Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 09-16-2020, 10:45 AM

Niced 3 Times in 1 Post
Default why is there a heavy insistence to join league? when it sucks?!

For months and months prior to league re-opening due to covid restrictions i am told, are you going to come to league? its so much fun! but when playing league - (on our small course that is 18 hole - 9 basket course ) we have these crazy choke points where you're waiting for 5 - 6 cards, constantly throwing fairway shots with people hiding behind tree's or people present where you don't usually have people standing, and an increased chance to be hit by flying discs ( almost several in one night) but i am told playing league is "disc golf"

Is this usually the experience playing league for everyone? are tournaments like this too?

i play so well when not playing league but during league the course is the last place i want to be.

Do you all agree that league is the only real disc golf? i hope that's not true.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2020, 10:52 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 74
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 881 Times in 325 Posts

Sounds like the smaller course is the issue. For me, league play is as good as the sport gets. We rarely have major backup issues.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:56 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 195 Times in 132 Posts

9 baskets and 18 tees is going to be a nightmare if there’s more than 9 cards of players. The LD should be putting out temp baskets or changing the direction of play to avoid having multiple cards waiting to play the same basket.

League rounds take longer than a rec round no doubt. Might not be your thing. Maybe try another league at a different course. In my neck of the woods there are a few leagues that do flex starts- play anytime throughout the day and turn your card in digitally.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-16-2020, 10:59 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 237 Times in 143 Posts

First, league is not 'the only real disc golf'. It is fun and can help you improve your game - I've had plenty of people spot what I'm doing wrong and help me improve - whether it is my form or throwing the wrong disc for my ability, the advice has been helpful.

It does sound like you are playing a small course or a poorly designed one (maybe fairways are too close to each other or you have to throw over a different fairway to get to your basket), or too many people play on a card (I saw a group of 8 one time - not in the leagues I play, it was a casual round).

I've also never been 'forced/coerced/etc' into playing league. It was always a friendly invite....basically, this is when we play, how much we charge, and you are welcome to join us.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:59 AM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 249
Niced 389 Times in 172 Posts

League I used to play had pretty snappy pace of play, no backup issues, and was a lot of fun. It was random draw mixed doubles with A pool and B pool players based on basic skill level.

The backup/safety issues at your league sound more course related than league related.

Also, define "the only real disc golf."

Niced: (3)
Old 09-16-2020, 11:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,128 Times in 2,001 Posts

There are so many ways to enjoy disc golf, it's absurd to suggest that any one is the right one.

I'd encourage people to try tournaments -- or league -- on the grounds that they might really like it. Or, they'll find it's not their cup of tea. But they won't really know until they try.

For the O.P., the issue isn't league, but the people who are being so persistent.

Old 09-16-2020, 11:17 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 93
Niced 66 Times in 31 Posts

As an introvert I shy away from league. As an only child I hate sharing the course. If playing with other people it's usually good friends and then no more than 3 others (because I'm also impatient). Soooo yeaaaaaa, league ain't for me, but disc golf is. You CAN have it both ways!

Old 09-16-2020, 11:22 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 3
Niced 213 Times in 108 Posts

I'm a casual only player at this point. To me, the best version of disc golf that I've experienced is a late evening or early morning with the course to myself. Me, nature, and total freedom. I can just play the holes I want. I can make up holes. I can throw all forehand rollers. Stupid low percentage backdoor hyzers. Straight up score. Best shot. Worst shot. Just throw discs. Whatever my mood strikes me.

Once COVID sorts itself out, I plan to play tournaments. Leagues don't really interest me. First, the schedules don't really work for me. Most are weeknights and I don't really want to bust butt to get somewhere, then play a structured round after a 10 hour work shift. The other thing is that some of these leagues are on 9 hole courses that feel too crowded to me with 4 groups on course at the same time. And they might have 40-60 people on course at the same time for a league.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-16-2020, 11:48 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 36.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 165 Times in 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerteeuwen View Post
For months and months prior to league re-opening due to covid restrictions i am told, are you going to come to league? its so much fun! but when playing league - (on our small course that is 18 hole - 9 basket course ) we have these crazy choke points where you're waiting for 5 - 6 cards, constantly throwing fairway shots with people hiding behind tree's or people present where you don't usually have people standing, and an increased chance to be hit by flying discs ( almost several in one night) but i am told playing league is "disc golf"

Is this usually the experience playing league for everyone? are tournaments like this too?

i play so well when not playing league but during league the course is the last place i want to be.

Do you all agree that league is the only real disc golf? i hope that's not true.
Leagues are the financial lifeline for many disc clubs. It is also one of the few opportunities to bring the disc golf community together. In many instances it is only because of the club that the disc golf course exists in the first place.

As a disc golfer, on most courses, it is really your responsibility to play league or support the club in some other way. If you don't do either, don't get upset when the decision comes to pull the baskets at your courses.

It really comes down to the distinction between being someone who plays disc golf and being someone who is a disc golfer.

Old 09-16-2020, 12:14 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 167 Times in 84 Posts

This year was my first in league. Here are some notes.

Cons:
Sometimes your pairings aren't great. My first 2 weeks I got paired with a jerk. He brought his kid and insisted his kid play, making the round last a LONG time! He would go off on people interrupting him but felt free to talk while others were throwing. He criticized my bag (its actually a cooler bag but works great for discs). I started showing up later to miss him. 3 weeks later he was still there waiting for a group because nobody would play with him. I didn't feel like being there all day so I played with him again. The problem sorted itself out as he quit.

It can take longer. Casual rounds with friends take an hour, maybe a bit longer. League rounds last an hour and half or more (2.5 if you have some jerk that insists his 6 yr old kid plays the long tees)

Pros:
League dues - $50. I got to pick 1 disc from a big stack . Player pack 3 discs. Won Hi-lo doubles, got to pick 4 discs. They also gave me a new backpack. Dollar value heavily exceeded.

Played with a pro.

Played with a guy with an Epic and Arrow. The Epic is, shall we say...epic!

I feel like I learned a lot. Watching different lines, learning certain ettiquette.

The one guy aside, everyone was awesome and had a great attitude.