#271  
Old 06-20-2018, 12:49 PM
hurricaine hurricaine is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MICHIGAN
Posts: 77
Niced 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
Look, I get the appeal of one mold that flies differently off the shelf. It sounds like the producers of this disc are committed to fostering a consistent way to track flight similarities what with the run #s and the spreadsheet and all. But unless they have figured out how to manipulate the molding variables and are willing to consistently release discs that cover the spectrum, bagging Alphas sounds like a headache akin to tracking down one's favorite run of Destroyer. No thanks!
I have a star plastic looking purple one i bought earlier on. My buddy has a TI looking silver one with an edgy stamp. Cannot believe the difference in flight. Mine flies like a little more stable FD. his is like a teebird OS. couldnt believe it. only other power fairway ive seen in the wild.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #272  
Old 06-20-2018, 01:17 PM
Alexplz's Avatar
Alexplz Alexplz is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 851
Niced 201 Times in 139 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaine View Post
I have a star plastic looking purple one i bought earlier on. My buddy has a TI looking silver one with an edgy stamp. Cannot believe the difference in flight. Mine flies like a little more stable FD. his is like a teebird OS. couldnt believe it. only other power fairway ive seen in the wild.
And that's actually totally cool. It just seems like this thread is full of people frustrated they can't nail down and locate an Alpha that flies like they want, or that flies like that one magical Alpha they lost. Consistent availability would be key here. I get that being a boutique manufacturer means maybe they don't have complete control over production (from MVP, yes??) but they had better get it figured out.

On the other hand, maybe this is secretly exactly what they wanted; creating a Destroyer-like cult around a disc that drives people to sort of put certain runs on a pedestal. This way they can say "oh this upcoming run of yellow eternals, man, they are slated to fly just like that one run you fell in love with" and squeeze some extra cash out of the scarcity.
Reply With Quote
  #273  
Old 06-20-2018, 01:43 PM
hurricaine hurricaine is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MICHIGAN
Posts: 77
Niced 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
And that's actually totally cool. It just seems like this thread is full of people frustrated they can't nail down and locate an Alpha that flies like they want, or that flies like that one magical Alpha they lost. Consistent availability would be key here. I get that being a boutique manufacturer means maybe they don't have complete control over production (from MVP, yes??) but they had better get it figured out.

On the other hand, maybe this is secretly exactly what they wanted; creating a Destroyer-like cult around a disc that drives people to sort of put certain runs on a pedestal. This way they can say "oh this upcoming run of yellow eternals, man, they are slated to fly just like that one run you fell in love with" and squeeze some extra cash out of the scarcity.
I love the purple one that i have if anyone knows what run it is.
Reply With Quote
  #274  
Old 06-20-2018, 02:12 PM
swhite swhite is online now
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: central Mass
Posts: 556
Niced 405 Times in 205 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaine View Post
I love the purple one that i have if anyone knows what run it is.

If you look on the stamp, you will see #AP-AL02-17. This means it is an Apex plastic Alpha from production run #02 which was in 2017.


I like the purple ones too.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #275  
Old 06-21-2018, 09:02 AM
Alzyurpalz's Avatar
Alzyurpalz Alzyurpalz is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Northfield,NH
Posts: 61
Niced 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
And that's actually totally cool. It just seems like this thread is full of people frustrated they can't nail down and locate an Alpha that flies like they want, or that flies like that one magical Alpha they lost. Consistent availability would be key here. I get that being a boutique manufacturer means maybe they don't have complete control over production (from MVP, yes??) but they had better get it figured out.
This. As much as I love my Alphas, I'm starting to realize that A. third run Eternals are never coming out, B. it's never going to be an easy disc to get even in the secondary market, and C. the ones you do find people want like $35 for.

My blue 2nd run Eternal flies like an absolute dream and I trust that disc so much, but i'm starting to get curious about other options like PDs, Vultures, etc because I don't want to be afraid to pull out my favorite driver for a risky shot because if I lose it then that's it.
Reply With Quote
  #276  
Old 06-25-2018, 08:24 PM
Owensjef Owensjef is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Dayton, OH
Courses Played: 10
Posts: 58
Niced 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Anyone tried to heat up a first run eternal and reduce the dome? Wondering if i can replicate my 2nd run eternal pearl.
Reply With Quote
  #277  
Old 06-26-2018, 02:18 PM
Owensjef Owensjef is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Dayton, OH
Courses Played: 10
Posts: 58
Niced 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Bad idea. It puddle topped it. Reheated and brought it back to normal. The search for more unicorns continues
Reply With Quote
  #278  
Old 06-26-2018, 02:58 PM
zj1002 zj1002 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Driving Range
Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,372
Niced 214 Times in 101 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alzyurpalz View Post
This. As much as I love my Alphas, I'm starting to realize that A. third run Eternals are never coming out, B. it's never going to be an easy disc to get even in the secondary market, and C. the ones you do find people want like $35 for.

