#21  
Old 06-08-2021, 01:45 PM
Aces Galore Aces Galore is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2021
Courses Played: 19
Posts: 15
Niced 14 Times in 7 Posts
Default

I think the keys to success, for me at least, in a tourney is to stay away from OB. Don't give strokes away. Don't try and be a hero, if in rough, just pitch out the best you can into the fairway. Lastly, make the putts you should make. For me that is 20 feet or closer.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-08-2021, 03:40 PM
ray1970's Avatar
ray1970 ray1970 is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,080
Niced 758 Times in 423 Posts
Default

While Iíll be playing the courses blind, I have looked at the course maps for the tournament. Oddly enough I am feeling more confident about picking up my birdies on the par 4 and 5 holes than I am on the majority of the par 3ís. It seems to majority of the par 3ís are going to be just out of my range off the tee leaving me with a short approach and a putt. Distance wise, I think I can get to a lot of the par 4 and 5ís for birdie looks. Obviously I am only looking at the distance and havenít played the course so my optimism might be squashed once I see the type of shots I have to throw to get there.

There also isnít a lot of OB so as long as I can avoid putting myself in any bad positions I donít feel like OB is going to factor in.

This should be a decent challenge for me as I believe the courses are playing as a par 64 and a 67 and the majority of the courses that I play usually are just par 54 courses.

They should have tee times posted tomorrow evening. Supposed to be a pretty warm weekend here and I think Iíll be playing in the hottest part of the day so not necessarily going to be accustomed to that just yet.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-08-2021, 03:56 PM
brutalbrutus's Avatar
brutalbrutus brutalbrutus is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the nati
Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 12,469
Niced 6,615 Times in 3,389 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
While I’ll be playing the courses blind, I have looked at the course maps for the tournament. Oddly enough I am feeling more confident about picking up my birdies on the par 4 and 5 holes than I am on the majority of the par 3’s. It seems to majority of the par 3’s are going to be just out of my range off the tee leaving me with a short approach and a putt. Distance wise, I think I can get to a lot of the par 4 and 5’s for birdie looks. Obviously I am only looking at the distance and haven’t played the course so my optimism might be squashed once I see the type of shots I have to throw to get there.

There also isn’t a lot of OB so as long as I can avoid putting myself in any bad positions I don’t feel like OB is going to factor in.

This should be a decent challenge for me as I believe the courses are playing as a par 64 and a 67 and the majority of the courses that I play usually are just par 54 courses.

They should have tee times posted tomorrow evening. Supposed to be a pretty warm weekend here and I think I’ll be playing in the hottest part of the day so not necessarily going to be accustomed to that just yet.
Tip for surviving hot day tourneys... the night before, rink or pour out about a 1/4 to a 1/3 of a bottle of water and then freeze the rest. In the morning before you leave, top it off with water and by a hole or two into the round, it should have melted enough to get a couple nice drinks of ice cold water. Also, whether you just drink water while on the course, or do sports' drinks, you can drink whatever is melted and then pour more into it.

Having a barely above freezing drink on a hot day always helped me out and this way, you'll have ice enough to do it for the whole round.

Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-08-2021, 04:09 PM
Puckstopper's Avatar
Puckstopper Puckstopper is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Michigander at heart...
Years Playing: 20.1
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,413
Niced 70 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Tip for surviving hot day tourneys... the night before, rink or pour out about a 1/4 to a 1/3 of a bottle of water and then freeze the rest. In the morning before you leave, top it off with water and by a hole or two into the round, it should have melted enough to get a couple nice drinks of ice cold water. Also, whether you just drink water while on the course, or do sports' drinks, you can drink whatever is melted and then pour more into it.

Having a barely above freezing drink on a hot day always helped me out and this way, you'll have ice enough to do it for the whole round.
That's not just a good tourney tip, that's solid advise all summer long. I carry several partially filled, frozen bottles in my cooler on multi-course road trips in the summer and they're life savers. Cool drinks on the course and if there are leftovers I can ice my sore old-man knees on the ride home. That's another good tip BTW, always do the FIRST leg of the drive if you're splitting it up with someone!

