Old 10-01-2017, 01:28 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 20 Times in 8 Posts
Default Scheduling of Worlds-Why? Why? Why?

I have only been following DG pro events for a couple of years, but I have to question the scheduling of PDGA Worlds. This year, they had it in Georgia in June. Seriously? As a young man, I went through Army Parachute School in Georgia in June, and as a northerner for much of my life, I wouldn't want to spend time there again in June. Miserably hot and sticky. Now, I see that Worlds next year is scheduled at Smuggs in Vermont in September. I lived in that area for many years, and the weather in Vermont in September can be glorious. But......it becomes really, um, changeable in September. There is a good chance of having beautiful, sunny, crisp, low humidity days, but there is also a good chance of of steady rain for five days straight. June, on the other hand, is dependably nice in Vermont. As is July and August.

September in Georgia and June in Vermont would clearly be the better choices. Does anyone know the logic that the PDGA uses picking the venues and the dates?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2017, 01:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23
Courses Played: 124
Niced 1,315 Times in 655 Posts

Submissions by the hosts, I suspect, has a lot to do with it.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,338 Times in 580 Posts

The logic of choosing the venue is pretty simple. They pick the best option out of those that apply to host it.

As for the dates...that depends on the venue. For example, next year's Worlds being in September is 100% due to the same reason the annual A-tier/DGPT event at the venue is held in September: so it can be combined with the resort's annual Fall Fest. It's possible that any other week/weekend during the summer conflicts with other events or obligations at the venue.

This year's Worlds may have been in June because that's when the courses were available or that's when it worked best for the primary organizers of the hosting bid. I would have made no sense to do it in July if the bidding TD was unavailable then, or if one of the courses/parks was booked for a different event at that time. Or, it could be as simple as the IDGC was hosting not just Worlds but also the HOF Classic, and they wanted to spread those two out as far as possible so as to not overwhelm the staff that is involved with both.

Speaking of that, something that often gets overlooked is that the PDGA staff is heavily involved with the running of Worlds. There's the prep leading up to the event, but at least half the staff also attends the event to provide support. In 2018, there will be FOUR separate Worlds events for those folks to attend. The events have to be spread apart by 3-4 weeks each just to allow for the PDGA staff to transition from one to the next without too much overlap or burning out (not to mention they have homes and families they probably like to spend time at/with).

This year, it was June, July, and August. Next year, it's early July, late July, August, and September. I don't foresee that changing all that much in future years. The first event might be in June again and the last might be in September again. It will come down to venue/staff availability and how things fit together in the larger schedule, but I expect it will still have the same 3-4 week spread between events.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:03 PM
* Ace Member *

My guess is that the thinking on this year's Worlds being in June was, in part, that June in Georgia is not has hot as July or August. I might be wrong, but as best I recall it wasn't terribly hot.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:07 PM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 364
Niced 451 Times in 222 Posts

Don't they typically attempt to schedule high level events so touring pros have the shortest possible transits between events?
Old 10-01-2017, 07:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.5
Courses Played: 2
Niced 793 Times in 486 Posts

I can't see why someone in Vermont, who knows the weather there, would apply for worlds during crappy weather season? Texas States does this though. April or there abouts. After that the heat is a killer. Decisions decisions.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,338 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
I can't see why someone in Vermont, who knows the weather there, would apply for worlds during crappy weather season? Texas States does this though. April or there abouts. After that the heat is a killer. Decisions decisions.
It's not crappy weather season in September in Vermont. It's beautiful weather season in September in Vermont (IMO).

Yes, on average, it is one of the wetter months of the year but guess what? July and August are wetter. Frankly, if the chances of rain are about the same, I'd take average high temps in the 60s and 70s (with cooler evenings) over 80s and 90s (and warm evenings), especially when you add in the foliage starting to turn in September. Beautiful time to be in Vermont.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
Don't they typically attempt to schedule high level events so touring pros have the shortest possible transits between events?
Not necessarily typically. It's only in the past 2 years or so that they've really got the tour making some geographical sense.

But I don't think that applies to Worlds, anyway. More like, the rest of the scheduled pieced around Worlds.

The PDGA sets standards, opens it up for bids, and various localities bid to host. Or, more often, don't. The PDGA has to work with what the hosts can do. They don't have the power to simply make Worlds happen in the time and place of their choosing.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:29 AM
.:Discraft Pro Michael Johansen:.

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 162
Niced 387 Times in 93 Posts

I know the answer to this

Old 10-02-2017, 06:57 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 123
Niced 44 Times in 15 Posts