Old 05-06-2016, 04:32 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Aviar Plastic

What is the best type of plastic to get the Aviar in? I'm curious to see which one I should buy... I want it to be more of a stiffer plastic... I'd like to get my hands on a McPro but I'm not paying $30 for one... So I'm curious to see what other people like for this!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2016, 04:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 177
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 137 Times in 85 Posts

I'm going to assume you mean the beadless Aviar P&A. DX tends to be middle of the road in stiffness.
For a cheap and readily available alternative I suggest going with the Soft Warlock. Virtually the same disc as the McPro Aviar and much cheaper.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 104
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 255 Times in 116 Posts

DX.

2nd best is KC Pro.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:50 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocthecourse View Post
DX.

2nd best is KC Pro.
Is the DX gonna get beat up quick though?? I would like it to last if Imma spend the money purchase one which is why I'm scared of the DX.... I'm new though so I'm just going off what I know, don't think of me as stupid lol
Old 05-06-2016, 04:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 16
Niced 154 Times in 107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdiv48 View Post
I'm going to assume you mean the beadless Aviar P&A. DX tends to be middle of the road in stiffness.
For a cheap and readily available alternative I suggest going with the Soft Warlock. Virtually the same disc as the McPro Aviar and much cheaper.
I tend to agree with this. At least give it a shot.

Otherwise you're stuck hunting mcpro. It's my understanding that they don't make pna aviar in a stiffer plastic other than mcpro. Kc pro aviar, my main putter, is a different disc than the mcpro. It is beaded. The warlock is the next closest thing to an aviar and you can find gateway soft plastic that is extremely durable and stiff as far as "baseline" goes.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 44
Niced 666 Times in 389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcpa View Post
What is the best type of plastic to get the Aviar in? I'm curious to see which one I should buy... I want it to be more of a stiffer plastic... I'd like to get my hands on a McPro but I'm not paying $30 for one... So I'm curious to see what other people like for this!
Yeah it depends on which model of Aviar you want. McPro Aviars are the Aviar P&A model (beadless). They are available in a lot of plastics (DX, XT, Champ, Star, etc.) so you've got plenty of choices there.

If you don't mind a bead, you can get either a KC Pro or a Yeti Pro Aviar, both of which will be a little stiffer and slower wearing than DX. KC Pro plastic is very similar to McPro while Yeti Pro is more similar to XT. They are both the big bead Aviar mold though, which is different than the Aviar P&A mold. The Yeti is a slightly puddle topped version which has a shallower feel in the hand because of the sunken top. The JK Aviar is also a big bead Aviar, but it is a softer, floppier plastic so you're probably not interested in one of those. The Aviar Driver is also a big bead Aviar but in Star/GStar Plastic.

Then there's the Millennium Omega, which I believe is the Aviar small bead mold (someone will correct me on this I'm sure). I'm not sure of the plastic stiffness on these though because I've never tried one. And there's the Aviar Classic mold (only available in DX) which is once again slightly different but I've never used one so I couldn't tell you in what ways.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 16
Niced 154 Times in 107 Posts

Good call on xt ^ forgot about that. Dunno how stiff it is though.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:03 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,065 Times in 1,539 Posts

Quote:
the McPro Aviar is the perfect answer... unfortunately they just aren't making them in production numbers.

Ergo, it's all a compromise with Innova and the Aviars. If you want the stiffness of KC Pro (next to McPro in stiffness, IMHO), you have to accept a bead.

if you don't want a bead, then I suggest the Champion Aviar P&A. Mine is pretty stiff relative to the softer plastics, and it's a decent putter... and won't beat in after one hit onto trees or chains.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 44
Niced 666 Times in 389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodachrome View Post
Good call on xt ^ forgot about that. Dunno how stiff it is though.
I haven't felt the XT Aviars. The XT Rocs and Whales were medium stiff. Definitely not as stiff as McPro/KC Pro. Similar to DX (but not the really stiff DX, just the normal stuff). Mainly, XT seems a bit tackier like Yeti Pro. I'm inclined to think Yeti Pro is slightly stiffer though. XT does have a tendency to warp if you throw it into trees much. I think it would be just fine for putting and upshots though because it doesn't dent/nick quite as easily as DX.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 50
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Is the DX gonna get beat up quick though?? I would like it to last if Imma spend the money purchase one which is why I'm scared of the DX.... I'm new though so I'm just going off what I know, don't think of me as stupid lol
DX is fine for putters. If you only putt with a DX aviar they will last forever. If you throw it It will break in faster but it's really not that bad. Its only the higher speed stuff that breaks in quickly in DX.

Do they still make the grid stamp classic aviars? Those are usually KC stiffness.