Old 09-24-2020, 12:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 180
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,468 Times in 578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsbranch250 View Post
I think its fair to say that the more and more courses one plays, the more honed in their evaluation of a course will be, but playing numerous regions far and wide is a big eye opener as well.
Agreed. Seeing how course designers in different regions adapt to local conditions provides perspective.

Playing courses in different regions is also, to me, one of the more fascinating aspects of disc golf.
Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2020, 01:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 101
Niced 845 Times in 407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post

Playing courses in different regions is also, to me, one of the more fascinating aspects of disc golf.
The first time I played at sea level, I thought I grabbed someone else's bag by mistake. It was such an eye opener for me, that it changed the way I picked discs when I got home.

Playing different regions is awesome.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-27-2020, 07:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 297
Niced 432 Times in 205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstopper View Post
Over time this works, but it sucks when you are the one who gets suckered into playing a mediocre to poor course over other better options due to inflated B.S. ratings. I learned very early on that the ratings on Disc Golf Scene were absolutely skewed and not worth a damn after playing some absolutely garbage courses that were rated B or B+. It doesn't happen often here thank goodness.
Yeah, Disc Golf Scene is so bunk. A nearby course that I have listed as a solid 2.5 (35 reviews) is currently ratted #6 within my state on DGS.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Default 8 of 9 people found this review helpful ???

The following is a little excerpt from a recent review of Tom Brown of Tallahassee, FL, which is arguably Florida's top course. I played it yesterday and was updating the course conditions when I stumbled upon this lump of coal:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/revie...=8877&mode=rev

Other Thoughts: I am not sure how Tom Brown is the #1 course in Florida when it's not the best course in Tallahassee. I would actually rate it as the 3rd best course in Tallahassee behind Millstone and Jack McLean. Obviously, this is only my opinion. However, this is my opinion after playing 500+ rounds at Tom Brown. I've also played over 100 courses in America.

I feel that you shouldn't even be able to say it is the best in Florida unless you have played at least 20 courses in Florida. In my personal opinion when you rate a Disc Golf course, everything has to be put in consideration. When a restaurant is rated you take multiple things into consideration. (Ambiance, food, customer service, cleanliness, price, staff etc etc)

__________________________________________________ ___
This was such a bad review that it made me smile. It sounds like they don't like the course, yet they've played it 500+ times? Doubtful.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-27-2020, 09:35 AM
Supreme Disc Golf Authority

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 296
Niced 139 Times in 64 Posts
Default Make that 9 out of 10 thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Butlertron View Post
The following is a little excerpt from a recent review of Tom Brown of Tallahassee, FL, which is arguably Florida's top course. I played it yesterday and was updating the course conditions when I stumbled upon this lump of coal:

Other Thoughts: I am not sure how Tom Brown is the #1 course in Florida when it's not the best course in Tallahassee. I would actually rate it as the 3rd best course in Tallahassee behind Millstone and Jack McLean. Obviously, this is only my opinion. However, this is my opinion after playing 500+ rounds at Tom Brown. I've also played over 100 courses in America.

I feel that you shouldn't even be able to say it is the best in Florida unless you have played at least 20 courses in Florida. In my personal opinion when you rate a Disc Golf course, everything has to be put in consideration. When a restaurant is rated you take multiple things into consideration. (Ambiance, food, customer service, cleanliness, price, staff etc etc)

This was such a bad review that it made me smile. It sounds like they don't like the course, yet they've played it 500+ times? Doubtful.

Mr. Butlertron you’re one of my favorite reviewers and I really respect your opinion, but that’s one of the best reviews of Tom Brown ever. I once even cashed in the Open division at a tournament there and would agree with just about everything the reviewer said. The reviewer says there’s not many options in town so it’s no wonder they’ve played it 500+ times. Not everyone wants to drive an extra 30-45 minutes each way just to play a little better course. I flipping hate traffic...in fact just yesterday when I played a round I went to our 3 Star course to play rather than our 4.5 Star course because I didn’t want to drive an extra 15 minutes each way.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-27-2020, 01:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 379
Niced 502 Times in 194 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Mr. Butlertron you’re one of my favorite reviewers and I really respect your opinion, but that’s one of the best reviews of Tom Brown ever. I once even cashed in the Open division at a tournament there and would agree with just about everything the reviewer said. The reviewer says there’s not many options in town so it’s no wonder they’ve played it 500+ times. Not everyone wants to drive an extra 30-45 minutes each way just to play a little better course. I flipping hate traffic...in fact just yesterday when I played a round I went to our 3 Star course to play rather than our 4.5 Star course because I didn’t want to drive an extra 15 minutes each way.
Reviewer gave a 4-star course a 3.0 rating. Even hinted that he could possibly give it a 3.5. Nothing wrong with the review. MrB is grasping at straws here.

