Old 09-10-2020, 07:40 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 213 Times in 108 Posts

So I seem to have gravitated towards a preference of beat in discs and cycling. How that works for me:

I bag fresh discs. I buy a disc, I like it, I bag it.

I may start like this:
Overstable: DX Roc
Stable: Elite X Buzzz
Understable: Elite X Stratus

After playing for a while and beating everything in, I may buy another Roc. Then my midranges look like this:
Overstable: new DX Roc
Stable: original DX Roc
Understable: Stratus or Buzz, with the other one getting pulled from my bag

Next phase, I buy another Roc:
Overstable: newest DX Roc
Stable: 2nd DX Roc
Understable: my original DX Roc
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2020, 08:12 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 132 Times in 95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorooks View Post
'Beat in' is just like it sounds. Beating the heck out of a disc aka tree bounces, scuffing on concrete etc. All discs start more stable and as they take abuse, become understable.

Some discs fly like they are supposed to right off the shelf, others don't.

I recently aquired and threw a Star Wraith, Valkyrie, roadrunner and a Gstar Mystere. The Wraith and Mystere flew like I expected them to but the Valk and roadrunner flew overstable which they are not so some beating in is needed. It seems to have a lot to do with the flashing on the inside of the rim. The wraith and Mystere have none while the valk and RR have it.

Different plastics have different rates at which they beat in. I recently stopped buying DX type plastics because my home course is heavily wooded and one pointblank tree bounce and the flight of the disc changes.

Hope this helps
Definitely the flashing. Take some 400-600 grit sandpaper and sand it off. Or be careful with a razor blade and trim it, just don't do too much. You can always take of a bit more, you can't put it back.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:32 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 2
Niced 269 Times in 127 Posts

Taco—wouldn’t you put it in the Sun or maybe a sunny window and let mild heat bring it back to shape (if it can be saved)? That is the nature of plastic.

I have 2 old wraiths. 1 blizzard champion, one pro. The pro shows little wear. The champ doesn’t habit dings but it’s beat in. It’s been everywhere.

I bought a some new drivers in Pro plastic to see how they felt. The new ones feel kind of like Star plastic to me while the old one feels like the plastic has “relaxed” if that makes sense. No idea if that’s age or just different runs that are years apart.

I think I’m a fan of the champion/translucent plastics for drivers. I don’t have the years of experience but my discs do. They seem to have reached a comfortable point and then remained constant.
Old 09-10-2020, 01:25 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 43
Niced 19 Times in 14 Posts

Something I've noticed about brand new discs is that you have to throw them for a few rounds to wear-off the "new-ness". In my experience a brand new disc will start off a bit more overstable than you might expect. After a few rounds it will relax into it's typical flight characteristics, and then start to slowly beat-in over time.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:00 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 132 Times in 95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
Taco—wouldn’t you put it in the Sun or maybe a sunny window and let mild heat bring it back to shape (if it can be saved)? That is the nature of plastic.

I have 2 old wraiths. 1 blizzard champion, one pro. The pro shows little wear. The champ doesn’t habit dings but it’s beat in. It’s been everywhere.

I bought a some new drivers in Pro plastic to see how they felt. The new ones feel kind of like Star plastic to me while the old one feels like the plastic has “relaxed” if that makes sense. No idea if that’s age or just different runs that are years apart.

I think I’m a fan of the champion/translucent plastics for drivers. I don’t have the years of experience but my discs do. They seem to have reached a comfortable point and then remained constant.
You certainly can put a taco'd disc in the sun. I just bend it back by hand. Some dents can be done too with a little force.

Pro blends vary wildly. I've seen stiff hard grippy to floppy RPROish junk. Some does resemble star, if you can find it it's the way to go. I like it a lot.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:29 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 36
Niced 59 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
I hear rumors of discs that get more overstable with use, but I haven't seen it myself and am skeptical.
I have heard this said about the Zone (or maybe just some Zones). I don't know if it is true or not, but I think it might be possible. I have a Jawbreaker Zone in my bag that I have used regularly for two+ years. It has become puddle-topped from use and is still pretty overstable. I can't really tell if it has gotten more or less overstable than when it was new, because any changes have been gradual.

I have another jawbreaker zone from a tournament about a year and a half ago that I've never thrown. I will try throwing both this weekend and see if the beat up one is more or less overstable than the new/unthrown one and report back here.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:01 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 36
Niced 59 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanC View Post
I have heard this said about the Zone (or maybe just some Zones). I don't know if it is true or not, but I think it might be possible. I have a Jawbreaker Zone in my bag that I have used regularly for two+ years. It has become puddle-topped from use and is still pretty overstable. I can't really tell if it has gotten more or less overstable than when it was new, because any changes have been gradual.

I have another jawbreaker zone from a tournament about a year and a half ago that I've never thrown. I will try throwing both this weekend and see if the beat up one is more or less overstable than the new/unthrown one and report back here.
Turns out I have a couple of unthrown Jawbreaker zones. One from a tournament and one that I picked up as a backup for my first one. I threw all three a few times last weekend and the beat in one is less overstable than the two unthrown ones, but not by a lot. All three are overstable, but the beat in one goes straight a little longer than the other two before fading left. It flies just a little further and straighter.

It did not get more overstable with age, but I would say it changed very little considering the amount of use it has gotten.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 335
Niced 621 Times in 299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
I should show you a picture (if I had it) after I hit first available with an XT Roc. It was in the shape of a taco. I had to bend it back. OK it wasn't completely folded in half, but it was approx. 10-20 degrees warped. That's where taco comes from.
i've never felt the XT plastic, i have no idea what it's like.

i believe you but i also have my doubts that disc flew completely differently after you tuned it. i have warped DX plastic on one throw but it didn't drastically alter the flight.

Old 09-18-2020, 09:10 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 348 Times in 205 Posts

Brand new disc usually start out stable and with less glide. There is a place for these disc in your bag. Fighting wind, distance control, etc. Many disc, as they beat in, get less stable and more glide. So they fly straighter and go further. Here is a picture of my most beat in Roc, very glidy, little bit of turn. I’ve been throwing it as my primary midrange since March, playing 3-4 times a week. Base plastic lasts much longer than most people give it credit for

Niced: (1)