Old 06-11-2021, 10:36 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.1
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 799 Times in 471 Posts

Remind me- how does disc golf make the throwing motion so complicated? Probably just the lightweight object. A ball or club or bat is easier to feel the lag and brace. How do you feel lag with a wiffle ball? Because you’ve thrown a baseball. Could be more psychological than physiological.
Sponsored Links

Old 06-11-2021, 10:53 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 211 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
Remind me- how does disc golf make the throwing motion so complicated? Probably just the lightweight object. A ball or club or bat is easier to feel the lag and brace. How do you feel lag with a wiffle ball? Because youve thrown a baseball. Could be more psychological than physiological.
Retrospectively it seems mostly psychological, but...

Try doing a back-hand with your non-dominant hand, if you haven't practiced that ever before. To me that feels like a clunky blank slate of movement that I need to learn from the ground up again. I think the dominant-hand disc golf back-hand has some of that genre of muscle-memory ignorance built in too.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-11-2021, 11:36 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 433 Times in 196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
Remind me- how does disc golf make the throwing motion so complicated? Probably just the lightweight object. A ball or club or bat is easier to feel the lag and brace. How do you feel lag with a wiffle ball? Because youve thrown a baseball. Could be more psychological than physiological.
The lightw eight definitely tricks your brain into thinking it doesn't need the big muscles to move it. That's a big part.

Another problem with disc golf specifically is that it's also backwards from most other common sports. For example, a right-handed golfer is doing a left-handed backhand with a disc.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-11-2021, 11:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.1
Courses Played: 13
Niced 799 Times in 471 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingBoats View Post
Retrospectively it seems mostly psychological, but...

Try doing a back-hand with your non-dominant hand, if you haven't practiced that ever before. To me that feels like a clunky blank slate of movement that I need to learn from the ground up again. I think the dominant-hand disc golf back-hand has some of that genre of muscle-memory ignorance built in too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_evns View Post
The lightw eight definitely tricks your brain into thinking it doesn't need the big muscles to move it. That's a big part.

Another problem with disc golf specifically is that it's also backwards from most other common sports. For example, a right-handed golfer is doing a left-handed backhand with a disc.
Muscle memory does play a big factor - good points.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:28 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 33
Niced 817 Times in 296 Posts

If you try throwing a rock with your opposite hand, you realize how non-coordinated every aspect of the supply chain is... it's ineffective too the extreme. Which makes sense from an evolutionary biology stand point - we want to be as effective as needed to be successful. Being dexterous with one hand is all you really need, back up system is available, but way under-gunned.

Old 06-11-2021, 02:31 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 211 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyzerUniBomber View Post
If you try throwing a rock with your opposite hand, you realize how non-coordinated every aspect of the supply chain is... it's ineffective too the extreme. Which makes sense from an evolutionary biology stand point - we want to be as effective as needed to be successful. Being dexterous with one hand is all you really need, back up system is available, but way under-gunned.
Yep, this is what I meant basically. But the back-hand is reversed with how one uses the full chain, compared to just throwing a ball/rock with your dominant hand.

So, we have some coordination built into the hand/arm that is throwing a disc, but a full detachment from the underlying mechanical chain of events...so it kind of makes sense why it is hard to learn a back-hand, at least to me.

Old 06-16-2021, 01:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 6
Niced 936 Times in 480 Posts

Wanted to post this in here because this drill has helped me more than anything Ive tried. Ive spent over a year trying to shift correctly and stop rotating into the plant. I havent posted in my form thread in months because I can look at the film, see that Im still shifting wrong, then trot back out to the field the next day and try something else. Ive tried pretending I was playing hockey, tennis, baseball, etc, still rotating into the plant. Couple weeks ago I started doing this in my office:

This motion should feel easy and natural, and nothing Ive tried has helped me shift correctly better than this move.

Old 06-16-2021, 02:35 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 23 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azplaya25 View Post

This motion should feel easy and natural, and nothing Ive tried has helped me shift correctly better than this move.
I agree it's nice to get that shift feeling, but I'm not sure about reinforcing that arm timing with it. Isn't the arm/hammer is supposed to lag behind the shift (elephant walk)?

Or maybe I'm way off base here. But my current biggest struggle is with my arm being too early (well, I have several competing struggles, but this is a big one), so I'm trying to find ways to both reinforce lag and get the shift on auto-pilot.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:39 PM

Niced 11 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddball View Post
I agree it's nice to get that shift feeling, but I'm not sure about reinforcing that arm timing with it. Isn't the arm/hammer is supposed to lag behind the shift (elephant walk)?

Or maybe I'm way off base here. But my current biggest struggle is with my arm being too early (well, I have several competing struggles, but this is a big one), so I'm trying to find ways to both reinforce lag and get the shift on auto-pilot.
Yeah. I was about to comment the same thing. Timing the arm is so hard. Going early is a problem, but lagging too much collapses the arm into the chest. I wish there was a quick way of getting that timing locked in.

Old 06-16-2021, 04:12 PM

Niced 21 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azplaya25 View Post
Wanted to post this in here because this drill has helped me more than anything Ive tried. Ive spent over a year trying to shift correctly and stop rotating into the plant. I havent posted in my form thread in months because I can look at the film, see that Im still shifting wrong, then trot back out to the field the next day and try something else. Ive tried pretending I was playing hockey, tennis, baseball, etc, still rotating into the plant. Couple weeks ago I started doing this in my office:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddball View Post

For this drill the hammer is used to exaggerate the feeling of your center of gravity instead of the feeling of the weight of the disc. Feel the weight of your CoG + the weight of the hammer as you fall into the plant and shift your weight. Maybe do a few of these to feel the CoG and then delay the swing, fully plant, then swing a la elephant walk.

I've been doing this drill recently as well. I focus on engaging my glutes and then feeling my tailbone move laterally back and forth. Find the motion where your hips naturally swivel/rock further away from the target as you move your tailbone targetward. You can't force it or turn back early; your hips will only respond to this naturally if your CoG is leveraged forward, i.e. hips ahead of knee ahead of foot. This works for the Hershyzer as well.