Old 09-16-2020, 10:05 AM

Courses Played: 12
Niced 11 Times in 4 Posts
Default Anyone ever reached out to a pro for a lesson?

There's an A-tier happening about 2 hours from where I live next month and a lot of top pros will be participating. I don't expect to get a 1-on-1 with Ricky, but I'm curious if anyone has ever reached out to a pro for a lesson before and how that went. How did you go about reaching them? How much did the lesson cost? How long was it?

For reference, the tournament is the 2020 North Myrtle Beach Open. Would love to try and get a lesson with Barsby, Uli, Heimburg, or Chris Dickerson. Is that reaching too high?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2020, 10:20 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 213 Times in 108 Posts

I've never taken a lesson or reached out to anyone.

However, our local facebook group occasionally has local pros offering lessons. I don't think Dickerson or Zach Melton (both in the group) have ever offered, but some 1010'ish rated folks have offered. And some 9xx rated guys that have good reputations as instructors have offered, too. They generally offer a rate per half hour lesson and then a different rate to provide instruction throughout a round. So if you have a local group like that, you can ask.

I think most pros are pretty accessible through social media and I'm sure many of them would do it for the right price, if their schedule allows.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-16-2020, 11:04 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 237 Times in 143 Posts

I think you may have trouble getting touring pros to give personal lessons. They are there only for a while and are focused on preparing for their tournament; then once the tournament is over, they are on their way home or to the next one. You might see one give group lessons now and then....but that doesn't always happen. If you can, talk to one after a round and see if they are available and what they would charge....while I don't think it would happen (for the reasons I stated), you'll never find out if you don't ask.

You might also find out if they are on social media (or their email address) and contact them.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:50 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 36.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 165 Times in 102 Posts

I would post on the tournament comments section. Offer them a $100 to play a round with you and give you instruction. I think you will have quite a few that would be willing to do so.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-16-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
I think you may have trouble getting touring pros to give personal lessons. They are there only for a while and are focused on preparing for their tournament; then once the tournament is over, they are on their way home or to the next one. You might see one give group lessons now and then....but that doesn't always happen. If you can, talk to one after a round and see if they are available and what they would charge....while I don't think it would happen (for the reasons I stated), you'll never find out if you don't ask.

You might also find out if they are on social media (or their email address) and contact them.
Yeah, my hopes aren't super high but it certainly doesn't hurt to ask. The tournament is two weeks after USDGC so I'm not sure if that helps or hurts my chances. Someone like Chris Dickerson will probably go home to TN before traveling back out to Myrtle Beach but I'm not sure about someone like Uli or Barsby that live much further away. Keeping my fingers crossed either way!
Old 09-16-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
I would post on the tournament comments section. Offer them a $100 to play a round with you and give you instruction. I think you will have quite a few that would be willing to do so.
That's a good idea. I posted there to see if there would be any clinics but maybe this would be a better question. Thanks!
Old 09-16-2020, 12:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,042 Times in 1,422 Posts

Error in posting

Last edited by ru4por; 09-16-2020 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,042 Times in 1,422 Posts

If you pay the price, I would think most pros would put on a clinic, while in town for a tournament. It happens all the time. I would think that contacting their sponsor or their social media accounts would be a good place to start. I would suggest working through your local club to help get folks out to the event.
Here are a couple videos of said clinics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JpY1m9vx2A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_7RPOmSSsU

Niced: (1)
Old 09-16-2020, 12:05 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 36.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 165 Times in 102 Posts

To add to this. I previously posted (A YEAR OR MORE AGO) about how a Pro-Am would be a great thing to do before each professional tourney, to help boosts purses and provide an additional way to make money for the players. If you have a quality field of pros it would be a no brainer to bring in $50-100 from 60-80 area players, increasing the purse by several thousand $.

Old 09-16-2020, 12:09 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 18
Niced 46 Times in 25 Posts

I have never reached out for a lesson, but I have reached out to a top pro for advice on disc selection and never got an answer.