Old 04-15-2021, 02:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 593
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,731 Times in 1,257 Posts
Default wolfhaley goes west finally, sort of

So I'm thinking about a trip out to Billings MT in mid September to play Diamond X. I've basically only ever been east or south of WI. I'd like to play some mountain/prairie golf finally. I'd work my way back through South Dakota and plan on bagging as many top rated ones that I can there, and get a few in WY and ND as well. Thoughts, concerns and ideas welcome. Here's my initial plan.

Day 1: Drive to Bismarck ND, maybe stop to play a nine or 2 in MN or ND. Most likely just get to Bismarck.

Day 2: Drive to Billings MT.
Play General Sibley Park before leaving Bismarck.
Then Patterson Lake DGC in Dickinson ND
Thirdly, play Makoshina State Park in Glendive MT

Day 3/4: Diamond X. If anybody wants to show me around this one It'd be much appreciated. Looks confusing but gorgeous. Might stay between Glendive and Billings in case Makoshika and or Diamond X isn't in the cards for one day or the other. These are must plays.

Day 5: to Rapid City SD via Gillette WY.

Hardin Community Park-Hardin, MT
Dalbey Memorial Park-Gillette WY
Energy Rotary Club DGC-Gillette WY

Day 6/7: Rapid City vicinity

Spearfish Canyon-Spearfish, SD
Black Hills State University-Spearfish, SD
Sturgis DGC-Sturgis, SD
Jackson Park DGC-Rapid City, SD
Pagaent Hill-Custer, SD
Lacroix DGC-Rapid City, SD

Day 8: To Sioux Falls, SD

Powerhouse Alley-Pierre, SD
Steamboat-Pierre, SD
Presho DGC-Presho, SD
Dry Run Creek DGC-Mitchell, SD

Day 9: To somewhere in MN at least, Rochester maybe, not sure.

Tuthill Park-Sioux Falls, SD
Big Sioux Rec. Area-Brandon, SD
Pioneer Park-Brandon, SD
Adrian DGC-Adrian, MN

Day 10: wherever I end up staying in MN to home.

Any tips, insight or whatever you got is welcomed
Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2021, 08:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.2
Courses Played: 253
Niced 6,768 Times in 2,322 Posts

Course bagging aside. Glacier National Park is one of the most spectacular places I have been on this earth.

Old 04-15-2021, 12:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 1437
Niced 1,479 Times in 451 Posts

I could be a stop on your last night if you wanted, I'd be an hour farther than Rochester - I maintain an air-bnb, so I have 2 nice rooms available. Could also throw around here if you want. When are you thinking?

Niced: (1)
Old 04-15-2021, 12:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dewgarita View Post
I could be a stop on your last night if you wanted, I'd be an hour farther than Rochester - I maintain an air-bnb, so I have 2 nice rooms available. Could also throw around here if you want. When are you thinking?
This would be midish September. I don't have the days nailed down yet. That would be a great last stop. I'll let you know for sure when I have the days. 👍
Old 04-15-2021, 12:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 1437
Niced 1,479 Times in 451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhaley View Post
This would be midish September. I don't have the days nailed down yet. That would be a great last stop. I'll let you know for sure when I have the days. 👍
I'll be leaving mid September sometime - currently slated for the St. Louis Open Sept, 17. Probably won't be back until beginning of Oct or so. If you're here before that, great, if not, I'll catch you next time, and the house could still be an option for lodging if you need.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dewgarita View Post
I'll be leaving mid September sometime - currently slated for the St. Louis Open Sept, 17. Probably won't be back until beginning of Oct or so. If you're here before that, great, if not, I'll catch you next time, and the house could still be an option for lodging if you need.
It would probably be right after you leave then. I'll have to catch you next time I'm over that way. Appreciate the offer though.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.9
Courses Played: 488
Niced 459 Times in 192 Posts

I have a week long fishing trip in September but if this lines up I’d be more than happy to Sherpa you around Diamond X. I could also offer some advice on your course choices coming across ND. Shoot me a pm when you get a chance

Niced: (2)
Old 04-15-2021, 03:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 183
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,404 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhaley View Post
Day 3/4: Diamond X. If anybody wants to show me around this one It'd be much appreciated. Looks confusing but gorgeous. Might stay between Glendive and Billings in case Makoshika and or Diamond X isn't in the cards for one day or the other. These are must plays.
Let me know what day(s) you are targeting for Diamond X. I'm happy to guide folks around when I can get away from work and family.

Looks like a real solid trip you've got planned. One humble suggestion: think about Jamestown Reservoir DGC in ND (would fit into your Day 1). It's a beat down of a course...but I assume that's ok, based on what's already on the list! If you play the Reservoir but skip General Sibley in Bismarck, that's a good trade, in my opinion.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-15-2021, 04:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.9
Courses Played: 488
Niced 459 Times in 192 Posts

Yeah, agree with ThrowBot re: replacing Sibley with another option...Iwen in Fargo, Reservoir in Jamestown, or Sunset in Mandan would be my suggestions, depending on how you want to split your drive and stops. And he’s as good of a Diamond X guide as youll find.

Old 04-15-2021, 04:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
Let me know what day(s) you are targeting for Diamond X. I'm happy to guide folks around when I can get away from work and family.

Looks like a real solid trip you've got planned. One humble suggestion: think about Jamestown Reservoir DGC in ND (would fit into your Day 1). It's a beat down of a course...but I assume that's ok, based on what's already on the list! If you play the Reservoir but skip General Sibley in Bismarck, that's a good trade, in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentjacobs View Post
Yeah, agree with ThrowBot re: replacing Sibley with another option...Iwen in Fargo, Reservoir in Jamestown, or Sunset in Mandan would be my suggestions, depending on how you want to split your drive and stops. And he’s as good of a Diamond X guide as youll find.
I was actually hoping either of you 2 would respond. That's why I threw it out there. It'll be September 13th or 14th.

And as far as the suggestions I actually played Jamestown and everything in Fargo last year. Loved that Jamestown course. I think I did worse at Iwen somehow lol. But both excellent courses. That's why I was starting the bagging in Bismarck.