Old 03-04-2014, 12:30 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 62
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Tournament help - new to playing

Been playing for over a year and I'd like to try out a tournament. My local course, Rocklin DGC, I am pretty familiar with. Best personal round is -2. How do tournaments work? What category would I fall in? How do I start? Any help would be great.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2014, 12:34 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fntsygamr View Post
Been playing for over a year and I'd like to try out a tournament. My local course, Rocklin DGC, I am pretty familiar with. Best personal round is -2. How do tournaments work? What category would I fall in? How do I start? Any help would be great.
You could host a Vibram Birdie Bash. They're held in the spring. More information: vibramdiscgolf.com
Old 03-04-2014, 01:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 707 Times in 342 Posts

Your best bet would be to find a local tournament player to talk with, since tournaments tend to be as much fun as the people who play them.

If you don't know anyone, then:

1) go to the PDGA site and download a copy of the Rules of Disc Golf, and read through it;
2) play some new courses following the PDGA rules to the letter;
3) get an account on Disc Golf Scene and look through the events in your area;
4) pick an event, enter in the Rec division (or if no Rec, then Intermediate) and do your best.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:59 AM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 350
Niced 6,886 Times in 2,813 Posts

What teemkey said, but this
Quote:
Originally Posted by teemkey View Post
...tournaments tend to be as much fun as the people who play them.
is worth repeating.

May I also suggest just talking to some of the more active locals on the courses you play, see what they say. You might want to try playing a few rounds with a local league (if one's available and convenient for you), to get a feel for playing in an organized setting. That will help you get a pretty good feel of what division you really belong in. Chances are a bunch of league players will be pretty plugged into the local tournament scene. Might even be the same club that runs the league hosts tournaments as well.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:23 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 43
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I would recomend becoming familiar with the PDGA rules and playing a few casual rounds in accodance with how they are played (IE league rounds) before you jump into a sanctioned event. Reviewing the rules is important but they are best understood by example. As others have said I would hook up for some rounds with the active local players to get a feel for tourney play. Casual play for me still adhears to tourney rules in terms of lie/legal-shots/score with most of my disc frnds
Old 03-04-2014, 08:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.1
Courses Played: 127
Niced 7,106 Times in 2,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
May I also suggest just talking to some of the more active locals on the courses you play, see what they say. You might want to try playing a few rounds with a local league (if one's available and convenient for you), to get a feel for playing in an organized setting. That will help you get a pretty good feel of what division you really belong in. Chances are a bunch of league players will be pretty plugged into the local tournament scene. Might even be the same club that runs the league hosts tournaments as well.
What he said. Local league play is an excellent intermediate step towards tournaments.

Beyond that, just sign up for the local tournament. There are a lot of threads on tournaments, first tournaments, what to expect---but I always recommend you tell people that you're playing your first tournament, and they're overwhelmingly likely to help you through the intricacies and procedures.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 152
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,986 Times in 1,643 Posts

According to the DGCR page for your local course, there are two weekly leagues: Sundays and Wednesdays. I'll echo the recommendations above and say to check out one of those. They both appear to be run by the local club, which will kill two birds with one stone for you. You get a taste of some competitive play and you can introduce yourself to (or even join) the local club.

Club members, particularly the ones organizing the leagues, can be a great resource for new players. They can point you in the right direction in terms of picking the appropriate division, where to find out about local tournaments, and even offer you playing tips if you're interested.

Also, can't recommend enough taking a look at the rule book and getting familiar with it. The sooner you understand some of the basics in the book, the sooner you can break yourself of any bad habits that you might have picked up not knowing they were bad habits that might be against the rules.

Good luck and remember the name of the game is having fun.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:39 AM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 752
Niced 952 Times in 401 Posts

Or you could be like me...and never play a league and just jump right in (first tourney 3/29). Play Rec and have fun.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:40 AM
* Ace No More *

Courses Played: 350
Niced 6,886 Times in 2,813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Also, can't recommend enough taking a look at the rule book and getting familiar with it. The sooner you understand some of the basics in the book, the sooner you can break yourself of any bad habits that you might have picked up not knowing they were bad habits that might be against the rules.

Good luck and remember the name of the game is having fun.
More excellent advice - many players (rightfully so) get a lot more fastidious about enforcing rules in tourneys that they might be inclined to let slide in casual, and sometimes even league rounds.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 89
Niced 20 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
...Play Rec and have fun.
^^^ This.