Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 09-16-2020, 12:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 250
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,070 Times in 1,430 Posts

Leagues are a great outlet for the competitive gene, many of us are looking to sate. Leagues have been a savior for me during COVID, as my sole source of socialization. In regular times, leagues are still a great social event. An opportunity to share what you love, with those that have the same in common. Tournaments are the same, to a degree....as they can be more serious to some. I would encourage all players to give both a shot. Some love it, some don't.

Seems like you need a new course and a new league.
Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2020, 12:21 PM

Niced 3 Times in 1 Post

I agree with this point - obviously i know nothing in life is free.

I did "sign up" for league originally with no intention of playing and paid my membership fee to support the club, but i am really not liking the format of play so i am really conflicted because i don't want to lose the course from lack of support, i love disc golf.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:41 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 36.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 165 Times in 102 Posts

You paid money to join the club. So you did your part. Don't feel bad about not playing league then. If everyone who plays disc golf, just joined their local club, then club finances would not be an issue, and I'm sure there would be less pressure to play league. Then again maybe the other guys like you, want to play with you, so they keep encouraging you to come out.
Old 09-16-2020, 01:02 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 238 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerteeuwen View Post
I agree with this point - obviously i know nothing in life is free.

I did "sign up" for league originally with no intention of playing and paid my membership fee to support the club, but i am really not liking the format of play so i am really conflicted because i don't want to lose the course from lack of support, i love disc golf.
Have you told them why you don't play in league? If not, maybe they are trying to figure out what is 'wrong'. You paid, but you don't take part.

They may wonder: Don't you like them? Are you nervous about not doing well and being made fun of? Is the time not good? Or are you just not interested? Or something else?

They don't know unless you told/tell them and they are probably wondering. I know if someone paid to join a club/league and then never showed up, I would wonder what is going on.
Old 09-16-2020, 01:08 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19
Courses Played: 103
Niced 208 Times in 107 Posts

Quote:
For months and months prior to league re-opening due to covid restrictions i am told, are you going to come to league? its so much fun! but when playing league - (on our small course that is 18 hole - 9 basket course ) we have these crazy choke points where you're waiting for 5 - 6 cards, constantly throwing fairway shots with people hiding behind tree's or people present where you don't usually have people standing, and an increased chance to be hit by flying discs ( almost several in one night) but i am told playing league is "disc golf"

Is this usually the experience playing league for everyone? are tournaments like this too?

i play so well when not playing league but during league the course is the last place i want to be.

Do you all agree that league is the only real disc golf? i hope that's not true.
It's your "choke" course that's the problem, not league. It's supposed to attract lots of players for competition and prizes, that's the point. Just don't play that night. Yes, all tournaments are like this when the course is inadequate.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-16-2020, 01:26 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 286 Times in 141 Posts

Once a round hits an hour I am looking to be done. I usually play alone on my lunch break, so anything over an hour screams "you are late for something!!!". I don't enjoy standing around waiting for other people to disc golf, I would much rather play three rounds by myself solo. I do play the occasional competitive round but I really have to prepare myself mentally for the slow play and mixed company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post
It was random draw mixed doubles with A pool and B pool players based on basic skill level.
Doubles format makes a league bearable in my mind. You have a rooting interest in half of the throws on a hole instead of just a quarter. You also have a mandatory social tie to your partner and built in things to talk about. Plotting and scheming what shots to throw takes up some of the wait time.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-16-2020, 01:37 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 3
Niced 215 Times in 109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
Leagues are the financial lifeline for many disc clubs. It is also one of the few opportunities to bring the disc golf community together. In many instances it is only because of the club that the disc golf course exists in the first place.

As a disc golfer, on most courses, it is really your responsibility to play league or support the club in some other way. If you don't do either, don't get upset when the decision comes to pull the baskets at your courses.

It really comes down to the distinction between being someone who plays disc golf and being someone who is a disc golfer.
It is kind of a mixed bag for the casual player.

I get your overall point, but I might have very limited time to play disc golf. So all these different leagues at my local course during prime playing hours result in less opportunities for me to play disc golf.

Old 09-16-2020, 01:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 180
Niced 1,468 Times in 578 Posts

Quote:
Do you all agree that league is the only real disc golf?
Nope. Disc golf is what you want it to be, as long as you are considerate of others. Pay your club dues, help out on work days when you can, and you are doing your part.

Lots of folks who love competition play tournaments and leagues. Other folks enjoy disc golf for different reasons - exercise, communing with nature, spending time with friends, etc.

Those who enjoy leagues naturally encourage others to play. But it also may be true that those who are likely to cash at leagues prefer to increase the donor pool.

Niced: (3)
Old 09-16-2020, 01:48 PM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 16 Times in 10 Posts

I'm a newbie and haven't played in any leagues or tournaments.

In doubles is it usually alternate shot for a team, or low score per person on each hole for the team? I guess it could also be where each person throws and then you choose where to throw from depending on who has the next best shot...

Old 09-16-2020, 01:59 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 286 Times in 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbford View Post
I guess it could also be where each person throws and then you choose where to throw from depending on who has the next best shot...
Almost always this. Sometimes you well get a worst shot or tough shot round, but 99% of the time it is a scramble format.

As an aside, I always found the ball golf terms of "best ball" and "scramble" insanely confusing. In disc golf we call a scramble "best shot" or "best disc", meaning you take the best shot and throw from there. It only recently became apparent why "best ball" makes sense in ball golf; good golfers actually use the same ball for an entire hole, and as such the "best ball" would be the overall score that ball got on the hole. I guess my habit of losing balls left and right made that connection hard to see.

I should also answer the begged question; "worst shot" plays from the worst position on every throw including putts, meaning you need to make both putts. "Tough shot" plays from the worst position but only a single putt needs to land.

Last edited by Dingus; 09-16-2020 at 02:01 PM.