Old 09-15-2020, 11:45 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,511 Times in 962 Posts

I wear Merrill trail gloves and switch shoes/ socks between rounds. The waterproof ones are great for dew, but if you get water over the top it’s not coming out.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2020, 11:55 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 72
Niced 412 Times in 203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
Waterproof sandals? I think he meant water sandals. Being sandals it would be tough to make them waterproof.

Anyways, any lightweight hiking, trail runner with GoreTex could be good. I'm liking a pair of Merrel Moab's Goretex the best right now. I got probably 8 pairs of waterproof shoes and these are the best for dryness, durability and combination of lightness/mobility.
The leather upper on these sandals are waterproof. Not all sandals handle getting wet well.

https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-NEW...otwear_sandals
Old 09-15-2020, 12:00 PM

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 11 Times in 7 Posts

I am a huge fan of waterproof socks when dealing with early morning dew issues. I will say this as a heads up though; when you play a 2 round tournament, plan to change socks/shoes between rounds. I say that because, the waterproof socks tend to trap your body heat and perspiration. On super hot days, after the dew burns off, if my feet get too sweaty, the second round, I find that the pivoting on my feet - I end up with bad blisters. The feet get soft from sweat and you pivot hard on the tee pads. For me, this is mainly only a problem in the second round. I don't really feel the issue till after I'm done throwing for the day.

I love my waterproof socks and have a couple pair. Just watch out for the hot days after the dew has burned off.
Old 09-15-2020, 12:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 117
Niced 891 Times in 416 Posts

If you don't mind wearing a full boot I've had great success with these from Columbia... so much that I bought a 2nd pair in black when I saw them on sale. The waterproofing works great for me.

I'm always surprised that Columbia boots don't get mentioned more often. I also have a couple pairs of non-waterproof boots that are super comfortable and durability hasn't been an issue.

Old 09-15-2020, 12:36 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 410 Times in 184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
You can wash your waterproof shoes and they will regain most of the newness of waterproofing. I think that dirt and sweaty oils/whatever gets into the membrane or onto the shoe itself and it makes the membrane soak through much easier. The membrane doesn't work well if it's dirty.

Take the laces out, wash them on gentle cycle, the dry them in the sun. Oh and take the inserts out too to wash together but dry separately.
Thanks for the tips. For me I've found that waterproof stuff like Gortex is useful to keep your feet warmer than that shoe normally would without it. I can get away with using those GTX Terrex trail shoes in some reasonably cold weather as long as there isn't snow down.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 144
Niced 994 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post
... I wouldn't recommend Merrill, though; try any of the other good hiking shoes (e.g., Keen et al.)...
I've had decent luck with Merrills, most pairs (Chameleons, Moabs) last me almost 2 years, and only then because the shoe has separated from the sole. They still have plenty of tread left (Vibram soles FTW). The one pair of Keens I used (Targhee II) lasted all of 9 months. Barely.

YMMV
Old 09-15-2020, 07:04 PM

Courses Played: 46
Niced 17 Times in 14 Posts

Best investment since starting disc golf was "lightweight" stormsocks, these are the things you just wonder why you didn't get them years ago...
Old 09-15-2020, 09:37 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 126 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trasf View Post
Best investment since starting disc golf was "lightweight" stormsocks, these are the things you just wonder why you didn't get them years ago...
These?
https://stormrusa.com/product/stormr-neoprene-socks/
Old 09-16-2020, 07:20 AM

Courses Played: 46
Niced 17 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
https://www.bridgedale.com/mens/waterproof

Niced: (1)

Old 09-16-2020, 07:47 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 47.3
Courses Played: 8
Niced 102 Times in 64 Posts

In warmer weather, light weight synthetic material hiking boots (they dry quicker than others) with water proof socks. Coupled with spray antiperspirant and foot powder. And a plastic tub to put them in after use.