Old 09-23-2020, 08:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 918 Times in 445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedo Vegas View Post
That is pretty much what they were suggesting. The DGPT would weight discs during the week leading up to the tournament and stamp them if legal so they would be able to use the disc for the rest of the season.

To go after players for competing with overweight discs produced by sponsoring manufacturers, who marked and are selling the discs as legal, is going to be a losing proposition for the DGPT or basically any tournament, because those manufacturers are also major sponsors of tournaments. This whole idea looks dead in the water from the get go to me.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2020, 09:02 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 331
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,617 Times in 2,023 Posts

Even if you're randomly sampling 10 discs from the top 50 players, I think it's ridiculous to ask TDs or event staff to weigh 500 discs given everything else the have to do pre and post event. Just going out on a limb here, but...

Why not put the responsibility where it belongs?

Disc manufacturers shouldn't let any overweight discs out of their facility. They must be weighing all of them already, or how would they even be putting weights on discs in the first place? Just do a better job of it.

When the PDGA approves any mold, the max weight is made public. They shouldn't be allowed to sell a disc as being "PDGA Approved" if it's overweight.

Manufacturers should get some decent scales and have some standard masses to calibrate them. Any disc that's overweight gets recycled... never leaves the building. If the labeled weight is off a few grams, so be it, just so long as it's not over weight.

Problem is, my proposed "fix" doesn't do squat for however many overweight discs are already in circulation.

On the other hand... Are we really saying Player X finished as high on the board as they did because throwing a 176g disc instead of a 175g gave them an unfair advantage over Player Y?

I realize it's a slippery slope when choose which rules to enforce, but I think the Pro Tour has bigger issues to address.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 09-23-2020 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:52 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 36.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 165 Times in 102 Posts

Manufacturers are to blame, but only the players can really do anything about the manufacturers, by taking their biz elsewhere. If they lose the players, they will correct their practices. There should be an official scale available to players at any event where disc weight gets checked and then it becomes the players responsibility.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:36 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 342 Times in 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'alcooltue View Post
i guess taking the natural approach his lyme disease treatment paid off.

ricky: 2
dgcr: 0
i thought rick did take some doxy?
Old 09-24-2020, 09:41 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,095 Times in 420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Even if you're randomly sampling 10 discs from the top 50 players, I think it's ridiculous to ask TDs or event staff to weigh 500 discs given everything else the have to do pre and post event. Just going out on a limb here, but...

Why not put the responsibility where it belongs?

Disc manufacturers shouldn't let any overweight discs out of their facility. They must be weighing all of them already, or how would they even be putting weights on discs in the first place? Just do a better job of it.

When the PDGA approves any mold, the max weight is made public. They shouldn't be allowed to sell a disc as being "PDGA Approved" if it's overweight.

Manufacturers should get some decent scales and have some standard masses to calibrate them. Any disc that's overweight gets recycled... never leaves the building. If the labeled weight is off a few grams, so be it, just so long as it's not over weight.

Problem is, my proposed "fix" doesn't do squat for however many overweight discs are already in circulation.

On the other hand... Are we really saying Player X finished as high on the board as they did because throwing a 176g disc instead of a 175g gave them an unfair advantage over Player Y?

I realize it's a slippery slope when choose which rules to enforce, but I think the Pro Tour has bigger issues to address.
I don’t think they do weigh them, I thought I read that they do some combination of weighing a few representatives from a run and knowing how much a given plastic mix will weigh. Could be making that up.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:43 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 2
Niced 289 Times in 137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
I think you are right--said it didn't work?
Old 09-24-2020, 10:30 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 62
Niced 154 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
I think you are right--said it didn't work?
He sure did. I can never get timestamps to work, but jump to 53 seconds for the whole story, or 1:20 for him saying he took it.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-24-2020, 11:02 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 342 Times in 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan P. View Post
He sure did. I can never get timestamps to work, but jump to 53 seconds for the whole story, or 1:20 for him saying he took it.
thank you for the link! I knew I remembered reading about it but discussions about ricky and his treatment(s) has been spread across so many threads over the course of the past year. I see that you did add the t=53 stamp in the video link, so I think it's just that the embedded video player can't handle it for some reason
Old 09-24-2020, 12:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 53
Niced 5,725 Times in 2,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan P. View Post
Timestamps don't work on DGCR.

Old 09-24-2020, 05:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 918 Times in 445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Timestamps don't work on DGCR.
au contraire

0:53 seconds

and
1:20