Old 09-27-2020, 04:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 199
Niced 974 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beable View Post
Is it bad form to PM people to ask them to really think about their rating? There are currently two 4.5 rating reviews for Crooked Creek. That rating is ludicrous and led me to drive out there when I should not have. I'd rather that didn't happen to other people.

The course was fine and I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong. But a 4.5 is worth a drive, in my opinion. If I lived near Crooked Creek, I'd definitely go there and play every once in awhile. Schenley is near me and pre-Covid I would just head over and play there whenever I felt like it.
This is a late reply, but just like others said, the best course of actions is to write a review of your own (as you did).

I respect DGCR ratings tremendously in general. But the quickest way to know a DGCR rating is suspect is if there are only one, or two, or three reviews. While searching for good courses, I've taken to only including courses with five or more reviews. Also, any 9-hole with a rating in that 4 range is suspect. Linbrook is an example of one that was highly suspicious before I played it, even with its 20 reviews. But it is well worth the 3.5.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscGolfCraig View Post
Reviewer gave a 4-star course a 3.0 rating. Even hinted that he could possibly give it a 3.5. Nothing wrong with the review. MrB is grasping at straws here.
I don't really have a problem with the score as much as the content. I have played the actual course for starters and which makes me somewhat more knowledgeable than, say, yourself on the issue
Old 09-28-2020, 09:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,070 Times in 1,430 Posts

Quote:
I don't really have a problem with the score as much as the content. I have played the actual course for starters and which makes me somewhat more knowledgeable than, say, yourself on the issue
Ratings....meh. Reviews...

Review portions, by a poster, are a completely subjective description of their experience vs expectations. They, by nature cannot be wrong, just not in agreement with yours. Telling others their opinion is wrong is an uphill battle...and likely one, not in need of battling.

Old 09-28-2020, 10:30 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 460
Niced 1,313 Times in 410 Posts

I’ve played tom brown

I don’t have a problem with the score, but the review content has numerous major factually inaccuracies and/or gross embellishments. I would agree with mikek that there is some stuff in the review that’s touched on that’s not covered by any other reviewers such as sketchy park goers, its popularity and its ongoing trash issue.

A list of major factually inaccuracies and/or gross embellishments.

Quote:
There is a road with steady thru traffic that can come into play in some way at some point on all 24 holes.
This is a lie. All one has to do is look at the course map to realize how made up this comment is. There is ZERO steady thru traffic. There are low use park roads that come into play on 4 or 5 holes out of 24 total holes.

Quote:
Many of the holes are the same exact shot.
fake con and/or gross exaggeration imo. Someone could write the same comment about IDGC Jackson or Idlewild and it would hold the same amount of water. There are 24 holes, a couple are bound the play the same, but imo, none are the same. The course photographs I think show this clearly but here’s a rundown. it’s a 10,000 foot layout with sub 200 foot par 3s to 800 foot par 4s. shot types include doglegs both ways, tunnels shots, hook shots both ways, bombs, tight technical plays, parallel and across creek plays, up shots, down shots, pocket basket placements and tricky greens.

Quote:
Veteran Baskets MIGHT be the 5th best baskets on the market.
How is 5th, out of lets say 50 basket types, a con?

Quote:
- Many holes are "tweener" holes.
Imo this is silly con because there are multiple tees here. if you play the tees not according to your skill level, then yes, there will be tweener holes. IMO good course designers will not set specific par levels for multiple tee courses based on one specific person’s skill level set.

Quote:
I would actually rate it as the 3rd best course in Tallahassee behind Millstone and Jack McLean.
Millstone is not even a real course, it was temp layout used one time in the icebowl. I have no problem with someone thinking jack is better than tom brown. They are different styles and both are great courses imo. Of the half dozen or so veteran players that I know that have played both, only one likes Jack better.

Quote:
Every tee pad was surrounded by small pebbles that get stuck in your shoe from time to time. So, I find myself constantly kicking the pebbles off each pad.
whoa....... what a pathetic whiney b!tch comment.

I have declined to vote on the review, but I have considered giving it a thumb down.

Last edited by wellsbranch250; 09-28-2020 at 10:34 AM.