Old 08-16-2020, 07:41 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 168
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 65 Times in 26 Posts

Rastnav-
I didn’t read your review as a slap at any other reviewers. In fact, I liked it! You raise some good points. I gave Middle Creek a 3.0, while its average is 3.29. But there are certainly some safety issues which could come in to play there. I probably (incorrectly) glossed over some of those because I’ve generally played here at off-peak hours and didn’t have any issues. I think one issue you’re running in to here is just how often this course gets changed. I read that foot traffic here dramatically increased during the quarantine. I haven’t played there recently, so that may be one problem. Another problem is the number of holes that have undergone redesigns or are currently being changed. Your experience at the course from year to year or even month to month could be dramatically different than others. All that said, the point of reviewing is to rate the course based on *your* experience at the time. So you are well within your right to give the course a poor review if that was your experience. Keep on reviewing!
Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2020, 12:00 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 258 Times in 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenanFlagler01 View Post
Rastnav-
I didn’t read your review as a slap at any other reviewers. In fact, I liked it! You raise some good points. I gave Middle Creek a 3.0, while its average is 3.29. But there are certainly some safety issues which could come in to play there. I probably (incorrectly) glossed over some of those because I’ve generally played here at off-peak hours and didn’t have any issues. I think one issue you’re running in to here is just how often this course gets changed. I read that foot traffic here dramatically increased during the quarantine. I haven’t played there recently, so that may be one problem. Another problem is the number of holes that have undergone redesigns or are currently being changed. Your experience at the course from year to year or even month to month could be dramatically different than others. All that said, the point of reviewing is to rate the course based on *your* experience at the time. So you are well within your right to give the course a poor review if that was your experience. Keep on reviewing!
Thanks for the kind words. I try to do reviews when I have a different experience from others, the course hasn't had many reviews, or if the course seems to have changed from previous reviews. I expect that means that I'll frequently have a slightly different take from other reviews.

That said, I do try to keep in mind that my take is definitely going to be colored by my lack of experience, and if I see areas where my reviews might be off because of that, I don't want to misrepresent the course. I don't think that came through in the initial review enough, so I modified it slightly. In any case, thanks for the feedback, I truly appreciate it.

Old 08-16-2020, 11:58 PM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 175
Niced 2,610 Times in 1,206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastnav View Post
Thanks for the kind words. I try to do reviews when I have a different experience from others, the course hasn't had many reviews, or if the course seems to have changed from previous reviews. I expect that means that I'll frequently have a slightly different take from other reviews.

That said, I do try to keep in mind that my take is definitely going to be colored by my lack of experience, and if I see areas where my reviews might be off because of that, I don't want to misrepresent the course. I don't think that came through in the initial review enough, so I modified it slightly. In any case, thanks for the feedback, I truly appreciate it.
This is not directed at you specifically because I think a lot of people are in a similar boat but I think a new review of any course is always appreciated even if it's largely redundant just because it's giving a fresh timestamp. A traveling disc golfer could be wary of a course just because it hadn't had a review in a while and be wondering if it's still a similar course to the last people that reviewed it because storms/park development/etc can really change courses sometimes. Plus every reviewer sees a course through a different lens so it's still a different perspective.

Just wanted to say that for anybody reading that's on the fence about reviewing any courses.

Old 08-27-2020, 01:26 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 164
Niced 213 Times in 92 Posts

A temp course has been put up in Dorothea Dix Park in Raleigh, and will be available to play from now through September.

https://dixpark.org/pop-disc-golf-course

Beautiful park, and looks like a fun layout.

- - -

Also, a heads up that the fun temp course at Festival Park in High Point will available to play on Friday. This weekend, it will host the Oak Hollow Open tournament.

There’s a course preview on Dan Hastings’ YouTube channel, if you’re curious to see what it looks like this year -

Niced: (1)

Last edited by aredoubles; 08-27-2020 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Festival
Old 08-27-2020, 02:15 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 200
Niced 266 Times in 131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aredoubles View Post
A temp course has been put up in Dorothea Dix Park in Raleigh, and will be available to play from now through September.

- - -

NICE!! Thanks RDubs!!

I know a lot of people (me included) would love to see a permanent course there, but this Temp layout will have to do for now. I hope everyone is safe and courteous on the course, to show how respectful we can be!!

Old 08-27-2020, 03:53 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 43
Niced 19 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aredoubles View Post

Sweet! I'll be in Raleigh next month - I'll have to check this out.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:01 AM

Courses Played: 10
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

The Dix Temp course was really nice. I enjoyed how open it was as we don't get to see too much of that in this location. Does anyone have word on whether or not this will become a permanent thing?
Old 10-20-2020, 04:19 PM

Years Playing: 0.3
Courses Played: 13
Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmay5 View Post
Wellspring DGC at Cedarock Park in Burlington has reopened.
Check out this review from the original designer:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/revie...mode=rev#84730

To summarize: All the teepads, short and long, have been completely repoured, concrete 6X12s. Trimming of the fairways, tee areas and greens have cut back the summer growth.

So, along with Cedarock, the Figure 8 of 36 holes is open again.

There is also some great history of these courses and DG in the Burlington area, PLUS the carrot on the stick that there may soon be a 3rd permanent course at the park. If you play all three consecutively, would that be a snowman?

Thanks for all you have done Rob Nicks, Alamance P&R and others mentioned, and continue to do. You are all THEY!!
We did a recent day trip to these courses. We played Cedarock in the morning, got some lunch and then played Wellspring in the afternoon. I think we picked the correct order as Cedarock is long and open while Wellspring is short and tight. We'll definitely make this trip again in the future.

Old 10-20-2020, 04:20 PM

Years Playing: 0.3
Courses Played: 13
Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by strunk flugget View Post
The Dix Temp course was really nice. I enjoyed how open it was as we don't get to see too much of that in this location. Does anyone have word on whether or not this will become a permanent thing?
I read somewhere that the temporary course was a prototype to see how popular a permanent course would be. We played it 3-4 times and it was very active every time we were there. I expect we'll see a full permanent course there once they decide what to do with the park.

Old 10-20-2020, 05:04 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 200
Niced 266 Times in 131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwgatorfan View Post
I read somewhere that the temporary course was a prototype to see how popular a permanent course would be. We played it 3-4 times and it was very active every time we were there. I expect we'll see a full permanent course there once they decide what to do with the park.
Hopefully there will be a permanent course there, but I wouldn't hold your breath. A lot of money has been spent for that park and a lot of money has been raised to develop it. The Master Plan has no mention of DG permanently, even though several suggestions were made during the planning process.
I think there may be an 18 hole layout there next year, but still a Temp course. '

I understand the 9 baskets were to be moved to Forest Ridge Park (off Hwy 98 and Old Falls of Neuse) for another Temp layout there, until next spring. I haven't been out there yet to see if that course is back for its 3rd season.