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-08-2021, 04:11 PM
brutalbrutus's Avatar
brutalbrutus brutalbrutus is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the nati
Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 12,469
Niced 6,615 Times in 3,389 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstopper View Post
That's not just a good tourney tip, that's solid advise all summer long. I carry several partially filled, frozen bottles in my cooler on multi-course road trips in the summer and they're life savers. Cool drinks on the course and if there are leftovers I can ice my sore old-man knees on the ride home. That's another good tip BTW, always do the FIRST leg of the drive if you're splitting it up with someone!
I always liked pouring a bit of the water on my head before i started using the Gatorade. Ice cold water on a hot sweaty head/face is nice... though some people get headaches from it, i never had a problem.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-08-2021, 04:38 PM
Horsman's Avatar
Horsman Horsman is offline
Pandamonium Discs
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 183
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,811
Niced 1,464 Times in 609 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
While Iíll be playing the courses blind, I have looked at the course maps for the tournament. Oddly enough I am feeling more confident about picking up my birdies on the par 4 and 5 holes than I am on the majority of the par 3ís. It seems to majority of the par 3ís are going to be just out of my range off the tee leaving me with a short approach and a putt. Distance wise, I think I can get to a lot of the par 4 and 5ís for birdie looks. Obviously I am only looking at the distance and havenít played the course so my optimism might be squashed once I see the type of shots I have to throw to get there.

There also isnít a lot of OB so as long as I can avoid putting myself in any bad positions I donít feel like OB is going to factor in.

This should be a decent challenge for me as I believe the courses are playing as a par 64 and a 67 and the majority of the courses that I play usually are just par 54 courses.

They should have tee times posted tomorrow evening. Supposed to be a pretty warm weekend here and I think Iíll be playing in the hottest part of the day so not necessarily going to be accustomed to that just yet.
See if you can find a video walkthrough of the course on youtube. I have a tournament this weekend and didnt think I would be able to get to the course ahead of time to at least play it once before the event. So I got lucky and found a video of the course on youtube and have watched it everyday at work on repeat for at least a month now. I was able to get to the course ahead of time to practice and I can say that the game plan I had in my head for the course was about 90% correct. Definitely a useful tool.

Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-08-2021, 05:00 PM
autocrosscrx autocrosscrx is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,139
Niced 1,229 Times in 560 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
I always liked pouring a bit of the water on my head before i started using the Gatorade. Ice cold water on a hot sweaty head/face is nice... though some people get headaches from it, i never had a problem.
Yeah, that gives me a pounding headache almost instantly. I also don't have much of a tolerance for drinking ice cold water in the hot, either.

Fortunately, my body seems to handle heat really well.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-08-2021, 05:52 PM
ray1970's Avatar
ray1970 ray1970 is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,080
Niced 758 Times in 423 Posts
Default

Thanks for all of the hot weather tips.

Just looked at the forecast and it seems round one is going to be the coolest day of the week with the high hitting about 82. Got lucky there. Supposed to be 91 for round 2 and 95 for the final round.

Donít feel too sorry for me though. Even at 95 with the humidity likely around 30% or less it wonít be totally unbearable.

Going to bear the weight of two full 32 ounce bottles of water and it sounds like theyíll have some water coolers on site if I need to top them off along the way.

Iím taking an umbrella so if there are backups on some of the holes Iíll have some shade.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-08-2021, 05:54 PM
ray1970's Avatar
ray1970 ray1970 is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,080
Niced 758 Times in 423 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
I also don't have much of a tolerance for drinking ice cold water in the hot, either.
Iím with you on that one. I canít drink water if itís too cold. I much prefer it kind of room temperature-ish.
Reply With Quote
 

  #30  
Old 06-08-2021, 06:02 PM
txmxer txmxer is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Texas
Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,228
Niced 1,035 Times in 513 Posts
Default

A stool is a nice extra. Several very portable options unless you are using a cart, then may not need it.

I used to do a lot of endurance cycling. I sweat a lot and get cramps from dehydration. I have found pickle juice to be better than Gatorade for me personally.

Not to be a negative, but your expectations seem quite high for a first tournament—and maybe you will kill it. It’s possible. But given you are playing blind, that’s a tough gig for anyone.

Regardless have fun and good luck.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Deep is Too Deep: A Putter Question LastPageDG Technique & Strategy 25 08-01-2015 08:00 AM
Players jumping holes patdb23 General Disc Golf Chat 53 08-21-2012 12:04 AM
Drivers jumping mid flight tampabay Technique & Strategy 25 12-30-2011 10:05 AM
jumping ship dan mc General Disc Golf Chat 19 11-06-2011 10:08 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.