against the ground & backwards diagonally into the already-everted rear foot. The arm-disc unit should irresistibly sling forward.

Last edited by SocraDeez; 05-20-2021 at 01:28 AM.
Old 05-20-2021, 04:44 AM
Par Member

Niced 235 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parbequeue View Post
Another analogy; its almost like casting a fishing rod... but sideways...

Also another analogy- like turning a key, but youre using your body to power your arm during / into the key turn release at the hit.
I have never understood the key turn analogy. Care to elaborate?
Old 05-20-2021, 08:41 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 6
Niced 936 Times in 480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by navel View Post
I have never understood the key turn analogy. Care to elaborate?

Im pretty sure its this thumb push during the out motion to rotate flat. If the disc was a key, it feels like you are turning the key when you rotate flat here. Someone correct me if Im wrong please

Old 05-20-2021, 10:50 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 284 Times in 183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azplaya25 View Post
Im pretty sure its this thumb push during the out motion to rotate flat. If the disc was a key, it feels like you are turning the key when you rotate flat here. Someone correct me if Im wrong please

Yep this is exactly what I was referring to. (Not really about the free floating arm moment tho, sorry to de-rail!)

Old 05-20-2021, 12:45 PM
Par Member

Niced 235 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azplaya25 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parbequeue View Post
Yep this is exactly what I was referring to. (Not really about the free floating arm moment tho, sorry to de-rail!)
The key turning motion still doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I've been turning my keys wrong all my life? I can see the connection and all, but I'm unable to feel it.

I think unsheathing a sword is a better analogy, with the whole motion of the swing out towards the target.

COWABUNGA!