Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 08-23-2020, 11:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 525
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,553 Times in 741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post
What the **** are you talking about?!
To be fair, Frank Zappa is the voice in his head.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 08-24-2020, 01:02 AM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 175
Niced 2,610 Times in 1,206 Posts

I think it mostly has to do with the fact that disc golf =/= golf the same way Aussie Rules Football =/= American football. There's shared terminology but the actual playing dynamic is a lot more apples and oranges than apples to apples.

Also something to do with golf courses flying out of business whereas disc golf courses are exploding in number. But hey, let's take "the good" from the failing sport.

Disc golf has been around for decades now. Basically every good idea from ball golf has been tried in disc golf by someone, somewhere by now. Disc golf isn't more like ball golf for lack of trying.

Old 08-24-2020, 06:57 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 258 Times in 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
I think it mostly has to do with the fact that disc golf =/= golf the same way Aussie Rules Football =/= American football. There's shared terminology but the actual playing dynamic is a lot more apples and oranges than apples to apples.
If Rastnav moves to India and gets a hankering for baseball, but cricket is the only thing available, and I get a liking for the sport, that’s great. But if I start explaining to everyone that cricket needs to change to make it more like baseball, I’m going to have a bad time.

Old 08-24-2020, 07:13 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 189 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastnav View Post
If Rastnav moves to India and gets a hankering for baseball, but cricket is the only thing available, and I get a liking for the sport, that’s great. But if I start explaining to everyone that cricket needs to change to make it more like baseball, I’m going to have a bad time.
That's a great analogy but perhaps more fitting in terms of culture would be the reverse, a Brit telling Baseball fans that it should be more like Cricket.

Old 08-24-2020, 07:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,898 Times in 1,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
A few weeks ago I got my case jumped (I think it was on twitter) because I used the term "frolf." They compared using frolf to using a racial slur. Wow. The Internet is a weird place.

Imma gonna leave the Internet for a while and go frolf.
...show us on the doll where frolf touched you...

Old 08-24-2020, 07:47 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugular View Post
That's a great analogy but perhaps more fitting in terms of culture would be the reverse, a Brit telling Baseball fans that it should be more like Cricket.
Baseball and Cricket are both very old sports, so neither really works on that front. But baseball is “more popular”, although Cricket fans would beg to differ.

The only way the anology really works is the idea of someone coming in from outside a sport and trying to change it because “reasons”.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:07 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 189 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastnav View Post
Baseball and Cricket are both very old sports, so neither really works on that front. But baseball is “more popular”, although Cricket fans would beg to differ.

The only way the anology really works is the idea of someone coming in from outside a sport and trying to change it because “reasons”.
I'm no expert on this so correct me if I'm missing something but my understanding is:

Baseball is just less than 200 years old and Cricket is more than 400 years old.
Baseball is played by tens of millions of people, Cricket is played by hundreds of millions.
Financially MLB is a couple of billion dollars and the IPL is about 6 billion.

Is "more popular" related to number fans? I doubt there would be more Baseball fans than Cricket just due to the sheer size of the Indian support base, but I'm not familiar with the size of the secondary markets outside of the US (Baseball) and India (Cricket).

My inference was about culture, Cricket has a reputation of being a posh kids sport in the UK (whether fairly or not) whereas I get the impression Baseball has more blue collar connotations in the US. Somewhat similar to how the culture of Golf has been one of wealth and privilege and Disc Golf's is... different.

In addition, Cricket usually takes longer to play.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:55 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugular View Post
I'm no expert on this so correct me if I'm missing something but my understanding is:

Baseball is just less than 200 years old and Cricket is more than 400 years old.
Baseball is played by tens of millions of people, Cricket is played by hundreds of millions.
Financially MLB is a couple of billion dollars and the IPL is about 6 billion.

Is "more popular" related to number fans? I doubt there would be more Baseball fans than Cricket just due to the sheer size of the Indian support base, but I'm not familiar with the size of the secondary markets outside of the US (Baseball) and India (Cricket).

My inference was about culture, Cricket has a reputation of being a posh kids sport in the UK (whether fairly or not) whereas I get the impression Baseball has more blue collar connotations in the US. Somewhat similar to how the culture of Golf has been one of wealth and privilege and Disc Golf's is... different.

In addition, Cricket usually takes longer to play.
This is slightly off topic, but I'm nothing if not all about off-topic.

200 and 400 are both so old as to not matter anymore. I agree that worldwide Cricket is a huge market. This is the reason I put "more popular" in quotes. From the standpoint of a US baseball fan, baseball is more popular. They just won't see the impact of Cricket on its fanbase.

Much in the same way that, from the standpoint of a stick golfer, they won't understand why there are free, volunteer maintained disc golf courses all over the place. Heck, there are 4 times the number of public disc courses in my town as there are stick golf. Yeah, there are also two private courses, but I don't know if that really goes to popularity.

As to the "posh sport", I don't know that it is considered that way in the parts of the world that account for its vast popularity. It's a national sport in India and Pakistan, with the national teams drawing viewership from the entirety of the nations. Maybe it's still considered posh, even while being a national obsession of sorts.

And I wouldn't say baseball in the US is blue collar, not any more. Basketball is the sport that can be played with minimal investment, a hoop and a small spot of asphalt or concrete. Baseball needs organization and fields and fences and twice the number of players. 1v1 baseball is not really a thing. And once we get to what it takes to make it pro (or even college), that is a huge investment in time and money.

Now, that may look different in the Midwest or something. Heck, mushball is still a big thing in IL if IIRC.

Old 08-24-2020, 09:17 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 101
Niced 868 Times in 413 Posts

Quote:
We wanted to call it "Frisbee Golf" but Wham-O said no. They owned the trademark to Frisbee and we couldn't use it, so we used "disc" instead because...what are you going to do?
I wonder if Wham-O ever regrets that decision.

Old 08-24-2020, 09:30 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 41.2
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 240 Times in 139 Posts

Quote:
I'm going to have to ask for some examples here, because I don't know what you are talking about.
Normally, I would say do your own homework, bitch, but seeing how you're a 'super-moderator', just as clearly as rupor's a troll, here goes my deposit into the toll booth:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stimpmeter

Consider the history of golf and ask yourself, how and why greens could be considered 'too fast' in the first place...while some may say, as a conspiracy theorist might, that's a 'problem-reaction-solution' situation (regarding the stimpmeter), I'd prefer to adopt the 'process' way of seeing it, which may or may not be applied to the current situation of disc golf putting at the top level - except disc golf greens there, in general, are 'too slow'...fwiw.