Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Raised baskets and artificial OB/ropes 17 17.71%
Standard height and natural rough 79 82.29%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 10:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 936 Times in 631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeonDwindle View Post
that's called 'begging the question' my clever lad...consider your toll paid.
No, it's really not.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2020, 10:32 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 49
Niced 123 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
Change is a gimmick!!!!!
Gimmicks are gimmicks!

Niced: (1)
Old 09-25-2020, 10:34 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 49
Niced 123 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
Don't worry about it, it's really nothing. Only takes a few minutes a day of sensible thinking.
what stage are you at with that course you're building that is going to revolutionize the sport? Have you designed the baskets yet?
Old 09-25-2020, 10:47 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 36.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 165 Times in 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyray View Post
what stage are you at with that course you're building that is going to revolutionize the sport? Have you designed the baskets yet?
update was given yesterday on this thread.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:36 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 31
Niced 538 Times in 193 Posts

A hush falls over the gallery as Paul McBeth sizes up the tiny basket to take the win.

Last edited by zenbot; 09-25-2020 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:57 PM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 250
Niced 390 Times in 173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
I've never aced, but one of the local courses doubles as a foot golf course with a hole pretty close to the disc golf basket. I've thrown my tee shot into the foot golf hole 3 times.

If we go to baskets in the ground, can I retroactively count those as aces?
Only if they were rollers...

Niced: (1)
Old 09-25-2020, 04:37 PM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 174
Niced 2,610 Times in 1,206 Posts

People that don't like raised baskets/OB 🤝 People that don't like their skills tested.

Old 09-25-2020, 05:14 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 140 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
People that don't like raised baskets/OB 🤝 People that don't like their skills tested.
Would be solved if putting was legitimate though. Like a smaller standard size basket. Artificial OB is too silly for me. It many times isn't equitable to the result of the throw. Player A lands 1 inch long into the artificial OB area 10 feet from basket, player B lands 200 feet short into same OB area (island green in this scenario). Both move to drop zone for a putt. It's really not logical to have one player throw nearly a perfect shot and another a terrible one and end up with the same result.

Skill is NOT rewarded because of OB and the OB rewarded the guy with the terrible throw.

I don't like the amount of nonsense that results from it. Them you have rules questions that arise from it as well. Which even the TD's don't know the answer (like for Paul McBeth at Maple Hill).

The game should be fair and challenging. Not chaotic and nonsensical.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:49 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 41.2
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 240 Times in 139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
Would be solved if putting was legitimate though. Like a smaller standard size basket. Artificial OB is too silly for me. It many times isn't equitable to the result of the throw. Player A lands 1 inch long into the artificial OB area 10 feet from basket, player B lands 200 feet short into same OB area (island green in this scenario). Both move to drop zone for a putt. It's really not logical to have one player throw nearly a perfect shot and another a terrible one and end up with the same result.

Skill is NOT rewarded because of OB and the OB rewarded the guy with the terrible throw.

I don't like the amount of nonsense that results from it. Them you have rules questions that arise from it as well. Which even the TD's don't know the answer (like for Paul McBeth at Maple Hill).

This like most analyses of the 'artificial OB' situation is too simplistic.
I say the more the player can see it and 'knows' where it is, the more fair it is.
This is more fair for a couple of reasons:
1. Psychological effect on players attempting a result.
2. Nothing hidden or intentionally 'trick' about such an OB.
Situations that involve a forced carry with 'artificial' OB may or may not be 'fair'; as is the case with forced carries involving 'natural' features.
Nitpicking extreme examples of specific lies to condemn the entire practice outright eliminates the vast majority of likely results AND 'rub of the green' situations which are a normal part of the game.
Political controversies resulting from unusual situations are also a normal part of disc golf and most games in general. For example in DDC, when a double is called, it is normal practice for experienced players to ALWAYS contradict the call. A discussion regarding the legitimacy of the double ensues. Politics are normal in sport, especially a self-refereed one. Politics would best be viewed as another test of one's mental fortitude, sportsmanship and rules knowledge.

There are also unusual situations where artificial OB should be accepted with no question. An example: Laurel Springs had such an area, right in the middle of the property (hole #3 if memory serves). The OB was designed to protect precious fir seedlings from excessive damage. I'm sure there are other private property owners with disc golf courses who have such natural resources they wish to protect from play - at a minimum of time & expense for themselves. In this case, common courtesy alone dictates one's acceptance.

Granted the implementation of such 'artificial' OB areas leaves a lot to be desired, with respect to my previous statements, aesthetics and visibility for certain, but considering the average resources available to implement and experiment with such an idea, my vote is 'FOR'.

Old 09-25-2020, 05:54 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 31
Niced 538 Times in 193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post

I think I can safely assume your opinions on the 2 meter rule.
Closed Thread