Old 04-17-2017, 12:16 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 44.3
Courses Played: 320
Niced 1,007 Times in 529 Posts

Jonesboro Open 2017 Hole Analysis.
The size of the bubbles in the first chart shows how much impact each hole had on spreading out the total scores of all the players (Contribution). All holes had a positive impact. Hole 13 was the weakest, and hole 2 did the most work.
The horizontal axis is the width of the scoring spread, and the vertical axis shows how well a hole sorted out the scores by skill.
We can see that the cause of hole 13’s weak showing was that it gave out less than 2 different scores, and it gave them out in a mostly random fashion, better than only 72% of all possible ways of sorting. (50% would be completely random).
Hole 2 gave out a respectable 2.84 different scores, and gave them out in a way that was better than 96% of all possible arrangements.

Because there were four rounds, we can also measure how well a hole treated players consistently from round to round.
A completely consistent hole would give out an average of 1.68 different scores to each player over four rounds. (More than one, because most player’s expected score on a hole would fall in between two integer scores.)
A hole that gave out scores entirely at random from round to round would give out an average of 2.54 different scores.
In the chart below, the vertical axis is consistency, the horizontal is scoring spread across all players, and the size of the bubble shows the average score.

Holes 3 and 13 are more consistent than should be possible. This is a result of giving out scores across a range narrower than a full throw. In this case, they gave out too many 3s.
When a hole gives out more scores to all players, it is not as easy for that hole to be consistent. Holes 2 and 18 stand out as being more consistent (to each player) than you would expect or holes with such wide scoring spreads (across all players).
Holes 6 and 8 are perhaps less consistent than they should be, compared to other holes on the course.

Here are some x-rays of selected holes.

Attached Images
File Type: png SSWCont.png (47.0 KB, 313 views)
File Type: png SSWCons.png (59.7 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg Holes020613.jpg (89.5 KB, 315 views)
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 04-18-2017, 12:33 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 151 Times in 106 Posts

Best looking course of the tour to date!
Old 04-18-2017, 01:09 AM

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Smooth View Post
Best looking course of the tour to date!
Wow,thought just the opposite!tournament sponsored by a mower company and players were constantly in shin high grass,our could even argue that players didn't even play the same course after leaving the Tee on each hole,,No Defined holes whatsoever,throw it a mile and get back with me when we get by the basket,,see ya then lol,Texas States had by far the Best course played this year and probably , All year,,,was good to see Pros being challenged by a course with No previous years experience to rely on
Old 04-18-2017, 02:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.7
Courses Played: 2
Niced 952 Times in 574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
Wow,thought just the opposite!tournament sponsored by a mower company and players were constantly in shin high grass,our could even argue that players didn't even play the same course after leaving the Tee on each hole,,No Defined holes whatsoever,throw it a mile and get back with me when we get by the basket,,see ya then lol,Texas States had by far the Best course played this year and probably , All year,,,was good to see Pros being challenged by a course with No previous years experience to rely on
Actually, while I see your point, I thought I saw some interesting holes. Typically when our holes get out over 400 feet, they're wide open. This course still had fairways and feature on those holes. What's more, those features were applicable to the hole length. Perhaps not perfect, but interesting imo.

Texas States was an amazing setting, thanks Jeremy and Baytown. I'm not comparing the two, just pointing out that Jonesboro struck me as unique in some good ways.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-18-2017, 11:08 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 126
Niced 50 Times in 19 Posts

It's interesting that to cash you had to shoot 1000 rated golf. (MPO)

Was this by design?

I don't play many tournaments but usually spend a lot of effort trying to make last cash in my division so it's always interesting to see what the grown-ups have to shoot to get cash.

It's amazing how big of a deal it is even when you're playing for small amounts -- getting paid is fun and not getting paid stinks. I wonder if the "last cash" was more interesting than Ricky's victory lap . . .. just saying -- that's fun to watch/be a part of.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
It's interesting that to cash you had to shoot 1000 rated golf. (MPO)

Was this by design?

I don't play many tournaments but usually spend a lot of effort trying to make last cash in my division so it's always interesting to see what the grown-ups have to shoot to get cash.

It's amazing how big of a deal it is even when you're playing for small amounts -- getting paid is fun and not getting paid stinks. I wonder if the "last cash" was more interesting than Ricky's victory lap . . .. just saying -- that's fun to watch/be a part of.
I doubt it. The PDGA has a payout rule that determines how deep it goes. It just happened that there were enough 1000 rated players, who all performed up to task, that the payout didn't go below.

On the other hand, I'd not count on payout going below 1000 as a regular thing one way or the other. The number of 1000 or higher rated players increases week to week.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 135 Times in 91 Posts

As an older guy, I was seriously impressed with John E. McCray: so smooth, such great form, and so awesome in his approach game.

The Jomez video for this tournament would be great publucity to attract older guys to the sport.

Met a 57 year old guy the other day playing his 3rd round. He was doing great for an older guy cutting his teeth, and it was all because of watching youtube vids.

Not sure what he watched, but John E at the Jonesboro would inspire any 40+ year old guy.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 586 Times in 284 Posts

Our sport definitely doesn't do enough to sell itself to the 45-65 crowd.

Lifetime sport, physical activity, access to friendly competition, etc.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:20 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 105
Niced 185 Times in 80 Posts

I began playing at 47 ten years ago. JEM turns me off more than inspiring me.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSyl View Post
I began playing at 47 ten years ago. JEM turns me off more than inspiring me.
Same. But the other old guys like Barry, Ken etc. do. John carries too much baggage.