Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 09-21-2020, 07:32 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 167 Times in 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
There is not really any point to try to play where I'm talking about. It is a 9 hole course with about 15 groups for league.

And I'm totally fine with that. I actually want them to have leagues. I'd probably come to their league if I were unemployed.
It doesn't sound like a very fun time. I also have little time to play. Between work and picking a kid up from an activity it can be hard to squeeze a round in.

I think I'm just lucky. My course is 1/2 mile away. The league organizers specifically wanted a more relaxed feel to it. The guy I got paired with for the end HiLo doubles stopped playing the league at the 'good' course because he wanted the chill atmosphere. He seemed like a soft spoken nice guy. He was good. But he's lucky I was there with my awesome 5ft putting ability
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2020, 07:58 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 396 Times in 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamtheMan View Post
Main reason I don't play in weekly league is that it takes far too long for a single round. Friend who I DG with plays in them fairly often and keeps saying how it's 2,5 to 3 hours for a single round (18-hole course), pretty much without fail. In comparison, we played two rounds yesterday, it took just over 2 hours for two rounds, 36 holes total. No interest in spending more time for a single round than we regularly do two rounds in.
I enjoy the hang and the party. Shooting the sh!t, crush some shots and putts and show off a bit, why rush through that?

Niced: (2)
Old 09-21-2020, 08:23 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 213 Times in 108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorooks View Post
It doesn't sound like a very fun time. I also have little time to play. Between work and picking a kid up from an activity it can be hard to squeeze a round in.

I think I'm just lucky. My course is 1/2 mile away. The league organizers specifically wanted a more relaxed feel to it. The guy I got paired with for the end HiLo doubles stopped playing the league at the 'good' course because he wanted the chill atmosphere. He seemed like a soft spoken nice guy. He was good. But he's lucky I was there with my awesome 5ft putting ability
The people that play it love it and it has apparently been a staple since well before I took up disc golf.

It seems to be a really tight knit group, which is great, but whenever a group like that forms, it is hard to not come across as cliquey to outsiders. I'm sure the club is in a really tough spot where they'd like to grow the club and appear as inclusive, but they also can't necessarily support including everyone that wants to play.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,042 Times in 1,422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
The people that play it love it and it has apparently been a staple since well before I took up disc golf.

It seems to be a really tight knit group, which is great, but whenever a group like that forms, it is hard to not come across as cliquey to outsiders. I'm sure the club is in a really tough spot where they'd like to grow the club and appear as inclusive, but they also can't necessarily support including everyone that wants to play.
This is pretty regional. Membership is vital to any club. We are always in need of folks to help. Tournaments, leagues, clean up days, meetings, organizing, marketing, hustling for sponsorship, interactions with local parks and municipalities, dealings with others clubs and state organizations. These are just a few positions in a club that require resources.

We run four leagues, there singles leagues. Intentionally have designed them to cater to three different skill levels. While many players play more than one, or all three.

Inclusion can be a barrier, but that is on the leagues. Man, we really make an effort to meet and greet any random golfers we encounter. It is counterproductive to our efforts to be less than gracious to outsiders. I cannot see why any club would allow any other behavior.

We always need help and bodies to run events. We have really started to focus on getting our name out there, so new player can see what we have done and are doing for the disc golf community. Rest assured we can accommodate everyone that wants to play....well, COVID is limiting our ability right now for tournaments.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:20 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 3
Niced 213 Times in 108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
This is pretty regional. Membership is vital to any club. We are always in need of folks to help. Tournaments, leagues, clean up days, meetings, organizing, marketing, hustling for sponsorship, interactions with local parks and municipalities, dealings with others clubs and state organizations. These are just a few positions in a club that require resources.

We run four leagues, there singles leagues. Intentionally have designed them to cater to three different skill levels. While many players play more than one, or all three.

Inclusion can be a barrier, but that is on the leagues. Man, we really make an effort to meet and greet any random golfers we encounter. It is counterproductive to our efforts to be less than gracious to outsiders. I cannot see why any club would allow any other behavior.

We always need help and bodies to run events. We have really started to focus on getting our name out there, so new player can see what we have done and are doing for the disc golf community. Rest assured we can accommodate everyone that wants to play....well, COVID is limiting our ability right now for tournaments.
I was speaking in the context of 1 particular popular event at a tiny park.

Niced: (1)

Old 09-26-2020, 04:56 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 163 Times in 112 Posts

Leagues killed the game for me. I’ve been a part of four clubs in my DG career and only one was fun. It was my college club. The others were a bunch of man-children in a social club who took everything way too seriously and then not at all when they weren’t throwing or putting.

In clubs I haven’t been a member of, I’ve been told to get off a course because a league was about to start. (Looking at you AC/DC!) And, by the same club, told that they reserved the park. They didn't and couldn’t offer up a reservation permit. Then the guy left when I told them I was an attorney. After that it has just been dirty looks and general gate keeping of the course by other clubs.

Also, my experience has been clubs trash courses and complain when the city gets after them or when the neighbors complain. They go full pikachu face every time.

Frankly, I’m done with clubs and leagues. You won’t get better from them. If you want to get better, you’ll realize how on your own. If you want a social club, then leagues are for you. But that’s all they are.