My blue 2nd run Eternal flies like an absolute dream and I trust that disc so much, but i'm starting to get curious about other options like PDs, Vultures, etc because I don't want to be afraid to pull out my favorite driver for a risky shot because if I lose it then that's it.
I posted this on our MINT Facebook Fan Page yesterday.

Quote:
I think I can safely say all plastics of the Alpha will get restocked with a new run soon. No official ETA yet though. Maybe some other new stuff too 😜.

There's a variety of reasons it's taken so long to get the next round out. We should of projected higher volume last year. Really didn't expect it to be such a beloved disc. Can't thank everyone enough for believing in us!
To go into more detail, it just flat out sold significantly better than expected. There have been some production delays as well but normally the customer never hears about that stuff. It is just part of the game any company plays. If we had more molds available customers wouldn't know we were out of stock or having delays. When I worked at Disc Nation it was pretty common for the smaller brands to be continually out of stock on their top sellers. Its a good sign for us that the product/brand is good, but sucks when our customers can't get a readily available and affordable product. I like that our discs have a good secondary market value, but I also know that can turn off a lot of players. I don't collect discs, so you'd never catch me paying that much even for my own mold.

Having worked at DN for years, I had enough experience to know what we did in the first year is pretty rare for a 1-disc brand. I think we out sold entire brands at some stores with just 1 disc. We set our expectations too low and just didn't produce enough. As I posted on Facebook - Run 3 of Eternal and Apex are getting pretty close. Sublime will get a 4th run. Plus a new plastic for the Alpha and then we have other projects coming down the pipe in the next 6-12 months. Its not something we can rush unfortunately but we want to improve our turnaround times. Hope that helps fill people in on what MINT has been up to.

Reply With Quote
  #279  
Old 06-26-2018, 10:05 PM
Alzyurpalz's Avatar
Alzyurpalz Alzyurpalz is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Northfield,NH
Posts: 61
Niced 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj1002 View Post
I posted this on our MINT Facebook Fan Page yesterday.



To go into more detail, it just flat out sold significantly better than expected. There have been some production delays as well but normally the customer never hears about that stuff. It is just part of the game any company plays. If we had more molds available customers wouldn't know we were out of stock or having delays. When I worked at Disc Nation it was pretty common for the smaller brands to be continually out of stock on their top sellers. Its a good sign for us that the product/brand is good, but sucks when our customers can't get a readily available and affordable product. I like that our discs have a good secondary market value, but I also know that can turn off a lot of players. I don't collect discs, so you'd never catch me paying that much even for my own mold.

Having worked at DN for years, I had enough experience to know what we did in the first year is pretty rare for a 1-disc brand. I think we out sold entire brands at some stores with just 1 disc. We set our expectations too low and just didn't produce enough. As I posted on Facebook - Run 3 of Eternal and Apex are getting pretty close. Sublime will get a 4th run. Plus a new plastic for the Alpha and then we have other projects coming down the pipe in the next 6-12 months. Its not something we can rush unfortunately but we want to improve our turnaround times. Hope that helps fill people in on what MINT has been up to.
I really appreciate your response. You guys are really engaged to your customer base.

I'm really hoping for some more eternal Alphas that are the soft plastic and stable but not too much so. The 2nd run blue eternal is the bomb!
Reply With Quote
 

  #280  
Old 06-26-2018, 10:21 PM
swhite swhite is online now
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: central Mass
Posts: 556
Niced 405 Times in 205 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alzyurpalz View Post
I'm really hoping for some more eternal Alphas that are the soft plastic and stable but not too much so. The 2nd run blue eternal is the bomb!


I consider the 2nd run Eternal discs to be stiffer than the 1st run Eternals.


And, I consider the 2nd runs to be superior to the 1st runs in every way. They look better, and fly better. Just my opinion. Probably, lots of others agree with me, since some 1st run Eternals can still be gotten online, whereas the 2nd run Eternals sold out quickly.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.