Old 06-09-2021, 01:28 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 34
Niced 766 Times in 262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Trees grow over time. Where there once might have been a line, now the ol' crash and drop is the play. It happens.
...and if your disc is stuck 50 feet in the air it's not your fault.

Awful. Simply awful. You are off the Christmas card list this year.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2021, 01:39 PM
Par Member

Niced 129 Times in 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post

Or your disc cuts through the branches and ends up 200 feet deep. No sir, not my disc golf ........ Sometime I get the feeling folks here say stuff hypothetically outta boredom, lol.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 31.3
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 4,196 Times in 1,285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post

Old 06-09-2021, 01:50 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 537 Times in 261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
I am short on the number of courses played, but I still don't believe that the holes you are referring were designed to play through the foliage of the trees. if so, then pure luck is part of the design factor, so no one should be upset if that luck is bad and results in a penalty. I still believe though the intended line is under around or over such said foliage.
Have you watched any of the Master Cup coverage?
Old 06-09-2021, 01:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.1
Courses Played: 127
Niced 7,084 Times in 2,631 Posts

I've only played one hole in my life, where the advantage was to crash into the tree and drop (i.e., use the tree as a brake). A few where it was advantageous to go over the top and crash down through the trees -- but with trees that would catch discs so rarely that a 2-meter penalty wouldn't dissuade anyone from trying.

I'm told there are places, with different trees and course designs, where this is more common. But it's not around here.

At any rate, this is an old and rather settled debate. The thread went dormant 9 years ago, and the penalty was made optional before that. People who've always used the rule, stand by it. People who've never used the rule -- which may be most disc golfers, at this point -- don't seem to be clamoring for it. Meanwhile, among the players with experience both ways, those of us who played when it was universal, and played when it was optional and virtually abandoned in our areas, have sampled it both ways and don't seem inclined to go back.

Old 06-09-2021, 02:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,229 Times in 560 Posts

There are a couple of holes where I crash into trees by design, but it is because I don't have the power to throw around them over a hazard. I already feel like I'm taking a penalty on those holes because luck determines if I have a look at the pin to get up and down or if I'm pitching out/up and playing for bogey.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-09-2021, 02:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.2
Courses Played: 253
Niced 6,709 Times in 2,298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Trees grow over time. Where there once might have been a line, now the ol' crash and drop is the play. It happens.
Look, this is from the cool pics thread, today.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...ictureid=39465
Old 06-09-2021, 02:35 PM
Tiny White Balls

Years Playing: 37.6
Courses Played: 8
Niced 282 Times in 186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I've only played one hole in my life, where the advantage was to crash into the tree and drop (i.e., use the tree as a brake). A few where it was advantageous to go over the top and crash down through the trees -- but with trees that would catch discs so rarely that a 2-meter penalty wouldn't dissuade anyone from trying.

I'm told there are places, with different trees and course designs, where this is more common. But it's not around here.

At any rate, this is an old and rather settled debate. The thread went dormant 9 years ago, and the penalty was made optional before that. People who've always used the rule, stand by it. People who've never used the rule -- which may be most disc golfers, at this point -- don't seem to be clamoring for it. Meanwhile, among the players with experience both ways, those of us who played when it was universal, and played when it was optional and virtually abandoned in our areas, have sampled it both ways and don't seem inclined to go back.
Comes back to that whole participation trophy attitude which is prevalent in the game. It is a turnoff for people who are athletically gifted and competitive. Which is why only a dozen or so guys have any chance of winning on tour and only a handful of women. Too much of being bred soft which turns potential eventual winners into soy boys over time imo.
Old 06-09-2021, 02:45 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 34
Niced 766 Times in 262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
There are a couple of holes where I crash into trees by design, but it is because I don't have the power to throw around them over a hazard. I already feel like I'm taking a penalty on those holes because luck determines if I have a look at the pin to get up and down or if I'm pitching out/up and playing for bogey.
"Luck". You've manufactured a situation with a variable that may or may not work out in your favor.

Old 06-09-2021, 02:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 31.3
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 4,196 Times in 1,285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
Comes back to that whole participation trophy attitude which is prevalent in the game. It is a turnoff for people who are athletically gifted and competitive. Which is why only a dozen or so guys have any chance of winning on tour and only a handful of women. Too much of being bred soft which turns potential eventual winners into soy boys over time imo.